Eugene | Revolution Brewing

Revolution Brewing
Illinois, United States
revbrew.com

Style: American Porter

A striking, robust porter full of warmth and chocolate malt. Eugene is a robust porter named after Eugene V. Debs, an American union leader and activist who led the Pullman Railroad strike in 1894. An assortment of Belgian specialty malts form a complex structure of toasted grain and caramel flavors. Dark chocolate malt makes this porter black as night and infuses it with its distinct intense, chocolate essence.

Added by emerge077 on 02-04-2010

Ratings: 1,077 |  Reviews: 171

2.5/5  rDev -38%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -37.5%

I had this beer three times on tap, once at the brewery and twice at the brewpub before deciding to review. I really wanted to like it but I get the same results. It just seems to be too thin to be a porter of the style like an Edmund Fitzgerald or a Black Butte.

A - Pours a dark brown with a decent head. Lacing isn't bad but didn't seem to last long in my glass.

S - Oak, caramel and cocoa is what I take away from this

T- I can't get into it, it just feels like someone added too much water to the beer and it does not have a deep satisfying flavor.

M- Thin, easy to go down but not what I expected.

This beer really misses the mark in overall taste and mouthfeel for me. It just does not have the body and flavor I expect as it seems watered down. Thus the low scores for taste and mouthfeel.

2.6/5  rDev -35.5%

2.64/5  rDev -34.5%

No coffee flavor. Dominant prune juice taste

2.67/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From a 12 oz can, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: It looked good while I was pouring it, a nice opaque black with a very faint deep ruby red color around the edges. I poured it semi-aggressive, the head exploded into a 3 finger head, and I would have liked to describe it, but it disappeared into absolutely nothing in less than two seconds. Other than that, looks like your standard porter.

Smell: Some roasted malts, and a slight sweetness which may be a faint fruit smell. It's a very pleasant smelling beer, which leads me into...

Taste: This is where this beer falls short. It's such an average porter. I can only taste what seems like a hint of milk chocolate and a tiny bit of coffee, but it's so subtle you can barely notice it. I've tried this beer cold, chilled, room temp, etc., to give it the benefit of the doubt, because I really wanted to like this beer. Sadly, it falls short in every aspect. I would recommend this as an introductory porter. Nothing is going to scare you away from this beer, it isn't bad, nothing stands out to keep you wanting another one, though.

Mouthfeel: It isn't as heavy as other people seem to think. It's about as heavy as Guinness, take that as you will.

Overall: I really, really wanted to like this beer. The smell drew me in, but the taste and thin mouth feel let me down. For the same price, you're better off picking up some Founders Porter.

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

It was only just okay

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.11/5  rDev -22.8%

Had on draft. Thin-bodied and underwhelming.

Eugene from Revolution Brewing