Union Jack IPA | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Union Jack IPAUnion Jack IPA
4.23/5
Union Jack IPAUnion Jack IPA

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American IPA

Added by beerguy101 on 10-09-2003

#843
4.5

Ratings: 6,675 |  Reviews: 1,365
4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - A good looking beer to say the least. Golden orange color with a supple egg shell white head. Nice layering left on top for a little more flair to this already impressive beer. Lacing is very tiny and in small patches, but fades rather quickly.

Smell - Nose is superb, and smells similar to a lighter hopslam, which I consider to have the best nose of any IPA. This one is filled with hops and touches of orange peel, melon, and grapefruit. Sweet honey glaze seems to coat the nose as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Definitely a west coast IPA, and a freaking stud at that. Hops are beautifully crisp biting all the way till they fade into a honey kist grapefruit and melon backbone. What's great about this beer is that it's gripping, but not overpowering. It stays full of flavor but still rather light in my mouth, which is what I like in an IPA. I guess the feel could have a bit more weight and length to it, but I guess that might be being a bit harsh.

Drinkability - I could drink a million of these, and it's right up there with my most loved IPA's. This is only the second beer i've had from Firestone, and it won't be my last. Both have been phenomenal, so I plan on sampling everything else in their arsenal.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer I so good for the price. lol his beer has been out for quite some time and one of my all time favorites.

The look: NICE amber color with about a little over a finger of head.

Smelll: Smell aid so good with nice Hop aroma as well as a little pineapple, Grapefruit and Mango flavor on the nose.

Taste: very nice well balanced beer with 75 ibu and 7.0 ABV and very drinkable. Has nice citrus notes a little malt flavor and a very well balanced Hop flavor

Feel: Not to heavy just a very nice beer with perfect amount of head. Honestly a favorite for me.

Overall :This beer is absolutely delicious , just so well balanced on a nice citrus flavors and perfect amount of hops. Pick this up. This is a Great beer at 7.99 a six pack. I'd pay more for it. Absolute winner for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into an IPA glass. Bottled on 5/29. Consumed on 9/7.

A - Golden amber. Strong carbonation with little/no head. Just lacing from carbonation. Delicate lacing as beer recedes.

S - Very fragrant. Mango, kiwi, and banana.

T - Bursting with flavor. Banana, tangerine, lemon, mango, papaya, and pineapple. Grapefruit rind finish.

M - Crisp and clean with a nice tingle in the mouth from the strong carbonation. Luxurious foaming in the mouth.

O - The smell and taste of this beer are exceptional. Highly recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Quite delicious....balanced, slightly bitter but not overly strong or overpowering. I could tip a few of these.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a DFH stemmed goblet. mucho thanks to dgb3 for trading this one to me!

A= This ale poured a very clear orange color with some hints of gold around the edges. The slightly off-white head rose about 3/4" and then quickly settled to a 1/8" cap. Loads of carbonation release but that is surely aided by the nucleation site etched into the bottom of this nifty glass. A respectable amount of wispy lace clung to my glass.

S= Smelled of caramel and biscuity malts, pine and citrus hops (more citrus than pine though), and some spicy alcohol. Fairly simple really, but very nice.

T= As the smell indicated, this was a big and fairly balanced IPA, as IPAs go. The biscuit and caramel malt character seemed to blend seemlessly with the piney base hop bitterness and the citrus and floral hop flavors. This was not a collection of seperate notes but rather a symphony of flavor. The finish was dry and showed just enough alcohol to make things spicy and interesting but was in no way hot.

MF= On the heavier side of medium bodied with a full carbonation that stopped short of being too sharp. Really wonderful.

D= I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and have come to the conclusion that it hurts me Firestone Walker is not distributed locally for me. Very tasty, very drinkable, and the ABV stays deceptively hidden. Highly recommended!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

One of the better IPAs I have had in a while. Great for summertime drinking. I will be buying this again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally found this (semi) fresh up in the mountains of NW Colorado. I have been waiting to try this for a while and it didn't disappoint.

L- light golden, with a white two inch head (poured from 12oz can)
S- Citrus, pine and some biscuity malt.
T- Sweet orange zest and grapefruit, followed by pine and hop bitterness all on some light unobtrusive malt backbone.
F- Kind of sticky, medium body and carbonation
O- Wonderful, classic example of the west-coast IPA I have come to absolutely love. I prefer this style of IPA to most (although haven't had any of those east coast hazy guys yet) One of my top 10 IPA's as of now!

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Served in a Bear Republic pint glass at the proper temperature range. Probably my third Union Jack ever. Bottled 20 days before sampling... sweet! And ya can't beat $7.99 for a sixer at BevMo.

