Red Stripe Jamaican Lager | Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Desnoes & Geddes Limited
Jamaica
redstripebeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

In 2012, Diageo moved production of the U.S. supply of Red Stripe from Jamaica to the U.S.; The supply is produced by City Brewing Co. in La Crosse, Wisconsin and the Latrobe Brewing Company in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, which was the main brewery for Rolling Rock for over 60 years. Desnoes & Geddes will still make Red Stripe for Jamaica, Brazil, Canada and Europe.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Ratings: 3,201 |  Reviews: 976

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: I can't say much for it as I had it straight out of the bottle, but there's no head and very little lacing.

Smell: Sure smells like an adjunct...

Taste/feel: Tastes like corn water, to be honest. Has a faux malt presence, and I'm not too fond of it. Sort of skunky as well. Almost makes me nauseated, to be honest. But at the same time, I can see this being a decent choice with some food. The feel is what you'd expect from an adjunct -- thin, watery, and carbonated.

Not a good adjunct, but what IS a good one? While it's drinkable, I'd much sooner choose something like a Labatt over this. Definitely a one and done... I doubt I'll drink this one again.

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

1.75/5  rDev -41.7%

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

3.36/5  rDev +12%

I've had this a few times throughout my life. Tried it first in college, then again a year later, then at Disney. There's nothing that special about this beer but if I'm ever forced to choose between this and a Budweiser or a Coors, there is no doubt in my mind I'm going to choose this. It has a carbonation that I am not fond of, but the overall taste of the beer does stand out from other common beers.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

1.5/5  rDev -50%

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited