Maharaja Premium India Pilsner | Associated Breweries & Distilleries Ltd.

poor
Maharaja Premium India PilsnerMaharaja Premium India Pilsner

Associated Breweries & Distilleries Ltd.
India

Style: German Pilsener

Added by xlperro on 08-23-2002

2.8

Reviews: 87 | Ratings: 137
4.07/5  rDev +45.4%

This is pretty good and definitely in the tradition of a German pilsner, which it clearly seemed to me.

Golden, it has a medium white head that steadily shrinks to a thin top and ring.

The aroma is rather flowery with grain, honey, bread, pine and a grassy hint.

The taste is quite German with the first sip being mostly strongly herbal and grassy hops with bitterness, soon tamed with sweet bread cruast and grain and a hint pf pine bringing up the rear. It soon mellows and melds together, with a malty, lightly bready sweetness underlying the dominant and aromatic herbal-grassy hop bitterness.

3.88/5  rDev +38.6%

11 Fl oz. bottle > 16 0z. SA glass ($1.65)
MFD: 03/07 Batch No. 35 US

Pours out a very clear pale golden color, very active with large bubbles and a creamy, bubbly 1/2" deep head. Retantion is very good for this style with mild lacing.

Smells of honey-soaked doughy bread with tangy yeast and sweet grapes. Banana, vanilla and lemmon. This is much more aromatic than I remember from the few times I had this at several Indian Restuarant's.

This is a very flavorful Imported Pilsner with a honey-bread with corn type malt flavor with subtle wheatie attributes. The balance is sublime as the sweetness mellows on the palate a blast of slightly fruity and earthy yeast notes and dried herbs but also zesty hop finish. The complexity was a big surprise.

Very light bodied, very crisp, clean and refreshing, finishing a bit dry.

I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with the rest of BA on this one, I found nothing very cheap about it except the price. I was actually expecting much less but was happily jazzed after.

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%

According to the label, this Indian Pilsner is "produced from the finest malt and imported hops with technical expertise of Belgian brewers" and it really shows in this "Premium" pils (lager)...NOT! Is this Busch Bavarian Beer?, yodel,yodel.

It pours a light straw, yellow-gold with a small white foam cap. Although well carbonated, the head dies quickly, leaving traces of lace behind.

Dusty, bitter-sweet malt fills the nose with a small waft of grassy hops to the finish.The flavor follows suit, with some corn adjunct taste to it and a watery finish that is clean. Strange soapish mouthfeel that renders this beer to an average at best...try it if you dare.

1.83/5  rDev -34.6%

A: Half-inch, fizzy white head vanishes just as quickly as it appears, and the beer itself is the color of pale straw. While the bottle's label definitely has a certain appeal, the pour does not.

S: Clean, yet musty profile in the nose, with a hint of adjunct and grain. Doesn't exactly have the smell of a "premium pilsner," as the bottle indicates.

T: And frankly, not much can be said for the taste either. Hints of a buttery side, but the hop and malt presence is weak in the sense that there is not much to balance at all. Somewhat of a detectable bitterness, and a drying finish, but nothing special.

M: Carbonation seems to be a bit on the low side, but still retains a bubbly quality, just not very crisp on the tongue.

D: Whereas pilsners mainly shoot for subtle, this one seems to under-shoot. Not enough flavor, and a bit of an unpleasant grainy adjunct taste that didn't make things any better. Not a beer I'd recommend.

2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured an effervescent golden with 1 finger+ of white head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Sweet cereal & some soapy notes

T: Metallic hops taste up front, with some cereal notes (corn flakes). Soapy notes as this warms. Finishes with more metallic notes & some dryness

MF: Thinnish with lively carbonation

Had this an Indian restraunt, else wise this was a drain poor. Still left about 30-40% of it there. Serve icecold if forced to drink this. Slightly better than BMC

3.2/5  rDev +14.3%

Maharaja Pils (not to be confused with the Avery IPA of the same name) pours
a finger of creamy white foam over a clear yellow brew. Carbonation is active,
and the nose is pils yeast and barley. The flavor is sweet-ish light malt up front
with a bit of herbal hop in the finish. There seems to be notes of something like
oak in there somewhere too. Mouthfeel is surprisingly round yet crisp. Pretty much
the most interesting brew from the Indian subcontinent I've had so far. Okay, that's
really not saying that much, but it get's the job done.

