Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by mcallister on 04-29-2011

Reviews: 14 | Ratings: 23
4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at the brewpub, DLD Eve 2011. This was served in smallish goblets, I'm guessing 8-10oz pours. It's dark, more black than brown, with a thin tan cap of finely celled foam.

Many at the table felt this smelled like BCS, and I guess it did a bit but to me it seemed my nose could choose between them. Nice bourbon character, also loads of maltiness, roasty and sweet, some chocolate, dark fruits, etc.

Very sweet initially, with bourbon flavors complimenting but never matching the sweetness. No burn at all, little evident alcohol in flavor (although definitely there, I felt it when I stood afterwards). Delicious, very drinkable, really nice barrel treatment.

Medium bodied, others characterized it as thin but it seemed OK to me, maybe similar to FiftyFifty Eclipse stouts in that attribute. On that note, this is less sweet than Eclipse so maybe this is a tad better in my book. I think it will be a hit, I enjoyed it a lot.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

A - Black beer, mocha head that rose up about a finger or so, and faded away to nothingness. Decent retention, nice looking beer.

S - If you gave me a glass of this and told me it was Bourbon County Stout, I would believe you. Chocolate, vanilla, some roast, and a nice bourbon scent. Very appealing.

T - Not quite as sweet as BCS, but very heavy on teh chocolate. The vanilla comes out nicely, and the bourbon is surprisingly not hot. Some good char in there after it warms up a little bit. Very easy to drink and quite tasty. I had more than one.

M - My only complaint about this beer, wish it would thicken up a bit. Approriate carbonation.

O - Fantastic beer, easy to drink, great taste. Would highly recommend.

4.1/5  rDev -7%

On-tap at the brewpub and poured into snifter.

A - Pours black, mocha-colored head, thin ring around the glass. There's a yellow hue where the beer once was after swirling around a bit. Some small bubbles on top but mostly just blackness.

S - Sweet milk chocolate, dark fruits, slight roast, smooth alcohol. The sweetness is big here, very decadent, both in dark fruits and chocolate. The malty roast is very slight as the beer warms along with a nice smooth alcohol presence.

T - Huge sweetness, dark fruits, chocolate, caramel, oak. The chocolate is just big, plain and simple, followed by oak, dark fruits, caramel. The booze is there, but the sweetness almost overpowers it. If not for the barrel-aging, I would think this would be too sweet, but the oak and bourbon help give it balance.

M - Perhaps a bit too thin, good carbonation, creamy finish.

D - While this is a very sweet beer, the bourbon barrel aging has contributed to it's balance. It's a big boozy monster, but I knew that coming in. I wouldn't say it hides the 13% well, but I wouldn't guess it was that high. It was so rich, this was a one and done for me, although I did enjoy it.

Edit: Taste is 4.25 so I adjusted the look to reflect what I felt is a deserving overall score.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Midnight black with a thick dark mocha head.

Sweet

Bourbon hits quick and hard followed by sweet vanilla, oak burnt malts, thick sweet chocolate, black fruits, leather, earth, and anise.

Very reminiscent of Dark Lord sweet and big but not copying. Oozing fudge, black cherry chocolate bourbon. Vanilla, oak, charred marshmallow, malt, leather, anise, and more. A monster and delicious.

Barrel-Aged Sodom from Revolution Brewing Company