Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager | Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Desnoes & Geddes Limited
Jamaica
redstripebeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

In 2012, Diageo moved production of the U.S. supply of Red Stripe from Jamaica to the U.S.; The supply is produced by City Brewing Co. in La Crosse, Wisconsin and the Latrobe Brewing Company in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, which was the main brewery for Rolling Rock for over 60 years. Desnoes & Geddes will still make Red Stripe for Jamaica, Brazil, Canada and Europe.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Ratings: 3,238 |  Reviews: 982
3.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This bottle was contract brewed by Red Stripe in Latrobe, PA.

Nice golden body with a rich, chunky white head. Typical light, adjunct smell: bright; slight corn/rice undertone topped with a very light malt scent. Lightly fruited taste blending with a soft, faint corn flavor; light biscuit; mild hop bitterness. Soft, fizzy body ending with a crisp, dry finish.

Better than some adjunct lagers, but hardly a standout for the best of the brewing arts. Drinkable yet unexciting overall.

3.65/5  rDev +22.9%

Deep gold fizzy body topped with a highly carbonated towering paper white head that laces a bit.

Fresh corn, generic malt character, sweet grains, a very approachable beer.

All the expected AAL notes with the addition of some toffee or caramel sweetness. Finishes relatively dry, good stuff actually for what it is.

3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

3.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Serving Type: Bottle to Pint Glass

Appearance (3.5): VERY clear, with a light yellow tint... is this water with a little beer? The bubbles are pretty.

Smell (3.0): The main smell that I'm getting is the skunk like smell you get when the beer has been exposed to light, kind of like a Heineken. Where this smell might be desired by some brands, I'm not sure if this is a smell desired by Red Stripe or not.

Taste (3.0): The malt like flavor is definitely diminished, and the hops are indistinguishable. With such a light flavor, this beer is very 'drinkable' but is it worth it at 4.7% ABV?

Mouthfeel (3.0): Appropriately smooth.

Overall (3.5): It taste good, however, lately I've been leaning away from lighter lagers. For me, with a drink that is as light and drinkable as this, it really comes down to the price to alcohol percentage to flavor ratio. I just don't get much bang for buck from Red Stripe- nothing against it but I'd much rather go with Hudy Delight.

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: I can't say much for it as I had it straight out of the bottle, but there's no head and very little lacing.

Smell: Sure smells like an adjunct...

Taste/feel: Tastes like corn water, to be honest. Has a faux malt presence, and I'm not too fond of it. Sort of skunky as well. Almost makes me nauseated, to be honest. But at the same time, I can see this being a decent choice with some food. The feel is what you'd expect from an adjunct -- thin, watery, and carbonated.

Not a good adjunct, but what IS a good one? While it's drinkable, I'd much sooner choose something like a Labatt over this. Definitely a one and done... I doubt I'll drink this one again.

1.75/5  rDev -41.1%

3.36/5  rDev +13.1%

I've had this a few times throughout my life. Tried it first in college, then again a year later, then at Disney. There's nothing that special about this beer but if I'm ever forced to choose between this and a Budweiser or a Coors, there is no doubt in my mind I'm going to choose this. It has a carbonation that I am not fond of, but the overall taste of the beer does stand out from other common beers.

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%