Dragon Stout | Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Added by Bierman9 on 01-30-2001

3.66/5  rDev +4.6%

Presentation: 284ml brown bottle. BBE Dec 2011

Appearance: Virtually black, almost opaque. Reddish highlights if swirled. 1 finger coffee-brown head with some large bubbles, dissipates quickly.

Smell: Roasted malt, coffee, Slight (but not unpleasant) mustiness..

Taste: Sweetish, chocolate, hint of bitterenss in finish. Thought I caught a hint of something herby and fragrant - thyme?

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, smooth. Just the right amount of carbonation, a light tingle on the tongue.

Drinkability: Pleasant if undemanding, alcoholic strength not obvious. Would definitely drink this again.

3.65/5  rDev +4.3%

I smiled when I saw this beer at the corner deli the other day while waiting in line. You can always count on finding a good stout at deli's in Carribean neighborhoods. Dragon Stout has met my mouth a few times over the past decade when I could not find Guinness and would never pull for a macro-lager and am glad to review after having many stouts since then.

A: Pours a slicky black motor oil viscosity with brown coffee tones stirring around to creat a khaki finger head.

T: Quite sweet, roasted malts and crystal, dark fruits with a heavy booze accents all over the place. Toffee in the aftertaste.

M: Cloying and syrupy.

D: For me it's slips down my throat with ease, but for those moving from regular dry stouts or Guinness, get ready for the taste to be full of sweetness.

3.65/5  rDev +4.3%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a sweet chocolate and roasted malt scent that is rich and creamy with some alcohol notes. The taste is decent. It has a thin, yet quite malty flavor that goes down easy and finishes warm and smooth. It is intensely sweet with loads of crystal malts along with a slight roasted feel. It has a pronounced alcohol taste that hits you up front then fades as it goes down. The mouthfeel is decent also. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an interesting beer. I like sweet beers, but this takes it a little too far. It's an easy drinker even at 7.5% abv. . I didn't hate this beer, but I wouldn't buy it again.

3.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Re-reviewing from notes since my original review was lost when the site crashed. Beer was a gift from a local building's security guard Warren.

Labeled as an export stout, it seems to be a milk/sweet stout. Nose is huge in what I suspect to be lactose. It also has minor traces of coffee and hops. Taste is dominate by sweetness, followed with bits of coffee and chocolate character. Black/dark brown in color, tanned head doesn't offer much retension. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes a bit more noticeable and dark fruit flavors start to come out.

3.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Pitch black beer with a rich thick slowly fading head.Aroma is cocoa.Taste is chocolate,molasses,cocoa ans alcohol on the back end.This is a very sweet pleasant tasting stout.I would recommend and buy again,although I doubt you could drink more than three of these at one sitting!!

3.64/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev +4%

I am sticking with my current trend of bottled Stouts as part of the Bottle Backlog Eradication for the time being.

From the bottle: "Jamaican Original Since 1920".

I Pop!ped the cap & stood back, afraid that a dragon might come out, having been unleashed. When nothing of the sort occurred, I began a heavy-handed pour in the hopes that I might rouse the hidden dragon, but again, no such luck! However, I did get a finger of dense, puffy, deep-brown head with great retention for my troubles. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) & there was ZERO light penetration. Nose was smoky and roasty, but with a subtle sweetness that was unexpected. Mouthfeel was full, creamy & silky, caressing my poor, bruised tongue. Perhaps I should take an IPA break more often ... The taste was not at all bitter and instead had a candy-like sweetness. I was somehow put in mind of cherry-flavored hard candies as a child. There were some that were simply drops with a green plastic stem and others in my maternal grandmother's candy jar that had an abrasive sugar coating which was very rough in the mouth. Finish was sweet and not at all what I had expected. If I am to review to style, then I have to dun it for not having "a very pronounced roasted character." Sorry. I liked it, but it was out of spec for the style.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer pours a clear very dark (nearly opaque) red brown color with a moderate creamy light brown head. The smell is of alcohol, slight sherry-like and sweet roasted malt. The taste is again sweet roasted malt with alcohol warmth with a firm mouthfeel. This seemed more like a milk stout than a strong stout but was enjoyable nevertheless.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a two finger cocoa head upon a near black body, little retention or lacing.

Smell is burnt malt, molasses, earthy hops.

Taste follows the nose, very sweet almost cloying, mineral note (iron), not bad at all.

