Love Belgian Beer?

Red Stripe Jamaican LagerRed Stripe Jamaican Lager

Desnoes & Geddes Limited
Jamaica | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

In 2012, Diageo moved production of the U.S. supply of Red Stripe from Jamaica to the U.S.; The supply is produced by City Brewing Co. in La Crosse, Wisconsin and the Latrobe Brewing Company in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, which was the main brewery for Rolling Rock for over 60 years. Desnoes & Geddes will still make Red Stripe for Jamaica, Brazil, Canada and Europe.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Reviews: 960 | Ratings: 3,127

I honestly only tried this beer because i saw it on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and I expected it to taste pretty bad actually. I was mind-blown by how smooth and flavorful this is and it became my favorite beer. It pours a medium gold color, with a smell of sweet grain and a bit of spice. The taste is great with a good level of carbonation and a mix of slightly sweet grain and hops with a smooth clean finish.

4.88/5  rDev +62.7%

Look I gave a 5 excelellent clarity and beautiful light amber color very close to being a light goldned color.smell wasn't as corny as say bush, I whiffed very light corn aroma. but there;s something in the beer giving it a very slight taste I can't put my fingeron
it lomao maybe it is for maldihyde!!! Joking!, which is one of the reason I like this beer!I give the feeL 5 because I like carbanation! and overall a 5 because It is a primo beer for it's class of cerveza! I have already bought it agin and it sets very well om your head the next day!

I love this beer.

Had it for the first time on my honeymoon last year to Jamaica and this stuff is EVERYWHERE there. 6 AM we arrive and our driver stops on the way to the resort to buy us a Red Stripe...not kidding.

This is a macro, but a really good one. It smells skunky, but for some reason I really enjoy the smell of it. This is infinitely better than Bud or Miller.

Taste is very light and it is highly drinkable. Tastes a bit of rice and corn.

Hooray Beer!

No problem, mon.

A - Pours a light amber with a finger of head. Head disappears quickly

S - Flowery hops. that's about all that I can smell.

T - Not very hoppy, almost no bite at all. I like it a lot. A LOT.

M - a tad bit heavier than water.

D - I drank this one before I knew it. I wish i hadnt just bought one. sad day.

4.73/5  rDev +57.7%

I absolutely LOVE this beer - it is damn near one of my favorites. It is very smooth, full of flavor and once you've had enough of them, makes you wwant to speak with a Jamaican accent.

I think it's uniquie for the fact that it's not available everywhere and I enjoy it everytime I have it.

4.68/5  rDev +56%

Bought at ODB Liquors. Love this beer. This is my new go to when I just want something with dinner or in the afternoon. It's nice and light but doesn't taste like water. It has a nice crisp flavor that compliments any meal.

Take me to Jamaica....

4.64/5  rDev +54.7%

Pours a pale golden color with a short lived bubbly head. Good clarity with almost no lacing. Pale malt nose with hints of esters and champagne. The malt is fruity and sweet, but not residual, and the hop flavor is mild, but balances the taste well. The light body and crisp carbonation leave a clean finish. Excellent choice for a summer session brew. Macros with a pleasent flavor are hard to find, this one manages to also be light and drinkable.

4.52/5  rDev +50.7%

overall a good beer. In a brown bottle which is good, bad that it is only 11.2 oz instead of traditional 12 oz bottle. The taste of hops is indescribable but makes you want more. Drinkability is only average after 3 drinkablity weakens so dramatically.

4.42/5  rDev +47.3%

I've never met anyone that didn't like this beer...until I read the reviews here.

It's a little thin, and a bit pale. However I think the taste and the fact that it goes down easy more than make up for that. Red Stripe has an almost fruity taste, and sweetness to it, which I think make it very very drinkable. I love the stuff, and highly recommend it for anyone looking for something a little different that won't break the bank.

4.35/5  rDev +45%

Red Stripe is a golden straw appearance

4.7 % ABV
Taste: Wheat, grainy, malty
Smell: Wheat
Aroma: Wheat

It is a smooth beer, clear, and light beer.

From Jamaica! But can be bought in stores in the U.S

Very good beer if you like a lighter beer.

Served in a bottle

4.27/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: The appearance of Red Stripe was of a normal lager. Hard to tell the color due to the brown and unique bottle that it came in.

Smell: I was able to smell the hops within this brew. I thought it was a pleasant smell.

Taste- I really like the taste of this beer. It was smooth and I was able to taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel- The texture of the beer is very smooth.

Overall- I thought this was a good beer overall and I would drink it again.

4.21/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can't believe my 1,400 beer rating is going to be a Red Stripe. So it looks nice in the glass with a decent soft head and retention. Smell is much more pleasant that typical AALs. Sweet and bready. Taste follows the smell and is quite a delightful light lager. Only negative is that it's a little dry in the finish affecting the thirst quenching qualities a tad. Overall, its one of the better AALs out there. Will add this to my other 3-4 go-to AALs when in the mood. Thanks for being respectable #1,400.

4.18/5  rDev +39.3%

I really like this lager. It has a really light yellow color and lightly carbonated. The smell took me by suprise it smells of corn with a nice hint of hops. Its taste is good leaving a hint of hops in the mouth. The mouthfeel is nice kinda holds on the top of mouth. Drinkability is nice it goes down smooth and finishes clean!

4.15/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I try to keep my reviews simple. This beer has a nice smell nice everything, nothing specific i want to point out in this review except the complexity of the beer. All of my taste buds were involved. I tasted sweetness then hop bitterness. I love a beer that gives me a lot of flavors to work with. No flavor was really strong and left me wanting just a tiny bit more is the only bad thing i can say about it.

