Firestone 19 - Anniversary Ale
Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Firestone 19 - Anniversary AleFirestone 19 - Anniversary Ale
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Style:
Strong Ale - American
ABV:
Score:
4.43 | pDev: 6.32%
From:
Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Firestone 19 - Anniversary AleFirestone 19 - Anniversary Ale
Notes: “We blended together 235 oak barrels and four different beers creating something truly complex and exceptional.”–Brewmaster Matt Brynildson

Parabola / Aged in Bourbon Barrels / 33.33% of Final Blend
-RussianImperial Oatmeal Stout

Stickee Monkee / Aged in Bourbon and Whiskey Barrels / 33.33% of Final Blend
-Central Coast Quad Brewed with Belgian Candi and Mexican Turbinado (brown) Sugar

Bravo / Aged in Bourbon and Brandy Barrels / 16.6% of Final Blend

Reviews: 121 | Ratings: 606 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by BarrelAgedForrest:
BarrelAgedForrest from California

4.85/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I Drank this 1/1/2016. New years beer. I also have one aging as i feel it is going to age great! 24 bucks for a boxed bomber.

Finally utilized my Firestone wine style tulip glass for this beer. It poured a dark toffee brown and had a light head retention of a lighter toffee brown.
The nose was very warm, id say hot even. With a lot of sweet bourbony caramel leading off to oak and what I felt was brown sugar.
The mouth feel was a comfy warming feeling, being both very creamy as well as almost soft. Definitely very boozy(should blend greatly with some time)
Taste wise for me was bourbon and sweet caramel up front. A ton of sweets going on; chocolate, vanilla, honey, coffee, oakey maple. I absolutely loved this beer and look forward to doing a vertical next year. IF you can still find a bottle i would grab it.

Jan 24, 2016
maximum12 from Minnesota

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to The_Wozz for this bottle, which is making me moist even as I rip the box off of its body. 22 oz. sexy-as-hell glass, split reluctantly with my wife. Enthusiastically, I meant.

The pour is…who the hell cares? It’s a Firestone Walker Anniversary beer. It could look like Gollum’s toe lint & I wouldn’t care. Oh. Light carbonation, night-dark brown. Smells like I’m chewing on a hard candy flavored with bourbon, vanilla, burnt sugar, damn. This has more going on before it violate my lips than most beers I’ve swilled.

Firestone Walker 19 is something I wouldn’t drink more than twice. Per day. Because otherwise I’d, like, fall down. The alcohol kicks like a thousand pound mule - wow. Right in the caudate nucleus. Once I master my motor skills again I find a solid lick of bourbon & then an echo canyon of the smell. Pan-burnt brown sugar, chewy caramel, vanilla, cognac (is that the brandy?), oak, & Parabola, which is the only thing I can positively identify from the blend. Hearty. Drinkable? I’d like to find out how much of this I could drink, if I didn’t have to work, stand up, think, or get up to pee for a couple days.

Well, damn. 17 was tame & disappointing after the radiance of 16, & this one falls somewhere in between. But back on track! Can’t wait to put down the 18 here pretty soon. An excellent brew.

Nov 21, 2015
UCLABrewN84 from California

4.38/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours an opaque super dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, caramel, toffee, vanilla, toasted coconut, bourbon, and slight wood aromas. Taste is much the same with caramel, toffee, vanilla, coconut, bourbon, wood, toast, and char flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of bitterness and an alcohol kick on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with a fantastic blend of the four different barrel aged beers in the final product.

Serving type: bottle.

Jan 18, 2016
Flip4beers from California

4.91/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I would rate it perfect but I leave it for the next best anniversary or anything BA Firestone Walker offerings. Maybe the best out of the last two years, but knowing there is more Parabola in this one is a plus. I would pay double for this bottle, so it's worth it

Apr 09, 2016
Greywulfken from New York

4.68/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Super-nuts and a lotta fun. You've got all these top shelf barrel aged beers tossed together. Closest I've come to something like this was Flight of the Angry Beast, from Clown Shoes, which was also incredible, but this has a greater air of sophistication to it. Dark brown pour looks black in the glass. Brief tan cap slips into a slim collar. Aromas of bourbon barrels, dark roast; tobacco and leather...? Body is medium-weight and smooth, wrapping around the tongue while pushing vapors of alcohol and wood onto the palate. Complex array of interwoven flavors get muddled, but impressions of rich dark malts, caramel-like sugars, molasses, brown sweet bread, and chocolate-covered fruit all occur thoughout the drink. Little bit of stickiness on the finish, alternating flavors of chocolate and malty caramel. The high abv is elegantly masked with dense flavors and feel. A real treat.

Feb 21, 2016
Crveballin from Maryland

Favorite blend of the anniversary series as they got rid of the bitter components in this years blend. It also helps when it is 66% Parabola and Stickee which are amazing beers on their own.

Apr 24, 2016
TriggerFingers from California

Had tonight in honor of my son's first birthday (born in June 2015).

First off, I have to say...Jesus H. Christ. This is the finest barrel aged beer or blended beer I have ever tasted! Period. I had BCBS and BBB in the past couple days along with this tonight. Knowing some of the winemakers that contributed to the final blend is a pretty cool note. But, beyond that though this beer drinks like a dream with absolutely no hard edges. There is vanilla and spice. Oak and a hint of bourbon. Booze and chocolate. I found myself "contemplating it" like I have only done with maybe 3 or 4 other beers in my life. Its big, but balanced in a way I can't say I have experienced before in a barrel aged prodigy.

