Café Deth

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Café DethCafé Deth
Notes: A barrel-aged Russian imperial oatmeal stout brewed with a host of wonderful specialty malts, flaked oats and oat malt to impart a rich, silky mouthfeel and deep, complex malt flavors and aromas reminiscent of dark baker’s chocolate, fresh brewed coffee and caramel candy. This keg is made just for the event with cocoa nibs and Dark Matter Coffee
Reviews: 91 | Ratings: 394 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.76/5  rDev +8.2%

30 April 2020 - Beer #82

Corona Day #49

Acquired via trade

Appearance: 5 - black as tar. Yep, I went there. Minimal head, but loads of lacing.

Nose: 4 - almost no barrel or coffee. I get just a very intensely roasty stout.

Taste: 5 - like Astronaut Status, the excellence is subtle. Not at all boozy, you wouldn't believe it was almost 15%. Definitely some coffee, but very understated. Nearly no barrel, but I almost taste some cinnamon. Highly complex, but again, subtle.

Mouth: 5 - thickens as you chew it. Coating everything all the time, but not overly sticky.

Overall: 5 - a beer-lover's delight. I think I may have enjoyed the regular Deth's Tar better, but they're hard to compare; this is a completely different animal. A good animal, though, like a chinchilla or a barred owl.

Cheers!

CraftFan5 from New Jersey, May 04, 2020
4.19/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Traditional optics. Aroma is barrel forward - dark chocolate fudge, vanilla, rolled oats, wet oak, bourbon. Coffee is there but never fully presents itself. Palate is super fudgey, deep cacao / baker’s chocolate upfront, medium roasted coffee ducks in-and-out, hot on the backend with some bourbon & oak. It’s a good beer, sure, but I really wanted more expression from the coffee. I appreciate the fact is doesn’t bombard you with coffee flavor, and it definitely supports the beer profile nicely, but it feels just a little bit lacking. Mouthfeel is very thick & coating

ajm5108 from Pennsylvania, Feb 04, 2020
4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Revolution Café Deth, 14.8% ABV. Pours thick and black with a short brown head. Nose is dark fruit and coffee. Taste is chocolate, caramel, bourbon, and coffee, moderately sweet, slightly bitter. Excellent mouthfeel, overall outstanding to near world class.

bbtkd from South Dakota, Jan 18, 2020
4.57/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Welcome to this week's opening salvo in New Beer(s) from @jkblr Sunday (Week 777), MKIII! I had CANsidered CANtinuing with these next ones at the end of last week, but @jkblr gave me the wave-off & I aborted the mission at that juncture. Today, I am getting an early start in the hope that pacing will enable me to get them al in over the course of the day. We shall see.

From the CAN: "Imperial Stout with Coffee"; "Limited Edition Deep Wood Series"; "A weaponized quantity of freshly roasted whole bean coffee from Dark Matter Coffee Roasters imbues our Deth’s Tar Barrel-Aged Imperial Oatmeal Stout with assertive coffee aromatics without overshadowing the base beer on the palate. Pair with rich food or enjoy on its own. Keep cold. Enjoy now. We mean it."; "Imperial Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels steeped with Coffee"; "Brewed In Chicago".

OMFG! "Weaponized?!?" It sounds like my morning cuppa joe that has been known to cause fainting in the unsuspecting. I am retired U.S. Navy sailor whose day used to revolve around the drinking of coffee. We used to experiment with Mess Decks coffee to get it just right, finally hitting upon sprinkling ground cinnamon atop the grounds before closing the lid for the perk to begin. CANother time, in a small batch in the Armory, we used Black Powder! Talk about weaponized coffee, it was like liquid Benzedrine & we were so amped up that we held a field day in MT52 to the point that it gleamed! Onward.

The Crack! of the vent served as a precursor to what might follow. It revealed a brimful craft CAN that gave me a startling spritz across my fingertips! 8=O I then beCAN a slow, gentle C-Line Glug into my awaiting goblet, watching as it formed a quick two fingers of fizzy, foamy, bubbly, deep-brown head that quickly fizzled into mere wisps. 8=( Color was obsidian Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. In fact, light seemed to be bending towards it, as though a liquified black hole were in my kitchen with me! Where is The Gelt Gang when I need them?!? Nose had a pronounced booziness along with an evident coffee presence. 8=O

I was the Administrative Assistant to the Project Supervisor on the Self-Defense Test Ship (SDTS) (XDDG-31) from 1994 to 1997 & while I was pissed that it was squandering my shore duty, my boss, a former commissioned officer, was not averse to tippling in the evening once the anchor had been set. We would sit on the fantail, smoking cigars & drinking (usually) bourbon-laced coffee. This beer reminded me of those evenings.