4.15/5  rDev +38.3%

Appearance - Golden yellow with a quarter inch of white head. The head fades away extremely fast leaving no trace that it was there at all.

Smell - The scent is strong with malt. The thought of wide-open fields of grain comes to my imagination with each whiff.

Taste - Mild malt in the beginning moving to a firm and more robust malt flavor in the middle. The finish is soft and light with a hint of hops. This is a complex flavor and is exactly what I think a lager should taste like.

Mouthfeel - The feel is smooth and soft. The texture is actually relaxing.

~ I've always thought quite a bit of this line lager. Now with my newly discovered love for evaluating the characteristics of beer I'm able to express my liking of this brew for all to see.

4.14/5  rDev +38%

A: Clear yellow, similar to apple juice. Pours with a small, white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Predominantly earthy hops. Slightly sweet, caramel odour.

T: Very unoffensive (not a lot of flavour). A clean hop flavour, sweetness is nicely balanced by the hop bitterness. Diacetyl is apparant.

M: Light body is fairly highly carbonated. Clean, palate-cleansing, refreshing.

D: Awesome, serious session beer. I once stayed at a resort in Jamaica that had this on tap, self-serve, 24/7!

Great summer thirst quencher, good pizza beer.

4.14/5  rDev +38%

Opened and enjoyed from the bottle. I usually would not drink a beer straight from the bottle, but I have had experience with this beer before and it is best right out of the bottle. Pour it in a glass and you have to race to finish it bofore it opens up too much.

A: In the bottle, like a hand grenade, it's fun. Brown bottle cold on a hot day. Nice.

S: A little sweet, crisp with almost a malt hint, only noticeable as a almost earthy sweetness.(try it on a hot day after some heavy manual labor)

T: Just like the smell but the taste is just more intense. The malt comes through with some sweetness and then the hops bite back just enough to let you enjoy this very well balanced(term used too much) beer.

M: The malt leaves a sweetness and fullness in the mouth wile the hops fade back. Makes it easy to drink, and hard to believe f how deep you are in to your 12 pack.

Overall: Great beer for the heat, with friends for a night of session drinking.

DO NOT BUY THIS BEER IN CANS. It's brewed in Canada, which is not too bad by it's self, but it doesn't taste the same. In fact I think it tastes bad. Bottles come from Jamaica (good beer), cans come from Canada[(no pun intended)bad beer].

4.14/5  rDev +38%

A: Nice light, pours lively, bubbly at first with a good head that stays for a few minutes, surprisingly long for a lager. It's very pale and strawlike in color; and common on the bottle is sweet!!! Stubby!

S: Nice floral wood, corn & Hop smell

T: Get a hoppy dark musky undertone (good not bad) while sweet, There's a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste, but it's very light and short lived. It's more complex in taste than your average Budweiser or Macros.

M: The palate is very light, and a little bubbly.

D: An excellent thirst quencher, and refresher in hot weather.

4.1/5  rDev +36.7%

Appearance: is good especially when poured correctly, but I recomend straigh from the bottle on this one jus as easily.

Smell: The smell is sweet with floral hops, quite inviting.

Taste: much like the smell, sweet floral/fruity, decent taste, a bit of unroasted malt in there.

Mouthfeel: clean and refershinging, good to quench a thirst, with just enough carbonation and hops to help in finish quite well.

Drinkabiliy: By far one of the most drinkable ones I've come across in a while, cold easily pollish off any number of these.

I would say that it is probably the best I've had among what are classified a American macros.

-edit- Since my original review in 2007 I've tried this beer several more times, and recently it seems that the quality has reduced slightly, its not as appealing to me as it had been when i first tried it; Nov 9, 2010

4.07/5  rDev +35.7%

This beer is tops. The crisp, yet smooth taste leaves mouths wanting more, yet the potency lets you enjoy "beer". C'mon guys, this beer is one of the best. Down to the bottle, its smooth, yet tasteful. Enjoyable, yet manly. This beer has weekend written all over it, and if you don't agree, well then, have a miller high life!!

4.06/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager brewed by Desnoes & Geddes Limited with an ABV of 4.7% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. Red stripe is a filtered brew. You can see right though this beer. The smell is nice with some grains. Nothing bad so far. The taste is smooth and clean. you pick up on some grain and hops. Red stripe is a nice well balanced beer, there is nothing over powering in this brew. The mouthfeel is smooth,clean, and also refreshing. There is nothing overpowering in this beer. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out of 5

4.04/5  rDev +34.7%

A good island beer that tastes of cereal and grain. It is a little creamy. Well balanced. I can't say I dislike it or love it. It is good on a very hot beach in the Caribbean.

4.02/5  rDev +34%

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager
Head : Nice and bubley not to thick.
Body : A pale amber yellow crisp and clear.
Taste :Mild hops light flavor not to thick.
Aftertaste: Almost not their. Goes down like water.
Not bad nothing special I like the bottle !

Poured from a 12 OZ stubby into a pintglass. Aroma- sweet malt aroma Appearance- A light clear yellow with a thick white head Taste- A nice lager flavor that has a semi-sweet note with a little yeast flavor Palate- A light bodied beer with a smooth finish with some medium carbonation Overall- A good hot summer day beer, can be consumed in mass and is thoroughly enjoyable

Was first put off by the squat brown bottle with the "non" flashy label. First taste of this lager and I was hooked. I believe this is the first "true" summer beer. Light gold, with a slight taste of hops it tastes like summer with each gulp.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited