Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Red Stripe Jamaican LagerRed Stripe Jamaican Lager

Desnoes & Geddes Limited
Jamaica | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

In 2012, Diageo moved production of the U.S. supply of Red Stripe from Jamaica to the U.S.; The supply is produced by City Brewing Co. in La Crosse, Wisconsin and the Latrobe Brewing Company in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, which was the main brewery for Rolling Rock for over 60 years. Desnoes & Geddes will still make Red Stripe for Jamaica, Brazil, Canada and Europe.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2000

Reviews: 960 | Ratings: 3,126
3.03/5  rDev +1%

Wow, I really don't want to be so harsh on this beer...my favorite musician is known to enjoy this beer, so every so often, I order one up, especially if I have heard if he is putting out a new album, etc. Anyway, I had a bottle of this the other night at 'Bones. I think this beer is drinkable, it's not totally awful. I have to think of it in relationship to other Pale Lagers and think about how it compares to them...Anyway, Pour was clear yellow. I managed to get a 1/2 inch of white froth on top. I detected a grainy, grassy aroma. The mouthfeel was thin to medium, and I thought the overall taste was slightly appley. Yes, I will get this again sometime.

2.43/5  rDev -19%

Sweet and grainy with something not quite resembling malt or adjunct. "Beery" in the way American macros are and it looks much the same -- an embarassing beer to export. Drinkable and fuller than its American counterparts, but still much the same.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.83/5  rDev +27.7%

Pours a nice clear light gold lager.

Smell is quite sweet with a tart tang to it. Mild perfume smell and clean grain.

Taste is sweet with a nice grain flavor. Nice tart tang to this like citrus. Mild grassy flavors and bitterness. A nice clear lager taste.

Mouthfeel is good.

A better than average lager, I would never have a problem drinking this again.

2.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Crystal clear gold in color, thin white head. Faint grassy/grainy aroma, maybe some hops on the nose as well. Somewhat crisp and razor-sharp up front, a sort of different hop bitterness, just a slight wisk of lemon tanginess. Very carbonated, thin, not too much in the flavor department. Clean, though, serves a purpose as a decent refresher. All-in-all, a half-way decent lager.

2.73/5  rDev -9%

This is another nostalgic brew that I'm always happy to drink because of the connotations it stirs up. First, who wouldn't want to be sipping this stuff in its native land of Jamaica? Second, this was the beer of choice during my wedding reception so I've got plenty of fond memories.

Red Stripe has a typical golden lager color with a nice brilliant white head. There isn't much in the way of smell. Taste is refreshing and recognizable as beer even though some will say it's watery. Red Stripe, along with Corona, are welcome summer beverages if for no other reason than their ability to make my imagination travel south.

2.37/5  rDev -21%

I've never been to Jamaica, but I felt compelled to try this beer. It was a light clear gold color (with lots of bubbles) capped with a big creamy white head. The aroma was a little metallic and grainy, but not skunky. The taste was not too exciting - grainy and a little earthy with a decent hop bite and good carbonation. The finish was dry and grainy with a bit of sweetness. This was a crisp beer with little body. It's best point was its appearance. No doubt a decent hot weather party beer.

2.65/5  rDev -11.7%

This highly carbonated golden beer poured little head but remained highly carbonated as I down the pint. No distinguishable smells outside your typical malts and hops. The aftertaste bitterness of the hops was very unusual and not overly pleasant. It is a fairly thin brew and is not a beer I will go out of my way to find.

2.65/5  rDev -11.7%

Spit thin head on a piss yellow body.
Light random grain aroma.
Plain barley flavor with pleasant though minamal spiciness.
Surpisingly good mouthfeel, yet really nothing to write home about. It may be overcarbonated or whatever but I think it worked. At leaste it worked with my grilled cheese sandwhich.
I downed half of this bottle in no time, then I total forgot about it and did not finish it for a half hour.

2.85/5  rDev -5%

Not a bad lage, in fact, better than I expected. Unfortunately it has one small factor that is disconcerting: in the finish of each taste there is a bit of a rancid sense that is not pleasant.

The beer is a yellow body with a decent, but quickly diminishing head. Good malty nose with light hop notes. The flavor is a decent fruity malt taste with a pleasant start, but that aforementioned unpleasant finish. The body is light but firm with decent feel. Less drinkable because of the flavor finish.