I also got a vegetal smell, like freshly-picked peppers or tomatoes from the garden. Hmm. I just acquired new neighbors (again) & I am hoping that they will allow me to grow some veggies in their bed this Summer. Following my surgery in mid-June, I ate nothing but FF&V (fresh fruit & vegetables) for nearly a month. People were bringing veggies for me & I was gobbling them up. I like that smell, is my point.

Mouthfeel was medium, but a bit thin for this exalted style. Would Kate the Great have approved? Perhaps not. Once I had that first draught in my mouth, I just let it roll around on my tongue to allow it to a) warm & b) get a better sense of it. The bourbon-aging was unquestionable! Phew. It really came with a fusel alcohol heat & punch. Phew. The swallow felt like I had ingested barium as I could trace the length of my esophagus into my stomach a it traveled. I rocked back, feeling like I had taken a solid punch to my solar plexus! Phew. Once I recovered from the initial shock, I was ready for a seCANd go-'round. This time, I was better prepared for what was CANming & I could better register/appreciate the coffee's presence. By gar, this was no playin' around! No wonder @jkblr suggested that I take my foot off of the gas at the end of last week! Phew.

Now, it was time for some music. I am currently reading "Kick Out the Jams" by Don McLeese & listening to the MC5's album is the perfect acCANpaniment to this beer. Revolution, it is.

Man, an hour into this monster & I haven't even drank half of its CANtents! I feel like I am back in the ring, wildly overmatched with a MUCH bigger opponent. My eyes are watering unCANtrollably & I have broken out in a cold sweat in CANticipation of what was CANming next. My corner refuses to throw in the towel, although I am close to begging for sweet relief. 8=( Finish, while nearly finishing me, was hot & dry, not unexpectedly. Phew. At this point, though, I had a MUCH greater CANpreciation for the melding of the flavors. The coffee became more assertive as I drank through the CANtents & while the bourbon was unabating, it was less intense than it had been at the outset. Baby, if I was lookin' to get right, this has me on the path! YMMV.

woodychandler from Pennsylvania, Jan 12, 2020
4.45/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours pitch black. Small tan head that dissipates.
Smell is bourbon, dates, bourbon, coffee. All distributed quite well.
Flavor starts with vanilla and coffee. Then moves to bourbon and dates. Really nuanced and changes as it warms.
Thick yet drinkable.
Very excellent beer for style.

Bshaw22 from Wisconsin, Jan 04, 2020
4.18/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Black as night with no light penetration. There’s a fingernail of brown around most of the rim. The aroma is of pungent coffee, vanilla, and bourbon. I’m tasting dark roasted coffee, vanilla, and bourbon. The mouth is very alcoholic, chewy, and dense.

Franziskaner from Missouri, Jan 04, 2020
4.62/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dec 31 2019
12oz can dated 10-11-19. Poured into a tulip glass. Bought at ML Liquor.

Pour: less head, less of a ring, fewer clouds. Not sure why so mediocre relative to last can a year ago. 4.0

Nose: booze, sweet malt, dark chocolate. 4.5

Taste: same as a year ago. Awesome. 4.75

Mouthfeel: same. 4.75

Overall: other than look, every bit as good as a year ago. Absolutely a top BA coffee stout. 4.75

Scores above are a combined rating of both reviews.

=====

Dec 21 2018
12oz can. Poured into a pint glass. Didn’t get a chance to find the canned on date. Bought at Barrels & Vines.

