Mineshaft Gap

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Mineshaft GapMineshaft Gap
Notes: Cognac barrel-aged "Straight Jacket"
Reviews: 19 | Ratings: 77 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
larryi86 from Delaware

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz, dated 1/4/18, poured into a tulip

A- A clear deep ruby red with a small off white head.

S- Caramel, dark fruits, cherries, cognac, oak, toffee, slightly earthy.

T- Toffee, caramel, cognac, oak, cherries, figs, touch of molasses, slightly earthy, very well balanced.

M- Smooth, medium to full body.

O- An excellent example of a barelywine, surprisingly easy to drink for being over 14%.

May 14, 2019
AyatollahGold from Indiana

4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pouring from a 12 oz. can, dates 01-04-2018, into a chalice glass, this beer pours out a burnt caramel color. It forms a pinky worth of tingy yellow, butterscotch colored bubbles that dissipate rather quickly.

The nose brings a huge caramel presence; like a caramel dipped in cognac. The cognac and barrel are both present; providing a balanced warming sensation and nice oak aspect. Fruit notes of raisins, figs and dates all bounce in front of a leather like dry background. Truly amazing nose.

The taste comes in with that caramel once again. It’s got the biggest caramel presence I’ve ever known a barleywine to have, and I love it. It morphs into other layers of sweetness like molasses, brown sugar and vanilla before turning to the fruit side. It’s almost like a fruit bar made with dates and raisins, drizzled with vanilla and then dipped quickly in a glass of cognac. Wow. I love the barrel presence too; that dry, clean oak remains the whole way through while allowing everything else to shine how it needs to.

The mouthfeel is warm; how I expect a 14% barrel aged barleywine to be. It’s also full bodied for the style, not leaving you wanting more on the thickness; a little syrupy at times going through and finishes with the dry barrel presence.

Overall, this sure is a winner. I like this better than straight jacket. It really is like a fruit bar made with oats, raisins and dates with huge chunks of caramel and drizzled with vanilla before being dipped into a cognac barrel. Wow, and yum.

Apr 24, 2019
ECOBOOSTINST from Iowa

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2017 Can still a bit Hot. Had no idea it was aged in Cognac barrels until I tasted it and thought to myself, " This has a fairly similar profile to Remy Martin V.S.O.P" Great beer, just a touch on the hot side for me.

Dec 28, 2018
maximum12 from Minnesota

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Danken viel to Mr. HIGHPA for sending me this 12 oz. can that I was coveting. Canned 1/4/18. Revolution’s artwork is some of my favorite; love the Trump-inspired Red Star.

The pour is a deep coppery red, & a half-level pour yields a brief, small head that quickly retreats to nothingness. Smells just like Straight Jacket: big booze, slightly spicy, & caramel. Never a bad way to begin, well, anything.

Mineshaft Gap is essentially a booze-tipped ballistic missile aimed right at the forebrain. The booze actually stuns me into immobility for a moment. I think I just felt my blood alcohol content spike in a few veins. The strongest cognac component I’ve had in a beer smothers the front & middle, & the actual beer has to struggle to the surface. Big boom of caramel, shovelfuls of brown sugar, sharp oak, vanilla, & gentle caress of spiciness in the finish. Thick to the point of being syrupy. I could drink this for…about 2 ½ cans. Then I’d need a shoulder to lean on getting up the stairs. I’d bring the last ½ can to bed, though.

Boozy, deep, thick, delicious, with plenty of layers to peel back. I’d love to have a better peek at the base beer, but when a brew is this good, one just puts such trivial objections into one’s back pocket. I don’t know what I’m saying, but this is a magnificent beer that borders on the elite.

May 08, 2018
5toutman75 from Illinois

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Canned 1/18/18
Consumed 4/20/18

The smell lowered my score substantially, but I think that’s because I simply don’t like the smell of cognac in my beer. That being said, I loved the flavor it added! Like any good barleywine, it’s super complex and made for sipping. I don’t know why I still find myself surprised that I love barleywine, but every time I drink one, I feel like I just discovered a new treat. It doesn’t have the feel of a syrupy stout that I love, so I don’t know if my 4.0 for feel is even fair. I bet it could use a few years aging to calm the booziness too. I’m saving the remainder of my pack for at least a year or two. Fresh versus fresh, I still pick a Sucuba over this. Perhaps a bourbon county barleywine edges this out fresh as well, but I would need to drink them back to back to be sure. Well done Rev! Prob my second favorite behind Cafe Deth in terms of their Deepwoods ‘17 lineup.

7/4/20 drinking a second can. The smell has died down. It smells like a boozy barleywine but it smells appetizing if you like the style. On the palette it’s smooth and full flavored. There’s so many flavors. It’s a wonderful sipper. A great barleywine. I raised my score from a 4.06 now that it has had some age to it

Apr 21, 2018
kemoarps from Washington

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Barleywines, by and large, are not always the most gorgeous of beers. But I love 'em. This here example pours a deep rust-mahogany that swings all the way over to like bing cherry when held up to the light. Tight half finger of off white head settles almost immediately leaving a tiny island in the middle and a thin thin ring around the edge.

Nose is a delicious blend of stone fruits (plum, dark cherry) and leather/tobacco... olde flavours. With an e. Definitely a good alcohol presence as well. Sure is 13%. Fig and sweet rich cognac.

Sweet lead in definitely reminds of the barreling... Sweet honey/grape cognac flavours, including the big booziness. Layered in underneath that central charge there are those olde flavours again... tobacco and leather and fig. Sweet cognac grapes and booze come back in to clean up at the end though.
Slick and clean, with tiny pinpricks of carbonation in an unfocused scatter-attack... and an overwhelming oily alcohol that clings to your mouth and leaves the cognac impression throughout.

I enjoy this one quite a bit. I love all the different components it presents, but I think it would definitely benefit from cooling its heels for a couple of years to really let some more of that emerge instead of being swept away by the overwhelming alcohol of the cognac. It's tasty. And I'm enjoying it, just treating it as if it were actually cognac. But I'd like to explore some of the other elements AS WELL, and at 3.5 months old it hasn't found its balance yet.
A lot of barleywines are at their best a couple of years in, and I suspect that this one is no different. If I lived in distro I'd happily pick a couple up and test this hypothesis, but I don't, and I was impatient as it looked good now. I don't think that was a wrong assessment, I just think it could be even better with some of the balance that age brings.
Thanks @FlintB for sending this one along as part of NBS BIF#007! Been really enjoying this onslaught of midwestern goodness.

Apr 18, 2018
yesterdayfaraway from Missouri

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L: dark ruby red with no head
S: big cognac barrel, but a bit harsh and not as smooth as I hoped for. Smells medicinal.
T: better than the nose. Here is slight medicinal flavors but I get more sweet cognac and raisins thankfully.
F: thin to medium thickness, lacks stickiness and has a bit of a harsh alcohol bite.

Apr 05, 2018
Radcpa from Washington

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reddish dark brown appearance with slight tan head. Aroma is a slightly sweet malt caramel. Taste is also a slightly sweet caramel that has a strong but smooth alcohol heat. A little more aging is in order.

Apr 05, 2018
stortore from Illinois

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce can into a snifter. Canned 1/4/18, had 1/12/18.

Pours a mostly clear dark amber, with no head and no real lacing, but it may have been too cold on the pour. Smells great. Aromas of malt, cognac, figs, dates, plums, cherries, light oak, light varnish- well, it did. The taste starts with cognac, then malt, plums, figs, raisins, oak, a fair amount of alcohol. Has a wine- like flavor overall. Smooth for the ABV, a good medium body, appropriately carbonated.

Got better as it warmed, great flavor and aroma. The cognac is terrific. Had this on tap at Revolution on release date and liked it better there. Have three more cans to recapture that feeling. Totally well worth a purchase, and the price point is decent for what you get.

Mar 29, 2018
Davepoolesque from Massachusetts

4.21/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned in 2018. Mahogany in color. Hazy in appearance. Caramel, brown butter, figs, brown sugar and oak. Malt driven. Medium to thick bodied. Coats the mouth. Not too sweet. Real good.

Mar 23, 2018
kevanb from Illinois

3.67/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, dated 01.04.18, poured into a Revolution pint glass.

The beer pours a dark brown/red amber color, burgundy and ruby hues with a tan head, about a finger tall that has good retention and yields nice soapy spots of lace. The aroma is pleasant, big caramel and brown sugar, rich grains, stone fruits, soft cognac with some candied hops and pine. The flavors are good, bitter pine and candied hops, rich dark grains, caramel and brown sugar with some raisin and fig, cognac barrel, charred oak that's still soft and chewy, a bit earthy with a bitter finish. The mouthfeel is good, medium body that feels a bit thinner, coating and soft with some lightly prickly carbonation and a warm dry finish.

Verdict: A nice barleywine from Revolution. Not as balanced or refined as Straight Jacket, feels hoppier and more bitter despite cognac usually being a sweeter treatment than bourbon. The cognac does offer some nice flavors to the beer, but this still feels a bit raw.

Mar 13, 2018
Prager62 from Colorado

4.44/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 12oz. can dated 01-04-2018 poured in a Revolution Deep Wood snifter.

