Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dragon Stout | Desnoes & Geddes Limited

Jamaica
redstripebeer.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Added by Bierman9 on 01-30-2001

Tastes like straight up soy sauce.

1.25/5  rDev -64.3%

1.59/5  rDev -54.6%

less than 12oz bottle into a kitchen glass. I felt like taking a risk with this.

A- Bordering on black this hugely brown liquid produced a fading tan head that reached a 1/4 of an inch before fading into a patch.

S- Sweet slighty rotted milk, dragon's stout has some raw sugar and some chocolate. Getting some molasses as well, although very faint. A big bite of dried old fruit as well with plum. Cold cream as well.

T- Not my thing. I tried but this was not faring well for me. The ingredients did not mesh well with one another. Almost like the flavors are stale and past their prime while this is quite a fresh bottle. Old cream that sat out with a whole lot of old fruit.

M- Very creamy with a above medium mouthfeel. It's just not going down so smooth with the old fruit taste which is very prominent. A overload of cheap alcohol as well, yuck.

D- I tried and could not do it, done after three ounces. Could only take tiny sips. When i tried to take anymore my senses stopped me. Putrid. Sometimes it pays to live on the wild and adventurous side, but not in this case. Down the drain.

1.66/5  rDev -52.6%

What a cute little bottle at only 300 ml.

Pours dark like a stout should, very black, and what little light can penetrate through the glass indicates a deep ruby. Slight tan head.

The aroma is mild and mostly burnt roasted malt and sweet molasses, very alcoholic with a hint of something medicinal.

Taste is...what the? Sugary! So. very. sugary.

And syrupy!

And oddly sweetly rummy and astringent. There's some roast taste and chocolate but everything is way overpowered by the sweetness. Blarg. I'm seriously questioning my ability to drink this abomination five sips in. It's like somebody poured molasses and sugar and cough medicine and baby vomit into a tablespoon of Guinness and called it stout.

Yeah, no.

I was ending the night with this beer but I think I'll have to dump it and have something I know is good to hopefully cleanse my mouth of this sickly sweet yuckfest. Or maybe I should just brush my teeth and cry myself to sleep. Blech.

1.83/5  rDev -47.7%

Cute little bottle. Pours very dark with a good, light brown head that retains decently. Smells of cocoa, a bit of roastiness, and over-ripe dark fruits. Taste is more over-ripe dark fruits ala figs, plums, raisins, etc. Over the top sweetness. Semi dry finish. Lightly carbonated. Alcohol warmth very present. Im not sure if I could drink more than one of these as it's somewhat of a chore to finish only one of these guys from a small 284mL bottle. Way too sweet, not in the good way like a Milk Stout either. Each sip makes me deliver a new face of anguish.

1.85/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

* hated it could not finish and would never drink again*

app: deep brown with garnet hues.. not that amazing. small small tan head

smell: sweet molasses type stout smell, to much sugar/candy smell in it, not enough roasty toasty malts.

taste: thin water soy molasses sugar booze. very bad, undrinkable, this is a hamburger marinade not a drink, it is brown sugar malt mistake.

mf: thin light and not spritzy but evervecent.. not good.

drinkable?: NO, i did not find it to be anywhere near a beverage, it is a marinade at most.

1.96/5  rDev -44%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Picked this out purely from the look of the label. I've never seen this beer before. And quite frankly, I don't care if I never see it again.

A: Good amount of tan head settling over a dark brew with mahogany edges. Minor retention and no lacing.

S: Aromas are faint. A few heavy breaths in hint at roasty chocolate malt characteristics. A little berry punch in there too.

T/M: Very very fruity, sweet and syrupy. Almost overwhelming. It takes a moment before I can extract a bitter background to the sugary sweetness. Overripe berries lightly dipped in milk chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium, with that syrup quality settling the sweet flavors all over my palate. Fizzy, and with some warmth more sugar comes out ... and now this beer is like an overly sweetened soda, and I can no longer drink it.

D: Two to four good sips and I've had enough of this one. This beer needs some lovin' from humulus lupulus. ie...stouts are best when balanced.

2.15/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2

330 ml bottle purchased from the LCBO, poured into a stemmed IPA glass. Best before date of 11/8/17. Consumed 8/23/16.

A: Black. None more black. Impressive head at first pour that diminished quickly.

S: Bitter dark chocolate, dark fruits, metal. The booziness is overwhelming. Brings to mind mostly red wine or whiskey. I suspect there are adjuncts. Honestly I expected more.

T: Woah. The booziness is overwhelming. (again) Taste of dark fruit. Very little hop presence, which for me is usually a good thing in a stout, but there are no real malt flavours that I can pick up to carry it. Aftertaste of dark fruit again, as well as a smokey almost whiskey character. Certain that adjuncts are used. Cola flavour lingers on the palate.

M: Thin. So very thin. I don't know if that's because it's not all barley, but I suspect that's the corn.