Pour: deep brown black color. Two finger dark tan head. Head lasted until finishing ina thick ring with thick clouds. Really good looking. 5

Nose: didn’t really get a chance to smell. But, got some dark chocolate, a little booze, some sweet malt. 4

Taste: big dark/semi-sweet chocolate up front. Dark, brandied fruit, burnt caramel, coffee and some booze; all well balanced. Semi sweet malts provide a backbone with slight bitterness throughout. Outstanding. 4.75

Mouthfeel: thick, viscous, luscious. Moderate carbonation. Coats the tongue but not cloying and finishes relatively clean. You can feel the oatmeal velvety smoothness. Outstanding. 4.75

Overall: ranks with BCBS, Bell’s Black Note, Artisan BA Paradise (forgetting the official name) and other top BA stouts. Absolutely try it if you see it. I’ll be looking for more. 4.75

Wolvmar from Michigan, Jan 01, 2020
4.53/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pitch black. 2 finger brown head. The head retention is just amazing for such a high ABV beer. As the head dissipates, it looks like it's boiling and bubbling. Eventually it calms down and slowly dissipates. No lacing on the glass.
The nose is slightly sweet, but also a pleasing coffee note mixed in. There's notes of caramel, toffee and chocolate as well.
Taste - pretty much same as the nose. Lots of barrel flavor in here. Toffee, caramel. The coffee also adds another bit to this puzzle, and, while not strong, it really is a good backbone to this beer.
Thick and full bodied. Slight alcohol burn, but that doesn't surprise me.
Solid BA RIS. Revolution makes some damn good beers.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Toronado in San Francisco, CA.

Raul been seeing, and Raul been wanting - so Raul got.

Baby 6 ounce pour that will still knock a kangaroo punched wallop because it hits you big at 14.8%. Although, tbh, I’m a lil thrown off cuz the guy next to me is eating a pretty aromatic hot dog, but nah, I got this. Beer is big all around like that girl Lizzo. Yeah, I’d rock that. Big, hefty, and hella smooth for being so robust.

Yep!

RaulMondesi from California, Nov 23, 2019
3.99/5  rDev -9.3%

2019 vintage. Canned on 10/11/19. 12oz can poured into a tulip. Pours black with a dark khaki head that fades leaving nice retention and lacing. The aromas have some roasted coffee along with some chocolate. Some caramel. The bourbon is balanced in the aroma department. Malts are there. The flavors have a nice amount of chocolate. Nice blend of milk chocolate and dark chocolate. More caramel along with some hints of vanilla and coconut. The coffee leaves its mark without completely dominating. Really nice wood/oak characteristics. The bourbon blends well and accentuates everything that's going on. Possibly some rye in the mix to give this one a subtle spiciness. It's not bitter, but there's a nice little sweetness going on. Nice malt backbone. Mild warmth in the finish, but the alcohol is well hidden, especially for being such a big brew. Mouthfeel is full-bodied with moderate carbonation. It's fluffy, silky, smooth and easy to drink. This beer is the epitome of being dangerously drinkable.

This is a really nice barrel-aged stout. Balance is the key with this one. Bourbon, oak/wood, coffee and chocolate all come through without any of them shining or dominating. I suppose I was personally expecting more of a coffee presence, but it's still definitely there, don't get me wrong. Once again, the balance is pretty impressive. Well done. It's definitely better than my "numerical score" might indicate.

BB1313 from Ohio, Nov 12, 2019
4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz can stamped FILLED 10-11-2019 (30 days ago) poured into a Spiegelau stout glass at fridge temp 14.8% ABV. The beer pours dense dark brown bordering on black. There is zero light penetration through the body and the head is full, slow to recede and mocha in color. Maintains a head until the end and leaves some lacing with each drink. The aroma is rich with bourbon, vanilla, caramel, coffee and oak barrel. The taste is beautiful integration of all the aromas with slightly sweet dark malt first, then bourbon, vanilla and oak with a subtle, moderately bitter coffee finish. The mouthfeel is full to medium bodied with just less than medium carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Very slightly boozy, but only for an instant within each sip. No cloying sweetness. Overall, outstanding. This is an impressive feat of barrel aging. Elements of bourbon, barrel, stout and coffee are all there with no one overshadowing the others. Recommended.