Medium bodied with not a lot of carbonation, very drinkable and not much in the way of bitterness.

Not a bad brew and better than I anticipated. Very low hop profile and sweet yet it works somehow.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

A clear, very dark (nearly opaque), reddish-brown Strong Stout with a moderate, creamy, light brown head. The smell is sweet, malty, and caramel-like, with a slight roastedness, and alcohol tones. The taste is smooth, sweet, and sightly roasted, with a mild rooty bitter finish. The body is firm in my mouth. Overall, a very sweet Stout with a mild bitter finish. In my opinion, more of a dessert-like beer.

(source: Gift; Toronto, Ont. Canada)

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 300 ml bottle to a pint glass.

I grabbed this off the shelf at the LCBO and thought I'd give it a try. This beer pours a deep dark brown/black with a minimal thumb of head which dissipates quickly leaving little behind. There is a metallic smell to the beer that is dominant, but I can also pick up sweet malts and some roast. The taste is pretty good; I found roast malts, treacle, coffee and some anise. The feel is good medium to high carbonation with a medium to full body.

From what I know stouts are very common in the Caribbean, and this is a good example of a native stout. Jamaica produces sugar, coffee, spices and molasses. All of these are present in this beer, it reminds me of time at the resorts in Jamaica.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Small bottle (284 mL) poured into a ommegang chalice. This has a thick dark appearance with a small amount of lacing on the head. Smell is very sweet with hints of raisins and brown sugar. Taste is also sweet, filled with sugar-covered raisins and plums. No roasted malt flavor and very sugary. Fairly thin-bodied for a stout. Excellent drinkability, however, as this goes down very easily.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Produced a finger of head that retained like crazy, but sadly did not lace. The body is as black as night, as a good stout should be.

Smell: Lots of chocolate and almost a sweet coconut smell to it. I'm also catching some coffee and malt notes in the background. It's good, but I'm left expecting more.

Taste: Starts out sweet, creamy and milky as the malt then makes an appearance as it comes forward with a raw sugar and mild chocolate taste that then finally ends with a bitter kick that is far milder then most stouts but comes out with a bit of a mineral note.

Mouthfeel: Chocolate aftertaste which I like as well as a surreal creaminess. The transitioning is a little awkward and the carbonation falls flat near the end, but all in all sold stuff here. Tastes a little thin though.

Drinkability: Very mild for a stout as it is fairly light bodied, which is odd for a stout but it seems to have a surreal smoothness to it.

Final Thoughts: When I first looked at this beer, I thought that a stout from Jamaica would be awful. However, Desnoes & Geddes seem to me to be the best of Caribbean beer. I wouldn't say it's epicly good, but it's certainly worth seeking out.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

A - not much to report here, dark, very dark with a thin dark tan head, too dark to note carbonation

S - stouty aroma, with an alcohol aroma overtone, with a raisiny dark sweentess, no coffee or chocolate typical in a stout

T - sweet dark fruits are strong and palatable, dates, raisins, and molasses with an alcohol finish

M&D - surprisingly smooth and palatable, very sweet and well bodied, a total surprise, and a good one, if i find more of this ill probably pick this up

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

Little 284ml bottle with a small fiery dragon on the front. The back label has all the mandatory US information and it says that it's brewed by Red Stripe. There is however a bottle code above the label, but it's only a code that the brewery can understand.

This little bottle was poured into a small Great Lakes Christmas Ale Snifter. This Dragon was a soild midnight black. I checked, no ray of light could penatrate this beer's soild black bodied color. Sitting on top of this beer was a creamy 1 inch head of mocha colored foam. it had really good retention by leaving behind a mocha film, foamy rings, and a fair amount of mocha spots of lace around the glass. The aroma was very fruity with dark fruits like raisins and figs. But it was also slightly roasted at the same time. Roasted dark fruits was an interesting aroma to smell. The taste was also very fruity with the dark fruits, but this time there wasn't a roasted undertone. It was more fruity than anything else. The taste was sweet and fruity with raisins, figs, a tiny touch of sweet roasted malts, a smidge of sweet caramel, and then finished up with sweet yeast. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with a sweet and fruity aftertaste of raisins, sweet roasted malts, caramel, and more yeast. This had to be the most fruity and sweet Stout I've ever had before. Not bad at all. I wouldn't have mind a bigger bottle of Dragon Stout.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

Black with a tan head. Yep, that's about right.