Three nights ago I had BCBS with a friend. It was fantastic as usual. But to me its not quite a perfect beer. Last night I had Big Bad Baptist, and this is in another league; completely! I am trying to find fault with it. Perhaps appearance? Maybe the lack of head, but its so negligible I don't feel right to really dock it. Everything else? Spot on and beyond. If you can buy it, do it. If you can trade for it....do it! Its special!

Grade: 100/ A+

Bottom Line: Phenomenal! Drink it like a wine...enjoy in the colder months, but appreciate it all year round! It's that good. Get some! This is "the-best-of-the-best" when it comes to barrel aged beers.

Jun 27, 2016
brentk56 from North Carolina

4.4/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours coffee brown, with a frothy, but modest, beige head; dots of lacing dribble down

Smell: Caramel and Bourbon dominate, with vanilla, toffee and coconut supporting; very oaky

Taste: As in the aroma, the caramel and Bourbon flavors dominate, with vanilla, toffee and coconut developing, through the middle; hints of Brandy and dark fruit appear, after the swallow, as the heat builds from the Bourbon influence and the ABV

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, with low carbonation

Overall: I always look forward to the Firestone Anniversary series and this one is no different; not my favorite in the series, though, and sadly, I messed 17 and 18

Thanks, Shaler_Tate, for the opportunity

May 28, 2016
JMS1512 from New Jersey

4.51/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On the docket: 22 oz. bottle of Firestone Walker’s XIX. Bottle date: 10/2/15

Poured into: River Horse snifter

S: The body fills into the glass as a walnut, mahogany orb, nearly black. The bottom sports orange tints, the meniscus counters with a light aubergine. The head, a dense, foamy taupe cap builds and dies. What’s left is a tight ring at the outside of the glass, full of bubbles. An archipelago of small bubbles floats in the center. Small brown particles (FW warned drinkers ahead of time) settle to the bottom. Carbonation is visibly undetectable.

A: First and foremost, the barrel-aged aspect of the aroma, front and center: vanilla and a slight oaky, earthy tobacco. After consideration and a swirl, one might also take in coffee, dark chocolate, fruit cake, coconut, and a slight spiciness. Warm, piquant booze sends a tingle up the nostrils. In the middle of it all is a very subtle pine resin. All in all, a multi-layered aroma giving evidence of each of the four beers in this celebratory concoction.

T: Wow, so much happening, I doubt there’s any way I’ll catch it all. Much of the aroma carries into the palate. The coffee, chocolate and fruit cake are easiest to pick out. New flavors, not in the nose are here too, such as a rich molasses (thank you Stickee Monkee), and fleeting touches of caramel (and thank you Bravo). Delving further into the structure, there’s also a soft anise/black licorice feature (Dr. Parabola, I presume?). Though a massive sweetness sticks around through mid-palate, it leaves after a while, providing a drying, tannic, oaky finish. The finish itself is long, and certainly feels like the smooth burn of brandy, and the vanilla of bourbon barrels.

F: Thick, oily and coating. Heavy on the palate, with just enough lift from the carbonation. Chewy (there you are, Mr. Merkin). As it warms it gets almost too heavy… almost.

O: This one deserves contemplation, as Firestone Walker has done it once again. This beer is greater than the sum of its parts. Each sip and degree of temperature change brings something new.

S: 3.75 A: 4.5 T: 4.75 F: 4 O: 4.5

Suggested food pairing: if you must… sharp cheddar cheese, hearty beef stew made with a splash of whiskey… but really, this one deserves full attention. Enjoy it on its own.

Mar 27, 2016
HopHunter19 from Missouri

Super dark brown murky head dissipates real quick. Toffee, Caramel, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak in the nose and taste. Insanely thick and complex.

Aug 26, 2016
DavoleBomb from Pennsylvania

4.87/5  rDev +9.9%

Had this at the Pliny the Younger release at Monk's Café. Unexpectedly, this become the beer of the day for me, outshining Younger by a decent margin. I just wish my notes were more complete, but it was a chaotic day. Came in a fluted wine glass.

3.75 A: Black color. Came without much of a head.

4.75 S: Sticky sweet and almost as roasty. Big plum, currants, licorice, raisin, prune. Leathery bourbon, vanilla, oak.

5.0 T: Similar to above. Sweet but not cloying. This is a lot like Parabola, but it has a lot of added fruity complexity. Like most FW's huge beers, this has a hefty booziness.

5.0 M: Heavy body. Rich and velvety but much less chewy and cloying than FW's other anniversary/parabola type beers.

5.0 D: Absolutely love it. I had three pours of it and was sad that I couldn't have more.

Mar 11, 2016
user-951 from Oregon

Easily a top two beer for me and my tasting friend. We took no notes and had this about a month ago but it was the beer that made us want to buy every single barrel aged beer from Firestone Walker. I would grab more if I came across them.

Feb 24, 2016
fx20736 from New York

4.64/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Jan 01, 2017
Duffman79 from Connecticut

4.44/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Jun 11, 2016
Bartleby91 from Illinois

4.31/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow this is crazy.
Pitch black appearance with little to no carbonation.
Massive aromas of bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate, caramel and dark fruit.
Tastes are huge with a big bourbon kick along with, vanilla, oak and caramel.
The feel is full with a lingering zest from the bourbon that is warming and intense.
Overall this is one massive beer that I am happy to have been able to have.

Sep 16, 2016

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Apr 25, 2016
Diet-z from Washington

4.34/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

May 20, 2016
minterro from Colorado

4.33/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Jul 10, 2016
22Blue from Kansas

4.2/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Feb 09, 2016

benzalman from California

4.49/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jan 07, 2016
Firestone 19 - Anniversary Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 97 out of 100 with 606 ratings