A- Pours a light golden amber with a small, short lasting off-white head. After the ring disappears, little to no lacing remains as I finish the glass. Agitation returns little to nothing.

S - Awesome. This is very remniscient of the Elder, definitely a good thing. Crisp, clean citrusy goodness.

I just inhaled an noseful of it trying to get more stuff to write about. No seriously, I did.

T - Very good. It's a straightforward, no BS west coast IPA, and an excellent example of the style. As such, the hops tip the scale over malt ever so slightly, but the balance is still there. A solid bitter finish coats the mouth.

I had my first Union Jack of the night with a couple of mild Italian sausages coated with SNPA mustard. Solid combination, and highly recommended.

M - Perhaps the only downfall is a thinner than expected body. Carbonation is just right but I could use a little more oomph in such an otherwise very well balanced beer. Save for the slight bitterness, there is a very light, crisp finish.

D - I'll be lucky if I don't drink the whole damn sixer tonight.

Matt and the boys over at FW are gonna take over the world someday. The 'Passion for the Pale' really shows with this one .

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Light orange pour with an ample white head. Lacing is all the way down the glass and there's a lot of it.
FLowery hop and malt aromas. Pine and citrus mingle in a sort of hophead's perfume which you continue to inhale all the way through the beer.
Flavor is seriously on the hop side of the force. but the malts fight back with a nice sweet flavor which competes with the hops all the way through the finish, but the hops do prevail in the end.
The mouthfeel is quite nice. Almost a double IPA kind of mouthfeel, actually a little more of that syrupy full mouthfeel in this beer than some double IPA's I've had.
Easy to drink. I wish I had more than one of these because I'd love to have another one.
This is one of the best IPA's I've ever tasted, no question. I wish I had another one so I could see if they all are this good.
Thanks to fellow Zappaphile Rzzz for this wonderful beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let's be honest my friends, this is the only Firestone Walker beer I really really like. I've tried them all. Call me crazy but this beer has extreme depth. You know it when you drink it. It's like drinking breakfast, lunch and dinner. Nothing wrong with that. As they say in the movie the Matrix, "All a Body needs". And I don't even like the Union Jack Flag. Spend a few extra, and skip the other brands for this brewery. Signed 805 local person.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle is dated 2-24-11, I love seeing dates but this one might be a touch old, way to go Utah DABC. We all love you here.

Appearance: A clear light copper beer with a thin ring of bubbles that at one time was an off white head.

Smell: I get citrus and floral notes from a foot away, My nose is no where near the glass and it smell so intensely strong. Once I stick my nose in, I get a sense of semi sweet maltiness.

Taste: If this is four months old, I would love to try it fresh. The hops are still potent and the dominant flavor in the taste, as they should be. The caramel from the malts is present but unobtrusive, it plays second fiddle to the citric, floral, and maybe slightly earthy hoppiness that is so intense. The smell hinted at what was in the taste and did not disappoint.

Mouthfeel: The body is viscous and the carbonation middling. The finish is dry and long with a bitter aftertaste that is all a hop head could hope for.

Overall: Very pleasantly surprised. I am glad that this one is available in the Utah system and at a low price point, about 1.50 a bottle. I will certainly pick up more of these. Beware, only share with the bravest of friends because the flavor is very intense.

New review:

This bottle is dated July 3, 2012 so it is about 5 weeks old.

The flavors are essentially the same! The taste is still very hoppy and bitter with a slight sweetness toward the end. Citrus and pine are the dominant notes with caramel and biscuit malts.

A very solid IPA. This could go up against some double IPAs or some one offs and hold it's own easily. As long as I can get this one fresh, I will continue to buy it!

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

BOD 11/6/15. Clear golden pour with a hint of amber. World class head volume, lacing and retention.

World class nose of massive hops - citrus, tropical and dank. Grapefruit, pineapple, orange, mango and finally a subtle earthy bit of dank with a touch of spicy spruce. Underneath the hop blanket lies a whiff of biscuit.

Medium bodied with a rich oily and creamy texture. Perfect carbonation with a nice effervescent middle and a finely bubbled prickly finish.

The flavor profile is world class. Balance is perfect. Hop flavor is the theme here with a mild bitterness that is quite complex. All aspects of the nose appear. Tropicals lead over a subtle sweetness then flow into the rind components and showcase orange. A slightly bitter middle is balanced with a slightly stronger sweetness (biscuit plus a bit of caramel). As the middle fades, a slight dank hop flavor takes the forefront. The finish is remarkably clean for such an intensely complex ale. As it fades, a slight spicy note arrives. This one is a brewers masterpiece.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Union Jack IPA from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.23 out of 5 with 6,675 ratings