3.49/5  rDev +16.3%

Red Stripe impressed me. I was expecting something along the lines of Budweiser or Carib, but this pale lager had a character all its own. Personally, I feel it has been somewhat under-rated on this website, but I suppose that's what makes these reviews so interesting.

Anyway, Red Stripe is served with a crystaline medium-yellow body crowned with a very long-lasting white head. Its smell is sweet and pleasant, and reminded me of peaches. I dare say Red Stripe is the best smelling lager I have ever come across, although I admit my range of experience is not the widest on Beer Advocate. This lager starts a little oily and slightly bitter. It has a light body, and when it sinks into your tongue, you can taste sweet grapes and a gentle hint of wheat over more hop bitterness. Red Stripe then finishes clean, sharp, and dry. It seems to be something like an alcoholic slant on spring water as it rolls effortlessly from one's mouth.

3.18/5  rDev +6%

One of my favorite, readily available commercial imports.
This one just tastes great with spicy and/or jerked foods.

Pours a light gold with little to no head.
Smells of hops and light grains
Tastes like it smells, cool, refreshing, and just plain good.
When it warms, however, the beer starts to get acrid fast, this is not one of those beers that is okay as it warms up, if you don't drink it cold, it's not good at all.

Great warm weather beer, one of my favorites.

1.61/5  rDev -46.3%

A lightly hazy gold color with a thick white head. There is a sweetish grainy aroma, basically a typical cheap lager type aroma. It is sweet up front and it begins with a crisp ending in the finish, but then gets a bit rancid; a bit of buttery diacetyl here. This one is slightly offensive for a macro-swill, though not overly so. A very lackluster beer, and the rancid finish does not help.

3.65/5  rDev +21.7%

of course it is overpriced but it is a good beer. this is what highly marketed euro lagers should taste like. well, i shouldn't say that. im just saying that it is better than alot of the euro lagers in my opinion.

smooth, creamy, a bit of funk in the aftertaste. besides all of this i must say that yes it is a pretty boring beer. boring color, head, and even packaging.

though if it's around and cheap/free, i'll drink it with a smile

2.76/5  rDev -8%

The appearance is yellow straw with a fizzy head that quickly vanishes. The smell is sweet and sour at once, but both qualities are indistinct enough to blend into something unappealing.

Taste is actually pretty good--something like a sweet coconut, followed by a bitter finish. As it warms, the coconut turns into a honey sweet, reminiscent of a less intense honey lager. Mouthfeel is unimpressive and average, somewhat watery. The carbonation seems less than usual, but manages to tickle the tongue.

Here comes the ultimate negative--after one of these, you begin to build up a high level of gas that you just can't seem to get rid of. It sits in the middle of your chest and refuses to go away. I asked some friends if they were experiencing the same--and they were. The bloat factor is high, but the beer tastes pretty decent.

Better than I expected, but not good enough to warrant another purchase.

2.12/5  rDev -29.3%

Appearance: yellow, clear, fizzy head which quickly dissipates
Smell: If an egg farted, this would be the smell of this beer, I just couldn't get past the smell
Taste: malty, with hop bitterness and inbetween each sip, a big sniff of egg fart
Mouthfeel: average pilsner, light, at this point, who cares?
Drinkability: OK on a hot beach sure, but what about the other 8 zillion beers out there, Bud is MUCH better

1.18/5  rDev -60.7%

Yucky nose and flavor.When poured, this beer had a medium sized white head with fine-small bubbles that quickly dissipated.The body was clear and uncarbonated with a yellow hue.The nose was malty, hoppy and skunky.The flavor was just yucky tasting.There was no lacing with this beer.

3/5  rDev 0%

Pale golden in color, decent white head. Smells of corn and gun metal. Taste is clean with corn malts up front, some hop leaf in the middle and gun metal flavors on the finish. More complex and dark tasting that most pale lagers. Not half bad, cool bottle.

1.8/5  rDev -40%

Light and gold - head gone in seconds flat. Nothing, not even a collar or little islets of lace. Average bead.

Nose is corn and rice. What grows in Jamacai?...no, not that. I wonder if they import their adjuncts.

maybe it taste's better with beach sand in it, or with a wicked case of cotton mouth. To me it taste's like boiled corn.

Funny thing is i had a few bottles while camping a few nights before reviewing in the glass and they didn't taste *that* bad.
It is probably because it goes straight from bottle to mouth, getting the chance to only offend one of my senses.