O: I'm not really sure what to make of this... I wasn't getting any crazy sweetness like I was promised, at least not like other sweet stouts like Young's Double Chocolate. Still, I feel like I might be missing something. Honestly, it doesn't taste like beer to me at all. It's making me sick.

Honestly, I averaged my scores, and was pretty comfortable at a 2.6 overall rating. After finishing the glass, I feel like I'm being generous giving it a 2. But, as Professor Oak says; "There's a time and place for everything, but not now."

2.17/5  rDev -38%

From a 300ml bottle served slightly chilled at 16 degrees Celsius into a snifter. Best before date: 24.10.2018

Look: The beer pours an opaque black with 2cm of foamy, tan head that fades into a partial film in less than two minutes. Poor head, no lacing.

Smell: Moderate strength with decent balance. Adjunct grain, milk chocolate, and faint roastiness. Maybe some coffee? Definitely metallic.

Taste: Moderate strength and sweet. Cloying and unpleasant. Some roastiness with milk chocolate and honey(?). Metallic, too strong a minerality which really comes through in the finish. I hoped the flavour would trump the aroma; it didn't.

Feel: Medium body with low carbonation. Creamy, mouth-coating (in a bad way), and acrid. Restrained alcohol warmth – certainly doesn't hide it well. The unpleasantness builds on each sip.

Overall: I've been looking at the six packs of this stuff on the store shelves for a while and finally landed a single from the basket of misfit brews. Boy am I happy I waited for a single. The label, origin, and name all make it exotic, but it fails to deliver in all respects. Too sweet, somewhat artificial, and comes with off-flavours. Boring, lifeless, do I need to go on? I really don't understand how I'm so far off from the bell curve. I don't think it's a bottle gone awry, I trust my gut.

2.25/5  rDev -35.7%

2.25/5  rDev -35.7%

2.26/5  rDev -35.4%

Bought from a Harlem bodega.

A- Black with a tan head. "thick looking" when it was poured.
Looks like a stout

S. My nose is weak at the moment but there is a little bit of chocolate and coffee in the nose. Not much intensity though.

T. Way too sweet with a sickly aftertaste. Pretty nice chocolate taste but its just not well done.

Tastes like a Harpoon Chocolate Stout (good beer) except brewed with sewage water.

2.26/5  rDev -35.4%

Appearance: Pours a black body with brown edges and a foamy, khaki-colored head.

Smell: Aroma of odd, seemingly artificial chocolate and licorice with a hint of a well-used CoinStar machine.

Taste: A crude, unrefined taste of sweet chocolate, licorice, and dark corn syrup. Sugar is thrown haphazardly all over the palate. Hints of loose change. Finishes with a sour, twangy fruitiness. All in all, it's like an ice cream topping purchased at the dollar store.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I can't conceive of myself ever giving this beer another go.

2.3/5  rDev -34.3%

A - Black, completely opaque. Started with a one finger khaki head but faded fast to a flimy cap.

S - Deep chocolate aroma with some booze.

T - Same as the aroma. Very disapointing for the abv, I was expecting more. I get some cola sweetness but not enough roasted malts. Some booze is there in the finish too.

M - Light to medium bodied, a letdown again.

D - I don't want to have anything to do with this ever again. I'll have a root beer if I want flavours like this. What a let down. I expected a rich stout, I got an overly sweet, boozy drink.

2.31/5  rDev -34%

2.42/5  rDev -30.9%

Thanks to liamt07 for sending me this one.

Black color beer. Quite dark too. Brown foamy head. Damn, the smell isn't good at all... surely not inviting... more strange but not in a good way. I get some chocolate and licorice with something else that make the smell bad. Taste is so light, it is sad. Some chocolate. No bitterness. This beer needs some work. Feels like water in the mouth.

2.47/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle dated BB March 12, no year? Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours with no head? Dark, though not opaque. Expecting way more for a 7.5%stout
S: Muted aroma. Some sweetness on the nose, though distinctly of corn.
T: Is this a stout? Really? Corn and a bit of earthy bitter are the dominant flavours. No real roasted grain character either. I really let it warm up to see if new character would develop. Nada.
M: Thin. Not enjoyable.
O: Never again. Not a stout, and barely a dark ale.

2.48/5  rDev -29.1%

Pours a dark brown/black, some reddish hues, thick tan head forms, sticks around, some nice lacing. Smell is sweet, some cherries and toffee, chocolate, lots of alcohol. Taste is weird, strange artificial flavour, some cherry/fruits, light roast, alcohol, no idea where this is going. Very weak finish, watery flavour. Mouthfeel is thin, low carbonation, somewhat unpleasant.

2.49/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black, with a little over a finger of tan head. Pretty good retention and lacing.

S: Molasses and a little bit of fruit. Very sweet.

T: Starts sweet and a little milky, moves into a soda-like flavor, finishing with a little burn of alcohol and bitterness.

M: Not overly carbonated. Slightly syrupy.

D: Too sweet, and the alcohol and bitterness on the end doesn't work for me. I wouldn't buy this again.

Dragon Stout from Desnoes & Geddes Limited