Plus the label is cool.

3.47/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear, light golden-yellow color with lots of large bubbles of carbonation. White, light head that faded away to nothing after a while.

Aroma is lightly sweet and yeasty with a bit of noble hops.

Taste is pretty good. Malty and light with some lager yeast flavors and a touch of hops flavor towards the end. Finish is clean and nice.

Mouthfeel is light, fairly thin, smooth and refreshing. One of the better light pilsner styles I've had.

1.98/5  rDev -29.3%

another asian beer..this one's from India.

deep amber yellow, slighty hazy with 1 finger head that disappeared quickly. Lousy lacing.

not a whole lot of aroma...some faint sweet grain & hops and that's it

well it certainly had some bite to it. Not sure they were hops, but some bitterness up front. Not overly sweet which was a surprise and a hint of metallic aftertaste.Not sure if it's adjuncts or what but someting about this beer tastes off.

intial mouthfeel is ok, nothing spectacular. It's after you had a swig this awful aftertaste really builds.

take Kingfisher over this swill any day

2.62/5  rDev -6.4%

Not much at all to this one. Ordered it at a local Indian restaurant not expecting much. Seems most "hot" countries have very light beers and expectedly so.

Poured a crystal clear light yellow with only a light film of a head. No discernible lace.

Nose is Light with a rice and light grain smell with nothing else.

Thin watery taste with only a light hint of malt, rice and hop.

For what it is, nothing, its not bad. Nothing offensive or difficult here and for a drink to be taken with the usually spicy Indian food I would say its a good alternative for water. This however would hardly be classified as a beer when looking for an example.

2.8/5  rDev 0%

Maharaja Premium Indian Pilsner
11 oz brown bottle
MFD date : 11/2004
Served in a pilsner glass

Pours a shiny straw yellow color with a minimal head on top that quickly vanishes. Mini carbonation bubbles race to the top of the glass.

Rather unappealing nose with some whiffs of light grains and sour notes.

Sweet and grainy tasting with some hints of corn. Slightly sour and bitter on the finish with a pressured carbonation blast. Hop presence is minimal at best and a tad disappointing for the style.

Overall, my impression is that this a beer not worth seeking out or one that I would purchase again anytime soon. However, I would be open to trying a fresher sample. I would also be curious to see how this would work with some curry spiced Indian food.

2.9/5  rDev +3.6%

yellow appearance – white head - nose straw, corn and nutmeg - taste corn, straw dry– aftertaste bland yellow appearance – white head - nose straw, corn and nutmeg - taste corn, straw dry– aftertaste bland yellow appearance – white head - nose straw, corn and nutmeg - taste corn, straw dry– aftertaste bland

4.1/5  rDev +46.4%

Tasted on 04/08/06 at Oasis Indian Restaurant in Chantilly, VA.

Typical pale yellow pilsner appearance and body with nice carbonation. I know everyone here made fun of the Belgian Brewers reference on the bottle but all I could think of was how the aroma and flavor had a light Belgain Pale Ale/Single character to it. A nice touch.

The best Indian beer I've tried to date. Unique character, refreshing, crisp and clean, and perfect with a spicy Lamb Vindaloo.

The bottle served at the restaurant was about or over a year old based on the bottling date but it was not a problem at all... I'd definitely order this beer again, and again ...

