Union Jack IPA | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Union Jack IPAUnion Jack IPA
4.23/5
Exceptional
Union Jack IPAUnion Jack IPA

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American IPA

Added by beerguy101 on 10-09-2003

#862
4.5

Ratings: 6,697 |  Reviews: 1,372
4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4.76/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. The taste doesn't slam you in the mouth with hops but delivers a good strong hop presence that is consistent throughout. Very good mouth feel, light lacing on the glass. Unfortunately it is not available in Florida and I only get to try it when traveling in the northeast.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

3.91/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Single bottle from Premier Gourmet in Amherst, NY enjoyed outside on the patio on a warm calm evening.

Billed as a big IPA but big time quaffable if you ask me. Smooth and complex, mixing pine, fruit together in one hop drenching. I'm not usually a big IPA or hopheads guy, but when it's right, it's right.

I'll be buying more this summer.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Warm summer night in the gazebo with a cigar and my first Firestone Walker UJ IPA. I had heard how good this should be and hoped the cigar would not mute the flavors too much.

Poured into a tulip glass from the 12 oz. bottle.

a: A rich clear gold. Inch of dense pure white foamy head refused to run over the sides, leaving a wide round ring above the top of the glass. Amazing. The head hung on for awhile, leaving a nice foam surface and heavy lacing, some of which was still present at the end. Yeah, baby!

s: Pretty strong hop notes suggested Hop Bomb City might be coming up.

t: Powerful hop bite. A wondrously sippable delight which I took a half hour to finish.

m: Hops announced their presence in no uncertain terms in this otherwise light to moderate brew. Perhaps heavier than the usual IPA, but I like that. You know you are drinking something worthwhile!

o: Wasn't such a fan of IPA until now. My new favorite IPA, although I'm still loving SN Torpedo and Lagunitas IPA. I have eleven more of the former to ingest over the summer (I foolishly gave away the four remaining Lagunitases I had to people who probably will not appreciate them like I did).. But now I'm anxious to not only drink the other UJ I have, but get at least a sixpack. And Double Jack is looking irresistible.

UPDATE 5/8/14: Had another single of this tonight, bottled 2/15/14 so almost three months on it, yet except for the relative lack of a thick head this time (yet still dense lacing), perhaps a lighter body and the fact the age of the hops might be the reason it tastes somewhat malty, nothing much to change here in text or rating. Back when I first reviewed this I was a real amateur, now I'm a much more experienced amateur. UJ still rocks. Looking forward to Easy Jack.

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Light gold in color with a solid white head with moderate retention.

A blast of fresh pine needles, resin, with a splash of pink grapefruit and green apple. This beer is hops on display without a bit of self consciousness.

Very dry on the palate, with a hop bitterness. Attacks the senses with pine, citrus and resin.

Crisp,clean and mouthwatering in a medium+ bodied style. The finish stays with you for quite sometime.

A really nice example of its style. It would be hard to mistake it for something else.

Union Jack IPA from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.23 out of 5 with 6,697 ratings