Red Stripe Jamaican Lager | Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Read the review
Red Stripe Jamaican LagerRed Stripe Jamaican Lager

Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Style: American Adjunct Lager

In 2012, Diageo moved production of the U.S. supply of Red Stripe from Jamaica to the U.S.; The supply is produced by City Brewing Co. in La Crosse, Wisconsin and the Latrobe Brewing Company in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, which was the main brewery for Rolling Rock for over 60 years. Desnoes & Geddes will still make Red Stripe for Jamaica, Brazil, Canada and Europe.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Reviews: 964 | Ratings: 3,149
3.17/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: Spritzy brilliant gold under a 1” white foam collar that grips the side of the glass.
S: Light grain and traces of apple but not a lot of aroma
T: Light grains, some light apple, some bitterness on the finish but the hops have a little bit of an acrid, almost dirty quality – not skunk but not altogether pleasant.
F: Light, slightly above average carbonation with a little carbonic acid bite on the finish.
O: A pretty beer with bad hops.

2.81/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Quick review. Looks boring, smells & tastes corny (literally). The mouthfeel is pleasantly sneakily malty, but that might be the only redeeming quality this beer offers (for me anyway).

2.81/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Lighter than straw, very thin and very clear in appearance. Head is delicate and wispy, going down in a hurry but forming a decent film. Smells of grain, adjunct, maybe esters. Taste and aftertaste are both strong of honey, indicating heavy use of corn in the bill. Touch of lemon. Slightly bitter, almost rindy up front, more bready on the finish. Medium to high level of carbonation. Not as thin as you might expect but still light-bodied. Crisp and refreshing, not the cleanest finish though.

2.05/5  rDev -31.7%

More of a beer marketed for fun and the beach. Taste is just a step above like a Coors. Pretty run of the mill. They taste a bit fresher closer to the Carribean. I have seen this beer on sale for less than a Bud/Coors. I would go for it if you have never had it, comes in a short bottle makes it seem like you drink them faster.

2.78/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

My first beer ever (might have given it more than it deserved). I had it in Jamaica when I was 18. Looking back Red Stripe began my search for the world's best beers.

4.88/5  rDev +62.7%

Look I gave a 5 excelellent clarity and beautiful light amber color very close to being a light goldned color.smell wasn't as corny as say bush, I whiffed very light corn aroma. but there;s something in the beer giving it a very slight taste I can't put my fingeron
it lomao maybe it is for maldihyde!!! Joking!, which is one of the reason I like this beer!I give the feeL 5 because I like carbanation! and overall a 5 because It is a primo beer for it's class of cerveza! I have already bought it agin and it sets very well om your head the next day!

3.68/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving Type: 330 mL Bottle

A- Pours a fizzy golden liquid topped by a thin white head. Typical adjunct appearance.

S- Faint aroma but what I can gather is corn and bready malt.

T- Here's where Red Stripe differs slightly from other adjuncts. Present is the corn and malt of typical adjuncts but with a slight peppery tinge. It's not spicy at all, it more or less just adds to the refreshing characterisitcs.

M- Light without being watery and the right amount of fizzy carbonation. Refreshing like a good Caribbean brew should be.

O- I was skeptical about purchasing Red Stripe because the price was a bit higher than most adjuncts and I know had badly adjuncts can go. Thankfully, I was treated with an excellent brew (for the style) that will make an excellent addition to my summer rotation!

3.67/5  rDev +22.3%

Good solid beer this. Looks clean, with a nice white head but I find it has no real aroma though. I always find this has a kind of slight peppery taste to it which is not unpleasant and gives it a unique flavour compared to other supermarket bought beers .
A very nice refreshing beer.

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Red Stripe is pretty meh.. It's nothing amazing and there are a thousand beers just like it. The bottle is a cool novelty but the logo isn't printed on anymore. Now it's a sticker.

3.16/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When it's hot this beer is great if it is ice cold. It's the true beer drinkers coors light. Coors light folks think damn red stripe is heavy. For the extra bitter India pale fruit basket malted crunch toffee lager drinker...this is a light beer.