See you on the island.

2.18/5  rDev -27.3%

I hate to do it foks, but I have to kill this beer.
The appearance was average by every standard known to man. Amber color, short lived head, fun bottle. That's as far as it goes.
I had to try this on three different occasions. Every time I had the same reaction to it. This was the second to worst beer I have ever had. Right after Golden Aniversary. I open the bottle to an alreadt skunky smell and taste. I couldn't get any flavor except sour water. And it was also as flat as the salt lake.
I have now tried this crap three seprate times. It was the same every time. Here is a bit of advise to Jamaica. Please don't take offense. not is meant when I say to stick to your Ganja and rum.

2.58/5  rDev -14%

Hot weather beer. Light gold color, medium head. A middle of the road lager. Slightly over carbonated? Mild malts and hops. Milder flavor. Mouthfeel is full and round, slightly spritzy. Mouthfeel is full and round.Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Light and refreshing.

2.51/5  rDev -16.3%

This one came in a weird little bottle that looks like it was made for cough medicine. How odd. Standard yellow lager color, with a decent head on it. Smell was kinda funky. "Like skunk, but not really skunk," is the best description I can think of.

Taste is a light malty sweetness and...nothing? There's no finish. Really kinda bland and watery. More sugar than anything else, but I'd expect that from the Carribean.

Drinkable, but aside from the fact you don't see that many Jamaican beers on store shelves, not particularly interesting.

2.53/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a golden color with a moderate head that quickly dies away. Had this served in a bottle with a lime at the local pub. The aroma was mostly a sweet malt, but nothing that stands out a lot. A hint of skunkyness in the aroma. The flavor was a little spicy with the semi-sweet malts taking the front of the taste and a more straw-type flavor finishing up. I think that the lime in mine actually helped the flavor a bit. Don't let this one warm much at all because it becomes undesireable. It is this effect that I do not care much for.

2.26/5  rDev -24.7%

I just read on the review below that this beer "must be had well chilled". Well, I had mine in the fridge for a little but it wasn't well chilled and maybe that is why I didn't care for it. It looks nice and frothy with lots of little bubbles racing to the top. But the beer has an off flavor. Really sweet for a lager which I didn't like. Very grainy too. I felt like the adjunct taste was real strong. This one's not worth the price.

2.58/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The first time I actually had ever heard of this was when reading one of Ian Fleming's James Bond novels. I figured that I would have to try this since 007 only appreciates the finest in food, drink, and women. Now that was a few years ago and I've had a few Red Stripes since then and have come to the conclusion that if you're chasing master criminals through the Caribbean that you'll pretty much drink whatever is available whether it is a masterfully crafted ale or a cheap adjuncty lager like this one.

Red Stripe pours a light straw color with a moderate foamy head that disappears in under 20 seconds. The smell was definitely that of a cheap beer: some of that husky/musty adjunct aroma and definitely some corn in the aroma. The mouthfeel is thin and fizzy with some crispness to it. With the first sip, I thought "whoa this is sweet." There is a corny sweetness abound throughout this beer. Some other cheap grain flavors are noticeable (has some huskiness to it). Very light burnt caramel notes were detected and a very light hop bitterness in the finish were some of the lesser qualities of this beer. Aftertaste is a little dry and bitter, and some green apple taste was present in limited quantities. Husky flavors continue here, and it finishes out with no alcoholic warmth.

This is an easy drinking and refreshng beer once you get past the cheap ingredients used in it. This one should certainly be served cold on a hot day. The import price would prevent me from making this a regular "lawnmower" beer, so I would say save it for an outdoor BBQ.

1.85/5  rDev -38.3%

Poured up straw yellow with a (surprisingly) big head. The head settled down considerably, but did better than a film, no sign of lace.

Smells slightly sweetish, of corn and malt. Just a hint of hops and some other chemical or medicinal smell. Some skunkiness. Not real appetizing.

The first mouthful surprised me with its sweet taste. Corn syrup and malt. The sweetness persists until the beer has warmed up some. Not to my taste where I wasn't expecting such a sugary flavour. Mouthfeel was sticky sweet. The corn syrup flavour dominated the beer making it rather boring to drink. Like sucking back some kind of Coke.

Nope. Not for me, thanks. Did I mention it tastes like corn?

Red Stripe Jamaican Lager from Desnoes & Geddes Limited