Per Label: OG 1042-1048. ABV 5%. "Technical expertise of Belgian Brewers"

(11 oz. / 330 ml)

2.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Visual: Light, clear gold, head subsided rather quickly, decent carbonation.
Aroma: Typical pils/light-lager aroma, malt dominated with sweetness that has a slight tobacco character. Tobacco character seems to dissipate as beer warms.
Flavor: Flavor and mouthfeel are somewhat hard to separate due to the impact of carbonation in this beer. Initially carbonation dominates, then malt with creaminess from carbonation, prickly carbonation in finish, then mild, dry bitterness in aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Body is decent, not too light.
Overall: Quite clean, but domination by carbonation makes it somewhat unbalanced. Beer I reviewed was brewed 11/2004, reviewed 5/2006. Typical time between brewing and purchase in US for this beer?

2.77/5  rDev -1.1%

This was a really watery-looking beer. Pale, & faded yellow with a really fizzy head. I was not working with a clean palette, but my first thought when I sniffed was, "Good Lord, champagne!" And, by God, my first sip TASTED like champagne, and kind of bubbled around on my tongue like champagne.

As I continued through the beer during the course of my meal, a few of the more beer-like qualities of this beverage began to reveal themselves. Eventually-and I'm not sure why my experience evolved like this-I found this to be a somewhat agreeable drink, if quite sweet and decidedly (to my taste) un-pilsener-like.

2.68/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ordered a bottle of this while out for Indian food last night. Mainly i ordered it because i wanted to add the cap to my collection but i figured i could review it too (note to cap collectors, the foil covering obscures a perfectly nice cap design, do not be deterred).

Pours witha crisp golden appearance. very clear and bubbly. no head is maintained. Smells like a pilsner should and tastes good...light malt flavor with piney hop taste too. As it warmed up i detected some skunkiness so i downed the rest quickly. Went well with the Indian meal but i probably won't order this fella next time.

1.85/5  rDev -33.9%

There is a curious sound this beer makes when you poor it. It is eactly like pouring a fizzy soda. Its quite loud. The head is gone in a flash and leaves a few meager stains on the surface of a beer that both (and I'm not kidding here) looks and smells exactly like apple juice.

Taste is very light in this watery brew. It is tangy with an uncontrolled fruit off-flavor. Probably won't be finishing this. It isn't particularly offensive, its just kind of a "why bother?" beer. Unpleasent aftertaste is a big blow to drinkability.

2.97/5  rDev +6.1%

I tried Maharaja while going out for Indian food. Its appearance was similar to a large-scale macro-brewed American light lager - not something that looks appetizing to me. There wasn't much I could detect in the aroma, but the taste was pretty good. There was a peachy note in the flavor and a nice hop finish. The taste of this beer definitely made it for me. Mouthfeel was thin, but within reason. I scored this one average for drinkability. I'm not sure I could drink Maharaja all day, but the one I had with dinner complimented the food well, and I could have had another.

3.82/5  rDev +36.4%

I don't know why this beer has gotten such a bad rap. I found it to be delicious and perfectly matched with moderately spicy Indian cuisine.

My bottle was manufactured in june of 2004 but ths bottle wasn’t at all skunked or past its prime.

The overwhelming odor and taste was apples, loads and loads of apples. It reminded me very much of Luxembourg’s national brew, what’s tha tone called again?

Anyways, this beer just was loaded with wonderful fruit and floral aromas. I could smell Belgian hops in it, I think. At any rate this beer shared some characteristics of a few lighter Belgian brews that I’ve had.

The appearance and mouthfeel were typical to any macro pilsner.

Very good. Better than Taj and the Horse in my book and as good, but different from the King Fischer.

I will definitely order this one again when I return to the wonderful Maharaja restaurant on Madison’s East Side.

2.01/5  rDev -28.2%

11.2 oz bottle. batch no. 650 manufactured 11/2004.
Okay so going in I know it’s probably past it’s prime.
Poured clear yellow with a white head and no lacing.
Aroma is grain and corn.
Flavor is corn,lemon,acid, with a dry finish.
Mouthfeel is sharp, overly carbonated.
If was I was at an Indian resturaunt I might drink this, but I think I'd prefere water.

1.91/5  rDev -31.8%

Very light hazy pale gold colored body, small white head, not much to look at. Smell and taste are akin to soda water. Watery and fizzy, maybe a little graininess, nary a trace of hops anywhere. Not a very good beer, no matter. If this is Maharaja, I would hate so see what Raja tastes like.

