Union Jack India Pale Ale | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Union Jack India Pale AleUnion Jack India Pale Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American IPA

Added by beerguy101 on 10-09-2003

Reviews: 1,336 | Ratings: 6,485
4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

I've had this in bottle and on tap. Out of bottle it was superb. I became blown away on tap. A very refreshing aroma, hints of sweetness. Nice color, copperish looking. Taste was amazing and there was no "taste fatigue" so to speak. Numerous glasses later, it still taste just as freshing as the first glass. Only reason it didnt garner a perfect 5/5 is because I find Double Jack to be slightly better.

4.89/5  rDev +15.6%

I love this beer. It's brewed a 1/2 hour from my home.
If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to pay to bathe in it. It's become from favorite IPA. My reviews aren't scientific, I just know what I like. And I like this stuff. Good job Firestone, excellent.

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

This is one of the best IPA's that i have had next to Zombie Dust, Heady Topper, and the Furious,This beer just came to new hampshire, awesome!! I would of gave it all fives, but the smell is very light on this one. Specially after you take a wiff of Heady Topper. will keep this one on stock for sure.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Dangerously smooth and delicious!! Fantastic pour, with a very nice head on it. When you first taste it, take a manly gulp, and let it sit on your pallet for a bit.

Perfect citrus taste from start to finish, this is an incredible IPA that is not to be missed!! I've had it in the bottle and on tap, and both are EPIC!! <3

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my go-to ipas. One of the best beers available at your local supermarket. Never fails to deliver a complex taste with exceptional quality. If you're girlfriend doesn't like it you know it's a winner. Don't be afraid to drop a couple extra bucks for quality in the end it's worth it. I should know I'm a cheap mother f*****.

4.88/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer pours a perfect golden copper color. It has a nice fluffy 2-finger off-white head on it. The head has good retention and leaves behind some nice lace on the glass. There are some nice bready and caramel malt smells, as well as a big piney hop presence. There are also some notes of tropical fruit and citrus. The taste starts off with a nice caramel malt background. There is a big piney bite to it, Also, I am getting some fruit flavors and some citrus. The hops are definitely the star here. The finish is of lingering hop bitterness. This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has a nice smooth feel to it. There is a nice lingering hop bitterness in the finish. This has amazing drinkability. I didn't want to set my glass down for a minute. Out of all the IPAs I have had so far, this is probably my favorite. The flavor is amazing and it has wonderful balance to it. It is everything I ever wanted in an IPA. Glorious.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Served on the Rotating Tap at Maggie Smith's Irish Pub in Centennial Colorado

A-Slightly hazy copper with nice pillowy white head and great lacing.

S-Wow, tons of fresh citrus fruit, pineapple and pine tree. Only the slightest hint of cereal grain sweetness in the background.

T-The nose carries over nicely, citrus, grass, pine and pineapple. Beautifully balanced hops and malt sweetness. One of the best IPA's I have ever had, boarders on IIPA.

M-Light yet viscous, tons of hop oils coat the mouth but has enough Co2 to wash it away

O-One of if not the best IPA in my books, so glad it made it to Colorado.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Love is not a strong enough emotion for how I feel about this beer! Hot Damn! I'm ready to make a serious commitment to you Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA you beautiful bastard! I have not been too impressed with previous FW offerings, but this is damn near perfection! Pungent hops blast the nose, I'm thinking Cascade, not sure. Smells terrific! Pours orange copper with perfect head. Taste is out of this world! A rich tapestry of oily west coast hop flavor, grapefruit and pine balanced to perfection. At 7.7 it feels like a DIPA but it so well integrated and drinkable that it deserves it's own classification, maybe IPA+ This is a truly special beer!

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Serving type: awesome bottle... even all the way in buffalo
appearance: typical pale gold, good head retention and lace
smell: awesome hoppy, earthy, citrus, complex.. this is going to be good
taste: awesome hop goodness, dare I say pliny ish... notes of citrus and alcohol..complexity
mouthful: awesome fullness, not one thing overpowers yet balanced complex taste
overall: awesomeness.. best ipa i've had

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

One of the few IPAs that comes close to O'dells...just barely misses it. In the Bottle, I sometimes am tempted to put it at the same level as O'dells, because it has such a Brilliant Citrus/pine balance but it's still just SLIGHTLY too sweet for my normal preference unless I'm in the mood for a sweeter IPA. On tap, it very frequently suffers from being even sweeter and thus too sweet for a hopheads preference who will often go with Stone or O'dell because of it. The other downside is that its priced at least 1 or 2 dollars more than the average IPA. It deserves it, but still...

