Union Jack IPA | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Union Jack IPAUnion Jack IPA
Union Jack IPAUnion Jack IPA

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Style: American IPA

Added by beerguy101 on 10-09-2003

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,749 |  Reviews: 1,388

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Re-review. Bottled date of 12/27/12

Appearance - Pours a clear, bright orange amber, white finger width head, Good retention. Fair, sticky lacing on the glass.

Smell - Spicy, hoppy pine aromas. Touches on grapefruit. Strong bready, sweet caramel malts in the background.

Taste - Follows the nose. Hits on pine hop at first, with lesser notes of grapefruit. Sweet bready and caramel malts provide a strong, complementary backbone and shine mid-taste before fading near the finish, leaving a mild citrus pith aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Moderate carbonation leads to a decent bite. Smooth. Goes down easy enough.

Overall - My tastes have certainly changed. What I once thought was an okay IPA, I know find quite enjoyable. While I'm still not sold on pine forward IPA's, I'm now able to look past that dominant aspect and take in the lesser characters of the beer. I think this is a beer I'll be drinking more of as time rolls on.

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear deep orange color. A tightly packed, pillowy, white head forms with excellent retention. Rings of spiderweb lace clings to the glass.
S: Hops, lots of them. Grapefruit rind, resiny pine. Grapefruit dominates.
T: Again, lots of hops. A get a bunch of grapefruit rind again. Resiny pine, oily and a lingering bitterness that is a bit to prevalent for me.
M/D: A medium to full body. Moderate carbonation. A bit to oily for me. I wish it was a bit more crisp. Not hard to drink. Though the alcohol is strong, along with the large bitterness. Which for me detracts a bit.

Certainly one for the hop head. This is a very good beer, just no for me. I do like it. Though surprisingly I love Double Jack. I think that has more tropical fruity and juicy flavors than Union Jack. Which is what I like more than the large and lingering bitterness here. Still enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Union Jack IPA from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.23 out of 5 with 6,749 ratings