4th Year Beer | Revolution Brewing

Revolution Brewing
Illinois, United States
revbrew.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Our 4th Year Beer, or “Quadruple," is inspired by the traditional Trappist strong ales produced in the abbey breweries of Belgium. Brewed with Pilsner, Munich, and Caramunich malts, the resulting beer has a deep chestnut hue. Rich flavors and aromas of fresh bread, dark fruits, honey and brown sugar are up front with the Belgian yeast strain contributing a punch of spice and fruity esters wafting up with every sip.

German Magnum and Cascade hops impart an earthy, spicy hop character. Hops are definitely not the star of the show here - just enough bitterness and flavor to ensure balance in the finished product. Dextrose and dark Belgian candi sugar boost the sugar concentration and impart a dried fruit character to this huge ale. Chamomile flowers to add to the complex aromas we have already imparted.

We are serving this beer in a 10 oz. tulip not only for presentation purposes, but more so for the sensory evaluation potential. Such a complex beer as this needs to be swirled and then have the shape of the glass allow you to take in all the wonderful aromas that are released.

Added by BrownAleMale on 02-09-2014

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Admittedly, my pour was not very hard, however there was no head. What little amount of carbonation that brought itself to the surface dissipated as quickly as it appeared. This could just be my experience, however. The color is fun to look at as it is ruby-hued and dark.

Smell: Dark fruit (namely plum and fig. The "dark fruit" smell always reminds me of figs and plums). The smell was ester-oriented as opposed to phenolic, while also containing the candi sugar aroma. After smelling this for like 3 minutes straight, I do detect a chocolatey aroma. Very sweet smelling, is what I am getting at.

Taste: Spicy, malty, sweet (candi sugar), and hints of grape/wine. As it warms up, I get the earthy tones that are from the hops, according to the menu description. I also taste some grassiness. I had this when it released and I like that I am now getting the spicy tones and a more pronounced bread-like malt flavor as opposed to just sweetness. That could be attributed to a change in palate or the fact that I have had this bottle for a few months, now.

At the finish, there is a lot of warmth from the alcohol. One thing this beer does especially well is hide the alcohol. I also am hit with another bout of spice at the finish.

Mouthfeel: This is thick. The beer switches from sticky and syrupy to grainy as I move it from my mouth. This is, by far, my favorite part about the beer.

This was a great beer for the price. I paid 10 bucks for each of my bottles, at the brewery, and I am glad to have purchased a few. It seems to be holding up well after a few months. I wonder if this will hold up for another year?

2.35/5  rDev -38.5%

Appearance - Garnet hued, little carbonation, zero head.

Smell - Sweet port-like.

Taste - Quads are my favorite style so I might be a bit overly critical of the style. There's a lot of sweet red grape, kind of cloying. It's really overly sweet.

Mouthfeel - Flat.

Overall - Quite disappointed. I don't think it's a very good representation of the style at all.

4.31/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This poured out as a nice dark brown color with a cream colored head on top. The smell of the beer has a big sweetness to it with some subtle spice in there. The taste of the beer is sweet with some dark fruits and caramel in there, subtle bitterness in the finish. The feel of the beer is rich and smooth, pretty oily needs a little more carbonation I think. Overall this beer is pretty good, not the best of the style but a nice take from an American brewer.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep maroon with white head and some clarity. Notes of grape, clove and Belgian yeast come through on the nose in a somewhat muted fashion. Nothing scream chamomile to me. The taste has a non descript flavor profile with light fruity notes and some red grape character. The sweetness is moderate, and the alcohol is well hidden. Mouthfeel is heavy with high carbonation. Overall, there is nothing wrong with this beer. The flavors are balanced and it fits the style. My problem however is just the lack of character. The flavors come off as muted and I just don't get the chamomile.

3.78/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Deep amber, almost purplish hue. Little visual carbonation and never any head.

Sweet, sugary, dark fruits. Plums, grapes, dates. I really have to draw in to get a good whiff.

Bready as hell. Plums, even grape soda.

Heavy body, light on the carbonation.

Really sweet, yet drinkable for 11%.

4th Year Beer from Revolution Brewing