jkblr from Indiana, Nov 10, 2019
4.81/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2019 version. Ok, so I've had this beer twice. Once on tap at a release party and one out of a 12oz can. On tap, incredible. As soon as I grabbed the glass I could smell the Dark Matter coffee. As the glass got closer to the nose the coffee aroma became more intense. The taste was as intense as the smell. Coffee, coffee, coffee with a little heat at the end. This was the BEST coffee beer I ever had. Then I had it out of the can. Gotta say, not the same. Still a strong coffee presence but not close to what it was on draft. Still really good and rivals and even surpasses any coffee GI BCBS. As reference I am scoring the draft version i had. Ahhhh memories.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2019 vintage. Poured into a Rev snifter. >1 inch dark brown head. Nose is booze and a roasty/nutty coffee blend. Taste is chocolate, same roasty/nutty coffee, boozy yet buried for 14.8%, some vanilla. Sweet. Mouthfeel is medium. This is a top rate BA coffee stout.

flat_lander from Illinois, Oct 25, 2019
4.02/5  rDev -8.6%

12oz can courtesy of ovaltine. Hadn't noticed the high alcohol content until now. Ye Gods, what a monster! According to the stamp on the bottom of the can, this was "filled" on November 8, 2018.

Pitch black in color, with a thin, dark tan head that dropped quickly (not surprising, given the strength) but never entirely died away.

Nose is dominated by bourbon. The coffee is a distinctly supporting aroma by comparison.

This tastes like an imperial stout wearing the uniform of bourbon while wrapped in a thin cloak of coffee. While in addition to the coffee, there are elements of chocolate, toffee and brown sugar, but the bourbon barrel aging has ensured that the oaky, vanilla notes of the barrels and the bourbon flavor of what was once in them rules the roost. As it warms the booziness becomes more obvious.

Sticky, chewy mouthfeel.

A bit too "hot" to reveal any subtleties right now. It's not bad now, but I suspect this would be a much better beer if laid down for a while. Thanks, Mike!

woemad from Washington, Aug 05, 2019
4.41/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

I tried the 2017 addition at the brewery. It poured an opaque dark with tan head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent had bold roast and coffee notes. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink with pleasant mocha and toffee presence. The mouthfeel was fuller in body with good carbonation. Overall its a solid beer.

4.39/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tasted from can. Pours dark brown with beige head. Huge coffee aroma. Taste is extremely balanced. Coffee, chocolate, caramel, molasses. Excellent stout.

4.41/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with a poorly retained one inch tan head that left no lacing. Smells of dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, vanilla and whiskey. Tastes of bakers chocolate, cocoa, coffee, whiskey, vanilla, roasted malts, caramel, toffee, and a bit of nuttiness. Full bodied, light carbonation, creamy and chewy mouth feel.

EMH73 from New York, Jun 02, 2019
4.02/5  rDev -8.6%

Matte black with a creamy tan head settling to a ridged collar.

A roasty woody char emulates Tootsie Roll as mildly hot and peppery bourbon accent. Creamy dark chocolate ribbons in the background of this slick, medium-light bodied ale as the crisp crackly carbonation finishes semi-dry. The mocha flavor I was looking for is somewhat muted, and the exhale is splintery and ashy.

Sabtos from Ohio, May 22, 2019
4.48/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Been waiting for this one for a little while. Canned 11/08/18
Pours a mocha black fizzy decent head with medium to lower retention, bit of lacing, but long legs, nice for an almost 15% beer

Nose very rich intense dark malts, black roasty malt with tons of roasted aromas, burnt sugar and roasted caramel, some roasted coffee but not a ton, layers of chocolate mostly dark chocolate, cocoa, bitter chocolate, some baking spices, cookie dough wafer, toffee, etc, some vanilla and toasted buttery oak and flashes of whiskey, quite a bit of caramel and toasted toffee later

Taste again super intense and rich, layers of roast and chocolate, dark chocolate, cocoa, a little fudge, chocolate ganache, etc, into some mocha and roasted coffee beans, mild espresso with roasted malts etc, as well as some creamy oats, some caramel and burnt sugar as well as a touch of smokey notes, a bit nutty and some earthy notes, a bit of bitter roast and mild earthy spicy hops, nutty coffee, some baking spices and vanilla thanks to the barrel and maybe the roasted malts, a bit of alcohol flavor but not fusel, a bit of whiskey and toasted oak as well, fair rich vanilla, drying finish not too sticky and a bit more alcohol but still not nearly 15%, and more roasty and spicy hop bitterness

Mouth is fuller bod, rich intense and chewy, a bit rich creamy, with some warming tingly alcohol but not a ton, finish was not too sticky either

Overall intense and tasty, well done combination of great flavors, nice bitterness, not too much alcohol, finishes well, good body without being sticky, loads of chocolate, etc. However, I feel like it could step up a few points with a bit more coffee, and especially a bit more whiskey and barrel, which are both there but not very present. However, this is still a delicious beer.

jlindros from Massachusetts, May 18, 2019
4.43/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours pitch black with a two finger foamy tan head. Light amount of soapy lacing.