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

pours a darker orange with a thick white head.

smells like fruit and hop, i love it! the aroma is heavy and just perfect.

this beer tastes like fruit hop glory. its so damn tasty i just love it!! my beer was brewed on July 28 and ended up in NJ. For a beer that is almost 2 months old it's still perfect!! i could not imagine drinking this fresh, as in within a week old or at the brewery itself! one day Firestone Walker, one day.

just too smooth, like James Dean at an old home.
this beer could take the panties off a steel trap, probably my favorite single IPA. so fantastic and well rounded, this is my 2nd 6 pack of this beer but my first time reviewing it in characters. i enjoyed Double Jack but this is so much better! I love dIPAs but this is better than DJack. such an easy and smooth beer.

picked it up 21 days old: still amazing. my perfect IPA.
great head throughout. great looking in the glass, no haze just crystal clear.
smell has a nice mix to it.
bitter yet smooth and creamy. finishes easy. great drinking.

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

This beer was recommended as a substitute for The Elder -which has recently become very difficult to find here in orange county. it's good, i like it and i'm very satisfied.

It is in a 22 oz bottle and the alcohol by volume is 7.5 per cent. I like seeing fighting animals on the label - bears and lions face off against union jack and, it would be my guess that, this beer prevails. Served in a pint glass.

It pours with a thick head that follows the beer to the bottom of the glass, leaving lace from top to bottom. its color is an amber orange, in this light. Slight carbonation disappears minutes after it's poured. Smells hoppy, like pine needles. No significant fruit scents to speak of.

It tastes great. It's well balanced and, again, the hops shine through. Big pine notes with some pine and orange on the back of the tongue. Great flavors, I could drink this every night.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been used to the hazy New England IPAs, so it was a treat to pour an IPA that I could see through. I was really impressed by how smooth this beer is, great nose and silky finish.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Originally, I didn't really drink this one much always opting for double jack. Now that I live in Texas double jack requires driving further to get and the local grocery store has union jack all the time so its what I can easily get. Its quite wonderful and often my goto IPA now.

Pours a golden color with a two finger white frothy head that is retained pretty well. Significant lacing on the glass. Grapefruit and hops great the nose. The taste is a slight grapefruit and a solid hoppy IPA.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

Tasted April 2011 (from notes)

Poured into an IPA fest glass (Najs's Place, Redondo Beach, CA)

A - Late sunset though cloudy. No head or lacing

S - Oak, pineapple, mango, lemon grass and hints of candy like sweetness. really dry smelling

T - Citrus Hops very tropical, very sweet malt, yeast, earthy and grassy

M - Very light, low acidity, long finish

D - Goes down like water but tastes a million times better

Final thought - Wish I had this everyday

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pretty darn close to a perfect beer, in my book. Excellent hops with an amazing balance. This is the IPA that could convert a great many people to try more IPA's. Firestone has made some fine beers over the years and this one is right up there with their best.

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

On Tap at Dave and Busters San Diego.

I've had it before. Prob 12-15 times. Always enjoyed.

Good stuff...all time good. Top 5 IPA.

T Tap, pint

A disguised, clear, bit light, but character

S all the hops, kinda dirty and clean, but again, character, it's right.

T Great

M has a great grit spice to it

O grows on ya good. First time looking up reviews on it, but been around the block with this one and it's an old sparring bud. Will stand test of time. An easy recommend.

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into a tulip, bottled on 8/16 (thank you for dating your bottles!)

Pours a clear amber color, with a smallish white head. Not much lacing.

Smell is sweet citrus hops. Love it.

Taste is sweet, but dry. Nicely hopped, citrusy. A touch of caramel.

Mouthfeel - good carbonation, not much alcohol present, so it's easy drinking.