Look- Pours a very light caramel brown producing a thin ring of light tan foam that hangs around. The color appears more ruby red looking down through the glass. No lacing is present, just a slight oily residue on the glass.

Smell- Boozy sweet caramel, spice, mild perfume, musty oak.

Taste- Sweet, spicy and slightly floral booze. A hint of butterscotch, followed by oak and a little burnt corn in the finish.

Feel- Oily, slick and slightly creamy. A burst of alcohol heat going down.

Overall- Another barrel aged winner from the Revolution Deep Wood series. The taste from the barrel reminds me of a mild spiced rum more than cognac, but that's just my two cents and doesn't detract from what is another high quality barrel aged beer from them. This series has me quickly forgetting about all things Bourbon County.

Feb 04, 2018
Stevedore from Oregon

4.09/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz can, served in a snifter glass. Pours a medium darker caramel brown body, one finger white head, short retention and no lacing. Smell is hefty dark fruit, oak, caramel, toffee, a bit of vanillin, toasted grain, more caramel and butterscotch. The dark fruit seems to be coming from the cognac, and it is a distinct aroma that makes clear that it is not a bourbon base like Straight Jacket. Flavour comes out to be fairly similar, tons of butterscotch, but a fair bit of dark fruit and oxidation from the cognac barrel. A bit weird, but still good. Mouthfeel is medium-fuller bodied, good carbonation, smooth and sweet on the finish, fair bit of dark fruit as well. Cognac did some weird stuff here, but it is still an overall high quality barleywine with lots of great flavours.

Jan 21, 2018
GuyFawkes from Illinois

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Canned 1/4/18; drank 1/14/18 @ the Yarchives.

See-through purple brown appearance.

A violent pour yielded a huge khaki head; strong lace.

Sweet cognac with mild booze heat, caramel, cherry & fresh oak notes in the nose.

Thick, sticky mouthfeel.

Dry cognac & mild cherry flavors up front; caramel, oak & mild booze heat notes on the finish.

A nice take on the style; the cognac is perhaps a bit strong. Maybe a year might tame this...

Jan 15, 2018
darktronica from Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2018 can, released at 14.3%. I'm a sucker for ageing in brandy barrels, and barleywines are one of my favorite styles, so this is right up my alley. Vinous on the nose, with a strong, heavenly booziness that attacks my olfactory nerves--I can't wait. The heat from the barrel really comes through on the palate, overshadowing the subtleties and balance I expect from having had multiple vintages of Straight Jacket. Tannins and dark stonefruit abound, lurking underneath the oak; I would expect this to age marvelously as a consequence. (If you drink it fresh, drink it cold; room temperature accentuates the boozy heat to the point of the alcoholic sting taking over the rest of the flavor profile.)

Jan 13, 2018
hardysf from Michigan

4.89/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This was a phenomenal barley wine. Only 70 gallons ever made. Aged in cognac barrels. Smooth taste of cognac, balanced by sweet malts with an ending of oak.

Apr 20, 2015
emerge077 from Illinois

3.99/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Fruit forward, raisiny with a little bit of toasted nuts.
Snifter at the brewery, dark brown, bright clarity, minimal lacing.

Smell is slightly sweet and fruity. Raisins and nuts.

Taste is pretty similar, sweet and raisiny, hints of a sweet malty base. Barleywine gets obliterated by the barrel, but if you're a cognac fan maybe that's a good thing, thick and chewy feel, overall it's interesting but not my favorite Rev beer.

Apr 17, 2015
GreesyFizeek from New York

3.07/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

On tap at Extreme Beer Fest in Boston, MA.

This one pours a dark-ish brown, with no head or lacing.

Smelling this one, I would have thought it was simply straight cognac. The barrel completely overwhelms the rest of this beer. The only other thing I get is booze.

This was a bit of failure, in my humble opinion. I like cognac enough, but the beer here is completely subsumed. I imagine the barleywine normally tastes pretty good, since Straight Jacket is well-regarded, but I can't really tell here. I guess I get the tiniest bit of caramel character, but that's even a stretch.

This is fairly thick, with a syrupy body, and a lingering boozy, slightly astringent finish. It's hard to drink, somewhat of a chore.

My first disappointing Revolution beer, back to the drawing board with this one.

Mar 23, 2015
Knapp85 from Pennsylvania

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out as a dark amber color. The smell was on the sweet side, some dark fruit aromas and a hefty dose of barrel there too. The taste is about the same as the nose, very rich caramel flavors with more dark fruits and sugars. Overall the beer was enjoyable for me personally.

Mar 21, 2015