Rosa Hibiscus Ale | Revolution Brewing

Illinois, United States
revbrew.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Formerly Rosie and Hibiscus Wheat

Tart summer ale infused with 12lbs of Hibiscus flowers and a touch of orange peel. Her sexy pink hue, leaves her to be desired.

Added by Tone on 07-25-2010

4.76/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Well I'm not much one for Fruity beers, this ale is totally refreshing without overpowering the ale with hibiscus.
Like a porter or Stout in the fall and winter, this is a refreshing summer change-of-pace.

4.64/5  rDev +32.2%

4.55/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This new system sucks. Yep, it looks like beer, "feels" like beer. Perfect 5s there hah

4.48/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have not liked this beer in previous years. However, this year it has a lot more hibiscus flavor. I really like how they balance this flower with the green bittering flowers. Very nice seasonal beer.

4.48/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

very fun and different. pink beer thats slightly tart and sweet

4.46/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Interesting color, and light taste something nice to pair with Mexican food.

4.29/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I am trying to get a running start for New Beer Sunday (Week 575) since I have a goodly number of beers set aside for the occasion. As always, there is a theme, but I do not want to reveal it quite yet. This review will be CANducted Sub Rosa. Suffice it to say that my travels, although currently limited, yield results and especially in CANs!

From the CAN: "*Fresh Beer [-] Keep Cold*".

I have to say, the approved pic saddens me. This should have been taken as a close-up to better CANvey the beautiful mauve color of both the flower and the upraised left fist. C'est la guerre!

The Crack! revealed a brimful craft CAN, but I want to be gentle with the lovely Rosa. The Glug went according to plan & I retained her beauty & clarity as a result. A swirl in the glass raised a brief finger of foamy, pinkish-white head, but Rosa was shy and it quickly went back into hiding. Her color was a Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with both NE-quality clarity and a slight pinkish hue. What a beauty! Nose smelled of perfume and springtime - blossoming flowers, honey/honeysuckle, freshly baked bread cooling on the windowsill. I swoon in response, my darling! Mouthfeel was light, gentle, a mere caress of my poor beaten & bruised tongue, left raw after so many AIPAs & DIPAs. Rosa, sweetheart, you have won me over. The taste was also of springtime, but now the strawberries had begun to ripen to accompany the perfuminess of the flowers, plus the breadiness of the malt became even more evident. Mmmm. Some reviewers characterized Rosa as a tart, but I really did not experience that. She was more of a delicate flower who, as I finished with her, kissed me on the lips and departed, leaving a slight sweetness in her wake. I CAN still taste her as I lick my lips in fond remembrance. If you see her, treat her with the respect that she deserves.

4.29/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Given the name the smell doesn't meet expectations but look, taste, and feel are all spot on. Great balance of floral notes and hops.

Rosa Hibiscus Ale from Revolution Brewing