1.79/5  rDev -36.1%

Pallid amber with a few fine floaters frolicking within. The bright white cap is a majestic four fingers in height and is nicely firm. There's quite a bit of lace too, although it doesn't last. This is a better than decent look. In fact, I might have thought 'quality German pils' if I hadn't seen what bottle it came out of.

I knew the nose wouldn't maintain the standard set by the appearance because I've been smelling the beer from afar since the cap was popped. It isn't quite skunky, but it's certainly nothing that appeals to me either. It's musty and tangentially floral with a definite chemical-like undercurrent.

The odd flavor is a fair approximation of the nose. The first half of each mouthful is bland and inoffensive. Then 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'. Bitter greens, hot plastic, minerals, Band-Aids. Oddly enough, it's still drinkable. However, there's no way I'd go any deeper into the bottle if I wasn't sacrificing my palate for the sake of this review.

The mouthfeel is light, even for the style, without descending to the depths of 'light beer light'. More carbonation might have helped. As far as drinkability, it depends on what one's options are. I'd take a bottle over undergoing Chinese water torture, but not over most pilseners that I can think of.

Apparently, Maharaja Premium Indian Pilsner was brewed with 'the technical expertise of Belgian brewers'. That means it has to be good, right? Not so fast muchacho. The Indian Subcontinent is anything but a hotbed of brewing excellence. Given that, it's amazing that this little foil-capped pils isn't even as good as the better known substandard pale lagers from that neck of the jungle.

2.64/5  rDev -5.7%

Bottle obtained from Total Beverage (Colorado) and consumed the next evening in August 2005. MFD is 06/2004, batch 233. Pours a three finger nearly white head over a crystal clear pale yellow liquid...pretty much macro beer colored. Smells potently Saaz tin-like hops with mild malt sweet underneath. Also a bit of play-doh smell. Tastes quite hoppy flavored. Saaz-like zing...tin and iron and earthy. Malt sweet is underneath and is somewhat honey-like, but more noticable is a cardboard flavor. Hop bitter is amazingly low, considering how strong the flavor is. Light bodied and heavily carbonated. It causes the beer to partly foam in the mouth and stings the tongue with acrid bubbles.

2.82/5  rDev +0.7%

Man people really bashed the Maharaja so I thought I was going to start New Years Eve day off with a headache, but it truthfully wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The appearance, taste, and aroma all seemed a little too synthetic to be real beer. There was a sweet sugary taste that seemed to hide the true nastiness of this stuff. The mouthfeel is like drinking a bucket of dirty sand. My teeth have a layer of grit and fuzz on them and my throat is giving me the finger. Again, overall, not the worst beer I have ever had, but thankfully it only comes in an 11oz. bottle. I have a feeling that this one is going to hurt on the way out.

1.91/5  rDev -31.8%

11/22/04- Purchased at Wine Globe in San Mateo, CA

Appearance- Pours a light pale yellow color with minimal quickly disappearing head and very slight traces of lace.

Smell- It smells like bad cheap bum liquor. Maybe like nightrain or white port. Not a good smell. If anything maybe a smell of budwieser but worse.

Taste- Guess I wasted my $1.79 on this one. Very odd (in a bad way) taste. Don't really know how to describe it. Malt is there, but something is in the background. Something stale tasting. Stale grains? No hops do I detect.

Mouthfeel- Way to carbonated. Like seltzer. My stomach is hurting after three sips.

Drinkability- Hello sink, here comes your dinner.

3.07/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a clear pale gold, well carbonated and topped with a quickly dissapearing one finger white head. Left no lacing.
Lemon, light toast aroma, surprisingly there was no sulfur at all. I guess it was very well taken care of since my notes are from 6/04 and it was manufactured 3/03.
Richer malt taste than the color would indicate, lemon, zesty, grassy taste. A bit of pepper and herb.
Light and a bit snappy

Maharaja Premium India Pilsner from Associated Breweries & Distilleries Ltd.