Alcohol is very prominent in the smell, with a very vinous character as well. Strange for a stout, I thought. I wish there were more chocolatey hints (I can say that about the flavor as well).

Saying that, the flavor is a bit simplistic. Smooth, but with a bit of an alcohol spice. Grape-y and medicinal flavors. No real roastedness and not bitter enough for my liking, which is a shame. That being said, I like it, but it's not a very good stout, but a decent enough beer.

3.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.61/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Feels a bit thin, less robust and not as full-flavored as other stouts. The most prominent taste I get is toasted (not burned) caramel; I can't help but wonder if that's intentional given the Caribbean origin (think molasses, rum, etc). Light on carbonation as well.

Is it my favorite stout? No. Is it drinkable? Very! Glad that it's a regular option where I live, but not my first choice. I bet this would pair very nicely with Caribbean food.

3.61/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled
Pitch black body with tiny flecks of tan bubbles rather head
Quite appealing aroma black jack chews
Blackcurrant chew flavour, slightly sweet but not sickly.
Not big but not bad

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Aroma is fairly strong, smoky, oily and coffee-ish. Pours a dark chocolaty sable with a fairly thick but not too persistent beige head. Flavor is malty, smoky, and surprisingly sweet - but not cloying. There are hints of molasses and apple cider. Texture is quite smooth with just a little bit of a bite, and minimal fizziness. Not too shabby.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked up a bottle of this stuff in Jamaica, and it couldn't have come a moment too soon. After six days in a resort where their idea of selection was wanbeer (redstripe) and wanlitebeer (redstripe lite) I couldn't take it anymore. This beer only cost me a quarter, it was plesently cool but not too cold. Sweet to the taste with a good thick consistancy and probably a decent head, but it was in a dark bottle. Well worth a shot if your stranded on an island.

3.59/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

A 284ml bottle with a BB of Dec 2012. Picked up cheap from my local off-licence. I've had this before but it's been quite a while.

Poured into a Duvel chalice. An exceptionally deep brown - appears black unless held to a klieg light. Produces a good head of creamy, light-brown foam that lasts for a minute or so before subsiding. Aroma of sweet dark malt with notes of caramel, dried fruit, brown sugar, yeast esters and a considerable whiff of alcohol.

Tastes of sweet, syrupy malt with a sugary, alcoholic finish. Notes of brown sugar, caramel, dried fruit and yeast. A strong alcohol note on the finish; hot and solvent-like. No bitterness to speak of. Mouthfeel is velvet smooth and creamy, with light tingling and mild astringency. Aftertaste of lingering sweet malt and booze.

Decent but very sweet. It has no roasted malt character or hop bitterness. Easy drinking, and has a pleasing texture. I probably wouldn't want more than one in a sitting, as it's a little cloying, but quite drinkable and makes a change from your typical strong stout.

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

Basically black in color, opaque, when held to a light a sliver of ruby can be clearly seen around the edges of the glass. A brown head of one finger topped off the beer, the head retention was decent as it took a few moments before it noticeably faded to a tight cap. This cap lasted for almost the entire consumption; still there was no subsequent lacing. The nose is interesting and not necessarily in a good way. There are some light roasty notes, it is a stout after all. I can also detect some lacto-sweetness and some odd mustiness. Airy with a stray note of alcohol that has a licorice twang. The potency is low and the nose doesn’t say much. Apathetic. The palate is unique enough to be charming. In honesty the flavor profile is really muddled and nothing is able to shine on its own. But I like the mess. There is a moderate amount of roast, just enough to be stout-like. But what really throws this beer off-kilter is the sweetness that gets mixed with the licorice flavors and fruity, milky, chocolate qualities. The alcohol is also noticeable on the palate; this adds depth but more confusion on the tongue. This beer is flavorful and good enough to drink but I don’t think it is very well constructed. From start to finish the beer tastes the same; this gets boring, still it is tasty (in a screwy kind of way). Honestly the high abv is very much needed in this stout without it I would image that the sweetness would be a bit too much. The body is medium at best and the carbonation is moderate. Overall the mouthfeel is barely above average but pleasant. I found this beer to be drinkable and quite likeable actually. I don’t think I would want a bomber of this but the dainty 284 ml bottle was the perfect size. My Uncle Allen was kind enough to fork over $1.00 in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and lug this beer back for me. IMO, if you see it, buy it.

Dragon Stout from Desnoes & Geddes Limited