Overall, an awesome IPA. I will definitely be getting more of this one.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I came across this beer while visiting my brother in Shell Beach, California. We visited the brewery and had it on tap. Then, to my total surprise I found it in my local Safeway store in Lakewood, Washington.
I love IPA's and try new ones whenever I can. This is,without a doubt, a world class IPA. Everything about it hits the mark, from the look and smell to the perfectly balanced finish. If you can find it try this beer and prepare to fall in love.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a bottle I picked up in Vegas on a recent trip into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass

A - golden orange-amber color with a tiny white head, a very light lacing sticks to the inside of the glass

S - pineapple, mango... all the citrusy hop flavors that I love are the first thing I notice. After a deeper smell I think I detect a sweet milky caramel background. This really hits all the desirable IPA flavors for me.

T - The citrusy hops dominate up front on this then give way to a lingering piney bitterness. a hint of a caramel like malty presence finds itself in the middle of my tongue.

M - Syrupy medium body with just the right amount of carbonation

D - Pretty easy drinking IPA that provides a lot of amazing flavor. If you want to stop and think about this one it has the depth but if you wanna just sit back, relax and enjoy your brew then it can fulfill that need too. I would pick this up again in a heartbeat. This is definitely one of the best single IPA's I've ever had.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

This is my new favorite go-to single IPA.

A: Pours a nice orange-yellow with excellent carbonation and head retention. Lacing is prominent on the glass.

S: Bouquet of pine and citrus ... well balanced on the nose and definitely a west-coat IPA.

T: A little bitter up front but well balanced by the malt character. Grapefruit, pine resin and assorted citrus. It's a delight.

M: This is a very aggressive single IPA but it drinks very well at 7.5%. Carbonation is strong and the balanced bitterness with the malts goes down well.

O: Dangerously drinkable. I've had a few sessions where I forgot this weighed in at 7.5%. My favorite representation of the west coast single IPA at the moment.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Review from notes on my trip to Arizona late last week. Beer reviewed 4/16.

A - The beer was poured from a brown 12oz bottle to a pint glass. Pours a brilliant bright amber color with huge 3 finger white head. Very good retention and unreal amounts lacing.

S - Wow! Caught me off guard with the intensity of the aroma for an AIPA - more like a DIPA. Absolutely huge hop aroma: grapefruit citrus with nice aromatic qualities. Slightly pungent. Good. Great even.

T/M - Just like the nose! Wow. The hop flavor explodes on the tongue with the medium bittered citrus flavors found in the nose. Heavier end of Medium bodied, if not full-bodied. Very smooth and creamy throughout. A nice citrus zest throughout allows for a fruity character to complement the malty sweetness, as does the biscuit sweetness to the bitterness. Very good. Alcohol is slightly detectable but not overpowering or dominant.

O - Easily one of the best IPAs I've had. I really wish it was distributed here in Colorado as it would find a home in the fridge. Similar to Bell's Two Hearted Ale in the sweetness and fruity character along with the hops. Very good and highly recommended.

4.81/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great IPA, definitely one of my favorites. An initial blast of hops with a bitter, but smooth grapefruit aftertaste. Try the cans if you come across them, I prefer them over the bottles.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Now this is a serious IPA. Whatever hops notes you like in your IPA, you will find here. Plenty of grapefruit, citrus and some pine. I had this from a can into a pint glass at The Shack in Houston and was head over heels in love with one of the best IPAs I had ever tasted and then...my server brought me a Yellow Rose (see review) and I had to nudge Jack down one very small notch. This beer had more tropical tastes and the Yellow Rose had more resiny pine and that slightly dankness that I hardly ever get short of a DIPA. Wonderful beer and I feel very happy that it is available in my market (actually much easier to get than the aforementioned local Yellow Rose).

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: mild carbonation, like a drizzle upwards in autumn sunshine, yields a smal but dense head that seems to thicken and retain. The texture of the head becomes as a stout's--pillowy and smooth. It is very clear with a light yellow-orange hue.

Smell: The smell is not strong, but is certainly of citrus--grapefruit and lemon. There is also some malt in the nose--biscuity.

Taste: Here the grapefruit takes over. The bitter hits the middle of my tongue and spreads to the back corners. The alcohol is hardly there in the flavor, and the aftertaste is a small sweetness trying to sooth the angry sharp bitterness back to bed.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than liquor and delightfully slick. The carbonation does some work but doesn't keep the beer from staying liquid smooth.

Overall: A really magnificent IPA, and at 7.5 ABV, it packs a punch. Look out. Is it a British Invasion? Maybe an abduction?

Union Jack India Pale Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.