Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rye Double DBA | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Rye Double DBARye Double DBA
4.39/5
Outstanding
Rye Double DBARye Double DBA

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by raynmoon on 05-16-2016

Reviews by aoampm:
4.66/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pour is an amber color just like a barleywine. A minuscule head tries to appear but it disappears immediately. Literally not head or lacing whatsoever. A tiny amount of carbonation.

Smells is superb. Caramel, tons of bourbon / whiskey, some sweet apple, plum raisin, and a nice oaky spice.

Taste is banging. The plum raisin is forefront with more boozy caramel whiskey flavors in the back. Some vanilla, brown sugar, and breaded malt is detectable.

Feel is very unique. The sheer lack of head and carbonation makes it drink like a mix of beer and wine. Hard to describe but I love it.

Overall this was an amazing beer. I love a good BA Barleywine and this really reminds me of that. I think the bottle I had really mellowed out due to the complete lack of head and almost no carbonation. Firestone kills it yet again!

4.61/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am new to beer advocate and a bit new to beer in general so I will give this the best go I can. I picked up four of these bad boys at the Firestone Walker brewery in Paso Robles at 10am along with at least 200 other beer maniacs just like me. Please note that I pulled this from the beer fridge at about 40 degrees.

LOOK: I'm shining my iPhone light through it and I see a thick honey like amber. It's a beautiful color really, and is a far cry from the reds of Abacus and the almost deep blackness of Parabola. There is almost no head at all to this beer and it seems to sit flat, almost looking like honey in my snifter. I don't see much red in it just brown and amber. I was hoping for a little head to the pour hence the 3.5.

SMELL: I'm new to this so don't judge me if this sounds silly, but this is what I smell: Right when I pop the top I bring it up to my nose and inhale deeply. I immediately sense deep dark chocolate, a hint of caramel and even vanilla. There is definitely that big boozy heavy hit of these world class brews. I put the snifter to my nose and inhale over and over again: brandy or burbon, rye, more chocolate, something red that I can't quite place. Cinnamon. More vanilla. When you inhale deeply it almost burns my sinuses. Such a glorious smell to this god send of a brew.

TASTE: Big booze. The first sip is a surprise, strong, heavy and thick like honey diluted with Stickee Monkey. Vanilla, Chocalate, more big booze. Going down it burns the first time and is warm to the throat and belly with each sip and swallow. There are other flavors too, but my nose is not yet trained enough to pick them up, but I love it. I take another sip and let it linger on my taste buds: Big booze, syrup of a sort, maybe even a tiny hint of cinnamon. I love it.

FEEL: As noted very smooth, but it burns the first time swallowing and then rounds out to a deep inner warmth. 30 seconds after my last sip I have this warm calmness about me brought about by the feel of this brew. Light carbonation, feels like diluted, but bubbly syrup. When it lingers on the tongue the heat of the alcohol can almost have a little burn to it.

OVERALL: Good God almighty, these maniacs have once again blown me away. I want to say right now that this is steal beaten hands down by Parabola, Stickee Monkey and Sucaba, all of which are heavenly. But if you need something new that is different from the other world class beers from Firestone Walker, take as many people as you can to Venice, Beullton or the 805 and get as many as you can, but do not try to drink this monster by yourself unless you have a lot of time on your hands or you can handle this much alcohol. 15% ABV and 650 ML is enough to make me silly. Brewmaster Matt Brynildson, you are a godsend to this planet. Please keep making brews such as this. If all you can get is Parabola or Sucaba, don't feel bad, but if you have the $30.00 and are within 5 hours of FW go and get this beer NOW!!

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

A - dark brown mahogany clear color with a off white head that dissipates quick and therefore doesn't leave much lacing
S - HUGE caramel toffee vanilla, some Rye bite, bourbon, oak, figs, raisins, milk chocolate (mild), butterscotch, toasted coconut
T - big caramel, toffee, vanilla, then Rye whiskey, bourbon, oak, bites a little bit, nice alcohol flavor given the 15%abv, toasted coconut, mild butterscotch
M - big beer. Alc present but appropriate. Aftertaste is caramel, toffee, vanilla.
O - jesus. When I think about perfection this beer will now come to mind. It's insane. It's like listening to Rush, driving a capable Jeep through 3 feet of mud, or sex with a petite brunette with attributes, but in beer form...

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

This is up there with any other beer Firestone has made. Loved the sweetness on this. The rye barrels do a lot more for this beer than the bourbon barrels did. Loved it.

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.82/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

4.39/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: poured light brown / clearing brown with a lot of lilting carbonated bubbles (like soda) that disappeared fast. Now it looks still with no carbonation, looks like whiskey. Big alcohol legs on his one....again looks like whiskey
S: huge whiskey, smoke and char with sugar sweetness to cut the booze.
T: smooth whisky and barrel, fairly sweet. This is so much different than any other beer. This is like the best sipping whiskey you could ever dream of. This does not taste like beer at all. This is really good if you like Barrel and whiskey like me, but this is so far from any other beer I've had.
F: so smooth and easy drinking. Crazy this is 15%! If it was thicker I'd give it a 5. But this is scary smooth and drinkable.

4.21/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Double DBA 2014 aged for an additional 14 months in rye whiskey barrels, makin. it a whopping 15%, up from 12.

poured into a fw glencairn

looks amazing, immense dark orange hue. small ring of bubbles.
nose is big dba, malts, bourbon and rye whiskey, a bit subdued.
luckily it note only follows the nose but pops with flavor! big bourbon and vanilla, sweet malts, peppery rye finish. very flavorful!
feel is thick, big body and some alch, not as much as I was expecting honestly, most of the tingle is the rye
overall this is excellent! I wish the limit was higher on this guy. but being brewery only at a hefty $30 a bottle, I'm not sure it's worth the extra price tag over the already great regular dba, but it sure tasty!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.1/5  rDev -29.4%

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.14/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.21/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

3.95/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rye Double DBA from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.