2.34/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Ok, full disclosure. I purchased this in anticipation of my trip to Jamaica next week. I couldn't remember the last time I had a Red Stripe, but it's been years. It's what you would expect. A little skunky and flavorless, but refreshing. It will be just fine for consumption poolside in Jamaica, but that will probably be the last time I drink one until my next trip to that island nation. Ya mon.

2.63/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear, pale, yellow color with less than one-finger white head that dissipated quickly until only a ring of small bubbles remained, almost no lacing, slightly less than medium carbonation.

SMELL: corn, grass, syrup and a little skunky, very faint on the nose.

TASTE: initially sweet, some corn and grass and then a mild skunky hop profile, a little watery.

PALATE: light body with less than average carbonation for the style.

OVERALL: this would satisfy me on a hot day after mowing the lawn, it's not offensive but I would never seek this out, there are better, less expensive options available.

2.36/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Bright pale straw color. Poor 1 finger head lasting around a minute. Weak legs with some high activity.

Faint aromas and flavors of corn, herbal spices, fruity orange/banana feel, and slightly skunky. Well balanced between sweet and sour.

Light body with medium carbonation. Short and faint smoky finish ending on the bitter side with a little dryness.

Overall : One step better than the average macro beer but still a little stale and watery.

3.04/5  rDev +1.3%

Had a couple of these with dinner tonight. Poured out of the short little brown bottles and into a standard pint glass. Color is very pale, yellowy and pretty much perfectly transparent. A decent number of little bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass. Pouring a little quickly produces a big foamy head that shrinks away into a little coating on top after a little while; seems to shrink quicker on a slower pour. Actually leaves a good bit of a lacy trail behind on the sides of the glass as you drink it.

Got a good whiff of "standard beer smell" upon opening and pouring the first bottle, not as much with the second. Once in the glass the smell is pretty faint. What is there isn't anything special; it's a smell that might be a little funky if it was stronger, but as is it's barely noticeable.

Taste, like color and smell, is pretty light. What is there isn't bad at all--a light grain/bread sort of flavor is what I'm picking up the most, and bready lagers are fine by me--it could just use a bit more "oomph." Interestingly, this beer seemed to go VERY nicely with food; I drank about half of my first one (and some of my second one) while eating some pasta with a garlic butter sauce and a little bit of paprika, and the beer seemed to become more flavorful when accompanied by food than it was on its own--as soon as I'd had a bite of food, I started picking up a bit of an almost fruity sort of flavor when I had another drink. A bite of food makes your beer taste better and a drink of beer makes your food taste better... always a good thing.

Feel is... well, it's pretty fizzy and light. Very easy to drink quite a bit of it quickly. Maybe a little *too* fizzy at times, it's not quite soda-like but it's not that far off either.

Overall, I'm surprisingly impressed by this one. It's light, but what is there is far from bad; certainly a few steps up from a glass of plain, flavorless, alcohol-free water. This is definitely a "mealtime beer" rather than a "have one beer at the end of the day" beer. If you feel like having two or three lighter beers with some good food rather than one strong, flavorful beer as a meal unto itself, Red Stripe fills that role nicely... and I can definitely imagine this being a good beer to have around when the weather's a bit warmer and you're chowing down on some sweet and spicy Caribbean-style food. I may have to revisit this one when it warms up a bit, and I'll definitely have to remember to make sure to have a few "at the source" if I ever end up visiting Jamaica at some point.

3.31/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Medium shade of straw color in the body which rests under a thick white fluffy head. Great clarity and ample visible carbonation. The head fades after a few minutes leaving very little lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Classic lager aroma, a bit tangy smelling with small notes of spice and lemon. Overall it is an average smelling adjunct lager.

Taste: A tad bit grassy with a hint of Cheerio cereal flavor in the aftertaste. A light bite of bitterness. Just a hint of alcohol flavor after drinking it for a while.

Mouthfeel: Good crisp mouthfeel with just enough bitterness at the end.

Overall: It feels like a run-of-the-mill adjunct lager without any exceptional flavors.

