Mineshaft Gap | Revolution Brewing

Revolution Brewing
Illinois, United States
revbrew.com

Style: American Barleywine

Cognac barrel-aged "Straight Jacket"

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2017 Can still a bit Hot. Had no idea it was aged in Cognac barrels until I tasted it and thought to myself, " This has a fairly similar profile to Remy Martin V.S.O.P" Great beer, just a touch on the hot side for me.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My last can from the 2018 release, poured into a Rev Deep Woods snifter. enjoyed November 2018

4.16/5  rDev -1.7%

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Danken viel to Mr. HIGHPA for sending me this 12 oz. can that I was coveting. Canned 1/4/18. Revolution’s artwork is some of my favorite; love the Trump-inspired Red Star.

The pour is a deep coppery red, & a half-level pour yields a brief, small head that quickly retreats to nothingness. Smells just like Straight Jacket: big booze, slightly spicy, & caramel. Never a bad way to begin, well, anything.

Mineshaft Gap is essentially a booze-tipped ballistic missile aimed right at the forebrain. The booze actually stuns me into immobility for a moment. I think I just felt my blood alcohol content spike in a few veins. The strongest cognac component I’ve had in a beer smothers the front & middle, & the actual beer has to struggle to the surface. Big boom of caramel, shovelfuls of brown sugar, sharp oak, vanilla, & gentle caress of spiciness in the finish. Thick to the point of being syrupy. I could drink this for…about 2 ½ cans. Then I’d need a shoulder to lean on getting up the stairs. I’d bring the last ½ can to bed, though.

Boozy, deep, thick, delicious, with plenty of layers to peel back. I’d love to have a better peek at the base beer, but when a brew is this good, one just puts such trivial objections into one’s back pocket. I don’t know what I’m saying, but this is a magnificent beer that borders on the elite.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev -4%

The smell lowered my score substantially, but I think that’s because I simply don’t like the smell of cognac in my beer. That being said, I loved the flavor it added! Like any good barleywine, it’s super complex and made for sipping. I don’t know why I still find myself surprised that I love barleywine, but every time I drink one, I feel like I just discovered a new treat. It doesn’t have the feel of a syrupy stout that I love, so I don’t know if my 4.0 for feel is even fair. I bet it could use a few years aging to calm the booziness too. I’m saving the remainder of my pack for at least a year or two. Fresh versus fresh, I still pick a Sucuba over this. Perhaps a bourbon county barleywine edges this out fresh as well, but I would need to drink them back to back to be sure. Well done Rev! Prob my second favorite behind Cafe Deth in terms of their Deepwoods ‘17 lineup.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Barleywines, by and large, are not always the most gorgeous of beers. But I love 'em. This here example pours a deep rust-mahogany that swings all the way over to like bing cherry when held up to the light. Tight half finger of off white head settles almost immediately leaving a tiny island in the middle and a thin thin ring around the edge.

Nose is a delicious blend of stone fruits (plum, dark cherry) and leather/tobacco... olde flavours. With an e. Definitely a good alcohol presence as well. Sure is 13%. Fig and sweet rich cognac.

Sweet lead in definitely reminds of the barreling... Sweet honey/grape cognac flavours, including the big booziness. Layered in underneath that central charge there are those olde flavours again... tobacco and leather and fig. Sweet cognac grapes and booze come back in to clean up at the end though.
Slick and clean, with tiny pinpricks of carbonation in an unfocused scatter-attack... and an overwhelming oily alcohol that clings to your mouth and leaves the cognac impression throughout.

I enjoy this one quite a bit. I love all the different components it presents, but I think it would definitely benefit from cooling its heels for a couple of years to really let some more of that emerge instead of being swept away by the overwhelming alcohol of the cognac. It's tasty. And I'm enjoying it, just treating it as if it were actually cognac. But I'd like to explore some of the other elements AS WELL, and at 3.5 months old it hasn't found its balance yet.
A lot of barleywines are at their best a couple of years in, and I suspect that this one is no different. If I lived in distro I'd happily pick a couple up and test this hypothesis, but I don't, and I was impatient as it looked good now. I don't think that was a wrong assessment, I just think it could be even better with some of the balance that age brings.
Thanks @FlintB for sending this one along as part of NBS BIF#007! Been really enjoying this onslaught of midwestern goodness.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L: dark ruby red with no head
S: big cognac barrel, but a bit harsh and not as smooth as I hoped for. Smells medicinal.
T: better than the nose. Here is slight medicinal flavors but I get more sweet cognac and raisins thankfully.
F: thin to medium thickness, lacks stickiness and has a bit of a harsh alcohol bite.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reddish dark brown appearance with slight tan head. Aroma is a slightly sweet malt caramel. Taste is also a slightly sweet caramel that has a strong but smooth alcohol heat. A little more aging is in order.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce can into a snifter. Canned 1/4/18, had 1/12/18.

Pours a mostly clear dark amber, with no head and no real lacing, but it may have been too cold on the pour. Smells great. Aromas of malt, cognac, figs, dates, plums, cherries, light oak, light varnish- well, it did. The taste starts with cognac, then malt, plums, figs, raisins, oak, a fair amount of alcohol. Has a wine- like flavor overall. Smooth for the ABV, a good medium body, appropriately carbonated.

Got better as it warmed, great flavor and aroma. The cognac is terrific. Had this on tap at Revolution on release date and liked it better there. Have three more cans to recapture that feeling. Totally well worth a purchase, and the price point is decent for what you get.

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned in 2018. Mahogany in color. Hazy in appearance. Caramel, brown butter, figs, brown sugar and oak. Malt driven. Medium to thick bodied. Coats the mouth. Not too sweet. Real good.

Mineshaft Gap from Revolution Brewing