S - Aroma is vanilla, caramel and bourbon.

T - The taste is black coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, caramel and a big bourbon finish.

M - Full body with medium carbonation. Syrupy mouthfeel with a soft dry finish.

O - This is a very BBA RIS. The flavors are so nicely balance with the big bourbon finish. A slow sipper for sure, but definetly worth seeking out.

TreyIsWilson from Michigan, Apr 24, 2019
4.53/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours thick motor oil black, even around the edges with about 1.5 fingers of tan colored head that dissipates rather quickly. Smell is oak, bourbon, vanilla, toffee, brown sugar, and very little coffee. I’m impressed with the layering of the flavors but disappointed in the absence of coffee from the nose. The nose perfectly translates to the palate with only a slight bourbon hit on the finish and some warmth afterward. Some coffee in the finish and aftertaste but that’s kind of a disappointment too. It’s a great beer, but there’s not enough coffee in it for me, especially since it’s branded as such. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an amazingly awesome beer and I’m in the 4.5 range overall, but you gotta give me some more coffee here. All that said, the layering of the flavors in this is superb

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - 1.5 finger mocha head dissolves quickly, leaving behind a menacing black body.

S - booze, chocolate, coffee, caramel, molasses.

T - wowza. Bourbon is prominent, but nicely countered by quality coffee. Semisweet chocolate, caramel liqueur, vanilla, wood, char. Low bitteeness. Moderate-low sweetness. Moderate booziness.

F - medium-full body with lower carb.

O - a monster of a stout.

CanConPhilly from Pennsylvania, Mar 10, 2019
4.39/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L - pours a deep, dark, fudge brown. Yellowy tan head with a spackling of brown sugar brown. Good retention.

S - heavy on the earth. Woodsy bourbon and whiskey. Toasted vanilla, dark chocolate chips, and a sprinkling of dark fruits in toward the end. Excellent depth, but not as much coffee as expected!

T - barrel-forward. More whiskey than bourbs, but it's out in full force either way. Baker's chocolate, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Intense and warming. Vague citrus rind (think: orange) adds a playfully fruity character half way through, much like an Old Fashioned. Hints of bold-roast coffee on the finish, but still noticeably absent . Fortunately, the rest of the beer more than makes up for it.

F - oats add a creamy up-front viscosity, but it's fake news as the over-carbonation breaks it apart with just a touch too much froth for a beer of this style and ABV. You want that rich af motor oil through and through, but we're left with one too many bubbles at the end. Far from terrible, and I'm mostly nitpicking here on an otherwise good beer.

O - man, this one toes that fire-breathing line. After one sip of this, I can feel the smoldering whiskey coals being raked across my tongue, but it barely escapes alcohol burn territory. Excellent barrel character.

agreenman19 from Connecticut, Mar 09, 2019
4.49/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with a finger of tan head.
Smells of dark roasted coffee, barrel, vanilla, dark chocolate.
Taste follows, dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, light barrel, vanilla.
Full bodied, smooth texture.
Overall another great one from Revolution. Love these small format offerings of these big beers!

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour is as black as a December night in Northern Alaska, black to the edges with a smidge of mahogany brown on the outer limits, all supporting a rich tan head.

The barrel leads the nose (I always notice the barrel first because I don’t do whiskey/bourbon well - at ALL - as a stand-alone drink, but LOVE it in big beers), and there’s also char and dark chocolate, but what I’m loving is the dark stone fruit and coffee combo pack. Just wow.

The stone fruit is more forward on the taste, and then the dark chocolate and barrel notes are noted, with big vanilla flavors, and then the roasty coffee brings the curtain down. The mouthfeel is chewy, as expected in this gargantuan beer.

This is a magnificent beer, IMHO. I only wish I had purchased more.

ovaltine from Indiana, Feb 18, 2019