3.8/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Its definitely a taste I had to get used to. It's different, I get this because its Carribean and still has Carribean hit. Its just not my go to with options

3.69/5  rDev +23%

During a beer drinking tour at a local bar I discovered this little gem. Better taste and smoother than other similar beers. It defiantly surprised me.

2.28/5  rDev -24%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

I have a soft spot for Red Stripe, and I think it is actually cleaner and smoother than the other beers within the style. Taste is less bitter/ metallic/ corny

3.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Light golden in colour.

Smell: Just your typical American adjunct lager smell.

Taste: Grainy sweetness, grassy hops, yeast, some of that corn adjunct in there.
Very crisp and clean. Light body with medium carbonation.

Overall: A refreshing, and enjoyable lager. Perfect for a hot summers day or just washing down some grub. The corn adjunct doesn't overpower this beer at all. Good example of the style.

Would give this a zero if I could. I am not exaggerating when I say that this tastes like Corona Extra and smells like a wet dog. I don't know how this aroma was produced from a beer, but it is awfully unpleasant.

3.55/5  rDev +18.3%

I really enjoyed this lager. Light and crisp, as a lager should be, but it has a nice bite and some substantial flavor. Looks like an average lager, smells like Canadian lager, tastes great. Probably the best macro brew I've had in ages. It would be great to down on a hot day, or to drink in multiples on a summer night. It's not a complex craft brew, but it's not supposed to be. It's good old fashioned lager, to be swilled and enjoyed. Try it!

3.46/5  rDev +15.3%

Had this at a bar/lounge while playing a couple dollars in the machines. I took limited notes, sorry if this is not as descriptive as my other reviews.

No appearance

Aroma (3.25) : Grain, malt, corn, some stale adjuncts.

Taste (3.5) : Slightly stale malt mixture, corn, syrup, some grain, and a bit of a tasty kick. It's a bit like a stronger version of Miller Lite.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : If left in the mouth it becomes numbing from the carbonation and syrup-like feel. Has a dry finish.

Overall (3.46) : I'd buy it again. It fit the bill for the half hour I was in there. It's tasty, even if some of the ingredients taste stale and low-grade. It all comes together, and as I said, it's a bit like a stronger version of Miller Lite - all the way to the dry finish.

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

An evil, faceless corporation hires workers to fill these short, squat bottles with Budweiser and then exploits the "ya mon! ya mon! ya mon!" culture of Jamaica to sell an ordinary beer at a higher price.
It's ok, but I'll eliminate the middle man and just buy a six of Bud, which I rate at a 3. A 0.25 deduction for not taking my taste buds "to da Caribbean, mon!"

3.81/5  rDev +27%

Appearance - 3.75/5
Comes in a abnormally shaped 11.2 oz bottle. Pours a yellow-orange color. Extremely clear. Very possibly the clearest beer I have ever seen. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. After sitting for a few seconds, there is no head. Carbonation is bubbling to the top at a slightly quicker than average pace.

Smell - 3.25/5
Standard Lager smell. I don't really know enough about beer to be able to be more specific than that.

Taste - 4/5
The lager taste is less strong than most other lagers I have had, which for my tastes is a plus. A little sweet, maybe some citrusy flavors. The aftertaste is a little different tasting. Perhaps a fruity-alochol taste. Overall this is actually a fairly nice tasting lager. Nothing fancy going on, keeping the taste simple and refreshing.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Crisp. Light to medium in body. The carbonation is on the lighter side, but not too little. If there was any less carbonation I would say there is too little, but as it is right now, it's a fine level which adds to the beer's smoothness.

Overall - 4/5
I was quite surprised by this beer. I had no clue what to expect. Have never heard of the company or a "Jamaican Style Lager". But this turned out to be a decent brew. Probably not one I would buy a 6-pack of, but that's only because there are so many other good brews out there.

3.3/5  rDev +10%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Out of the bottle but I do know they are clear, not much head, golden maybe a tad bit darker side of gold. Smoothish, decent carbonation. A little Sweet but a little zesty and grassy. I enjoy red stripe but they seem to catch up with me pretty quick.

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited