Leo V Ursus: Inferos | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Leo V Ursus: InferosLeo V Ursus: Inferos
4.14/5
Exceptional
Leo V Ursus: InferosLeo V Ursus: Inferos

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: Rye Beer

Imperial rye IPA

Added by BirdsandHops on 09-16-2017

View: Beers
3.94/5  rDev -4.8%

4.21/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Another fine IPA as the summer wanes, another excellent offering from FW - these guys never disappoint me. I usually think of rye IPAs as cold weather versions of the style, a little heavier than I prefer in the summer, but this one breaks that rule. It does have some serious backbone and spice from the rye, but the hop profile puts it solidly into the fresh and juicy end of things. Deep dried apricot color, a touch hazy. The aroma is impressively rich and nicely advertises the rye tones that flower fully in the taste. It hits every note a rye IPA should have, particularly the spicy, peppery notes that I so enjoy and then the hops shift it into that wonderful bitter mango and citrus territory that suits summer so well. Feel is solid with rich fuzzy carbonation and a touch of viscosity that is appropriate for a DIPA (so this really a DRIPA!). Well done again, bear and lion!

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love that The CANQuest (tm) is making headway & eradicating the backlog! Each day, I bring forth new CANs to be sacrificed at the Altar of Aluminum Cylinders & the godess is CANtented with my efforts so that I may slumber in peace, rather than pieces.

From the CAN: "Leo v. Ursus Chronology: Inferos Imerial Rye India Pale Ale"; "Beer Before Glory"; Art by: "Todd Francis".

I beCAN by Crack!ing open the vent & CANmencing a slow, gentle Glug. I don't know about you, but when CANfronted by both a lion & a bear, both rampant with their maws open, I tread VERY lightly! Shhh. The liquid inside did not show the same ferocity & formed a finger's cap of dense, foamy, rocky. light-tan head with great retention, simply refusing to abate. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the beautiful peppery spiciness of rye & I was sent. This is a Rye Beer! It was heavenly, with a peppery spiciness and a cool mintiness that could not be mistaken. I am hereby reviewing it as a rye & submitting a Change Request. Mouthfeel was dense, thick, full & creamy! OMFG. I was not expecting that. The taste was so well executed that I wanted to cry.

In late-1990, we became the first ship to be homeported in NYC (Staten Island) since WWII at the long-defunct Brooklyn Naval Shipyard. I was a Storekeeper (repair parts supply as opposed to retail sales) & as such, I was one of the few allowed off of the ship. There was a bodega just outside the gate from the Supply Shed & I would routinely score CANtraband like newspapers, favorite CANdies, particular brands of pop, anything that my shipmates wanted, plus stogies for me & fresh rye loaves for the cooks. That rye bread was what nearly got me busted as I would secret everything in a pallet to be craned onboard & offloaded. The XO happened to be downwind as the crane swung & immediately ordered me aboard for an impromptu XOI! 8=( Fortunately, between the BM crane signalers, my SKs, the SHs and some looky-loos, the entire pallet was offloaded while the XO chewed a royal chunk outta my already-thin ass. Man, did I chow good that night! I was the ship's hero, but we became a tad more discreet after that one.

Okay, if a beer CAN jog that kind of memory, how CAN it go wrong? By being misidentified as an AIPA! Oops. Either someone else beat me to it or it is like Emily Litella: "Never mind!" It was so clearly a Rye Beer as to make me weep. I long eschewed hard liquor until the return of Rye Whisky. One sip was all that it took. Peppery, minty, spicy, bready: all apply to both the liquor & this beer. Pennsylvania's Whiskey Rebellion was fought over Rye Whiskey & so it speaks to me on a(n) historical level. I would bet that if they distilled this recipe, it could rival Anchor Old Potrero! This was so good & such a surprise that I CANnot wait to share the news.

All "5"s? Well, it has to be rare & it has to meet all aspects of the style. It looked liked the shade of an old flame's hair with bright clarity. It was instantly identifiable as Rye from the nose. The taste evoked a distant memory, The mouthfeel was unexpectedly pleasurable. There was nothing wrong with it, overall, except that at 8.2% ABV, it would lay me out pretty quickly in quantity. Wanna try a Rye Beer? Put this in yer maw & get back to me.

F**k! I'm hype to go toe-to-toe with the lion & the bear with me as the monkey inna middle.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Last of my Father's Day Bears.... yummy on a beautiful summer day

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Poured from a tallboy can to a pint glass. Had a deep, dark amber color and a thick, cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of foamy, off white, long-lasting head. Excellent lacing.

S: A very nice aroma of rye, hops, malt, pine, and citrus.

T: Tasted of a mild amount of pine resin, some malt (present throughout), lots of rye (not too much), a bit of hops, citrus fruit (orange), spices (pepper), and tropical fruit (pineapple). A very solid, focused flavor. The addition of citrus and tropical fruits makes for an interesting combination with the rye. Subtle and tasty.

F: A well-carbonated beer with a vibrant finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A well-made, easy to drink rye. Definitely worth checking out.

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.52/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap. Wasn't a big fan of this one. I usually really enjoy Firestone Walker's brews. The rye was really prominent. A little too hot. Didn't love the hop medley either. Unfortunately I was a little let down.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

16 ounce can into a tulip snifter. Canned 9/11/17, had 12/11/17.

Pours a fairly hazy medium amber, with a one and a half inch foamy head and lots of creamy lacing. Aromas of grapefruit, pineapple, rye, caramel, some mango, light orange, light malt, a little pine as it warms. The taste leads with the rye, then grapefruit, malt, pineapple, caramel, a little pine. A good amount of bitterness throughout, especially on the finish. Smooth, well carbonated, a good medium body, but oddly felt a touch watery and thin on some swallows.

Really good, the strong citrus hops and just as strong rye are a winning combination.

4.48/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a wonderful, hazy burnt orange with a big, foamy, off-white head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving big lace.
Awesome smell of big, dank citrus hop with lots of malt. Spice, pine and spiced wood.
Wonderful dank, juicy citrus mangoe, and melon along with pine resin. The massive malt kicks in with the finish of a big rye bite. Lots of resin hangs around well after gone. Little tobacco. Awesome taste.
Medium to full body that enjoys slapping your toung and mouth around with big bitterness that is assisted by the malt.
I need more Rye IPA's. Might be the best I have had!

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Beautiful head, good nose. Scent of pine, some floral notes as well. Some hops but not overly so, somewhat bitter after-taste. Overall, good beer.

3.99/5  rDev -3.6%

From the 16 oz can dated 10/13/17. Sampled on March 10, 2018 so nearly six months old.

The appearance is nice with a bronze-amber color and a large, lingering cream colored head. Lacing.

The aroma emits sensations of tobacco, herbs, pine, and rye grain. The hops have faded some but I still get an inkling.

The body fell into the upper medium range but the texture was smooth.

I pick up more tobacco and herbal notes in the flavor with a sweet, grainy characteristic and a mildly bitter finale.

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.77/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Leo V Ursus: Inferos from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.