Dragon Stout | Desnoes & Geddes Limited

redstripebeer.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Added by Bierman9 on 01-30-2001

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.07/5  rDev -11.3%

3.85/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev +5.2%

I am sticking with my current trend of bottled Stouts as part of the Bottle Backlog Eradication for the time being.

From the bottle: "Jamaican Original Since 1920".

I Pop!ped the cap & stood back, afraid that a dragon might come out, having been unleashed. When nothing of the sort occurred, I began a heavy-handed pour in the hopes that I might rouse the hidden dragon, but again, no such luck! However, I did get a finger of dense, puffy, deep-brown head with great retention for my troubles. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) & there was ZERO light penetration. Nose was smoky and roasty, but with a subtle sweetness that was unexpected. Mouthfeel was full, creamy & silky, caressing my poor, bruised tongue. Perhaps I should take an IPA break more often ... The taste was not at all bitter and instead had a candy-like sweetness. I was somehow put in mind of cherry-flavored hard candies as a child. There were some that were simply drops with a green plastic stem and others in my maternal grandmother's candy jar that had an abrasive sugar coating which was very rough in the mouth. Finish was sweet and not at all what I had expected. If I am to review to style, then I have to dun it for not having "a very pronounced roasted character." Sorry. I liked it, but it was out of spec for the style.

4.13/5  rDev +19.4%

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.89/5  rDev +12.4%

Nushell from a bodega in Brooklyn:

Pumperknickel bready malt sweetness drifts into dark fruit then comes back around.

B+ (3.89) / VERY GOOD

4.31/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is an excellent stout. Lightly carbonated, nice malty slightly sweet coffee taste . Happy that it's available at my local Bronx delis, which seem to be hellbent on having the worst beer selection on the planet.

4.57/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

Excellent "regular" beer.

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

3.28/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark brown, almost black (30+) pour; quick beige/lite tan head; good clarity under cap; thin rings of lace. Lactose and lite roast malt nose; flavors of sweet milk and lite caramel malt. Medium lite mouthfeel and moderate minus carbonation. Very lite roast finish and short sugary linger; seemed lite for a 7.5% ABV. Otherwise a very easy drinking, sweet milk stout.

3.28/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours black in color with a half inch tan head that left no lacing. Smells of chocolate, roasted malts and dark fruit. Tastes just as it smells with. Additional notes of coffee and a slight molasses sweetness. Lightly carbonated and light bodied, a little watery for my taste, drinkable but nothing more.

3.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled
Pitch black body with tiny flecks of tan bubbles rather head
Quite appealing aroma black jack chews
Blackcurrant chew flavour, slightly sweet but not sickly.
Not big but not bad

3.7/5  rDev +6.9%

Sweet stout. Unique flavor. Like the alcohol forward taste but a bit thin mouth feel. I'd buy again.

2.15/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2

330 ml bottle purchased from the LCBO, poured into a stemmed IPA glass. Best before date of 11/8/17. Consumed 8/23/16.

A: Black. None more black. Impressive head at first pour that diminished quickly.

S: Bitter dark chocolate, dark fruits, metal. The booziness is overwhelming. Brings to mind mostly red wine or whiskey. I suspect there are adjuncts. Honestly I expected more.

T: Woah. The booziness is overwhelming. (again) Taste of dark fruit. Very little hop presence, which for me is usually a good thing in a stout, but there are no real malt flavours that I can pick up to carry it. Aftertaste of dark fruit again, as well as a smokey almost whiskey character. Certain that adjuncts are used. Cola flavour lingers on the palate.

M: Thin. So very thin. I don't know if that's because it's not all barley, but I suspect that's the corn.

O: I'm not really sure what to make of this... I wasn't getting any crazy sweetness like I was promised, at least not like other sweet stouts like Young's Double Chocolate. Still, I feel like I might be missing something. Honestly, it doesn't taste like beer to me at all. It's making me sick.

Honestly, I averaged my scores, and was pretty comfortable at a 2.6 overall rating. After finishing the glass, I feel like I'm being generous giving it a 2. But, as Professor Oak says; "There's a time and place for everything, but not now."

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours pitch black with a 1 finger foamy tan head that was full of bubbles of all sizes which crackled and popped as the head dissipated very slowly and left very good spotty foamy lacing coating the sides.

Smells of roasted malt, mineral water, dark fruit like plum and black cherry, dark chocolate and a fruity sweetness. Nose is malty yet a lot sweeter smelling than I expected, but still interesting and nice to inhale.

Tastes very sweet like it smells, but with the additions of brown sugar, maple syrup, cocoa nibs, raisins and black licorice. In the finish I got currants and coffee grinds to go along with the dark fruit like plum, dates and black cherry, and like the nose it had flavors of dark chocolate, roasted malt, mineral water and a fruity sweetness. Light ashy notes and what seem like a hoppy sweetness creep through making for a sweeter than I like stout, yet someone still enjoyable.

Feel is thin and watery with a slight bitterness, mild carbonation and an overall sweetness that took me by surprise. Overall better than the BA Score indicates, my friend Jim brought me back 2 bottles from the island and I enjoyed them both. Not the best stout out there but worth trying since it hides the ABV quite well.

3.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Feels a bit thin, less robust and not as full-flavored as other stouts. The most prominent taste I get is toasted (not burned) caramel; I can't help but wonder if that's intentional given the Caribbean origin (think molasses, rum, etc). Light on carbonation as well.

Is it my favorite stout? No. Is it drinkable? Very! Glad that it's a regular option where I live, but not my first choice. I bet this would pair very nicely with Caribbean food.

3.42/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

3.34/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours - black thin caramel head decent lacing

Smell - Dark chocolate, licorice, some caramel very sweet smell.

Taste - Chocolate, roasted malts, some toffee little nutty.

Feel - Pretty thin feel medium body well carbonated.

Overall - A decent beer little thin.

3.7/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.48/5  rDev +29.5%