Firestone 11 - Anniversary Ale | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Firestone 11 - Anniversary AleFirestone 11 - Anniversary Ale
Liked This Beer
4.39 w/ 248 ratings
Firestone 11 - Anniversary AleFirestone 11 - Anniversary Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by Zorro on 12-01-2007

Liked:
4.39/5
Alströms:

This is my first perfect 5. I only give it a 5 because it is far more drinkable than the 10th was fresh. If this ages like the 10th it will be tremendous in 2 years.

The aroma was fantastic, i kept going back for more sniffs. Mouthfeel was smooth and became phenomenal as the beer warmed. I can't wait to do a 10, 11, 12 vertical tasting as soon as 12 is released. The only negative about this beer was that a large amount was distributed to bevmo instead of smaller stores.

A - Pours dark, opaque brown. Small khaki head fades quickly, leaving a thin collar and spotty lacing.

S - Bourbon, caramel, butterscotch and toffee are the standouts, along with a strong oak presence.

T - Caramel, toffee and butterscotch hit the palate first, with the bourbon and oak flavors backing them up. Wonderfully rich & complex. Hints of coffee & brandy. No sign of the ABV.

M - Medium-full body. Incredibly smooth & creamy. Carbonation is on the lighter side.

D - Very high. I could drink this every day if I had the chance.

My second perfect 5, and it's just as deserving as the first. This is a beer to be revered.

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

Shared with Rhinos00 and ratman197.

Pours a dark mahogany with a thin tan head.

Nose has oak, vanilla, bourbon, toffee, caramel, dark fruits, bready malts, oak and spicy alcohol.

Taste is equally delicious. Huge whiskey and wood tones over figs, plums, cherries, peppery booze, vanilla, nutty malts and rich candy.

Thick, creamy body holds a soft carbonation. Long, complex finish.

Another top notch barrel aged blend from Firestone Walker.

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

A- A beautiful lush head appears out of a deep black body with ruby hues and a single plume of carbonation crept up close enough to the edge of the glass for me to take notice.

S- Mahogany, oak, black licorice, deep roasted malt, caramel and molasses.

T- So complex I had trouble fathoming how much character is really apparent in this beer. My friend got a good serving of it, but declined further allotments of the beer so the rest of the bottle was mine (I bought it, why not?). It took the entire bottle to unravel the deep secrets of 11 and what it came down to was; "this is a kickass beer."

M- Very warm, creamy, and complex. A heavy body and intoxicating alcoholic presence awaits thee.

D- Too bad this beer is so rare. I traded the other one away in the name of moving on and finding different lovers, but this will always be a favorite.

4.94/5  rDev +12.5%

Finally got around to drinking this one. Big thanks to mattolesh for sending this bad boy my way a while back. I had pretty high expectations for this one and it did not disappoint.

Nothing real remarkable for the appearance. Dark brown color. Some good lacing/legs on the side of my tulip glass.

Wonderful aroma. I could smell wood and alcohol in the nose. I was salivating just smelling this one.

Great taste. The beers in the blend meld together extremely well. Considering the ABV very little alcohol heat. Dried Fruits brown sugar and wood tannins present with every sip. For me very similar to a good Belgian quad in flavor in terms of the sweetness.

What really blew me on this beer was both the mouth feel and the drinkability. One of the smoothest beers I have ever had. Silky and satin mouth feel. Definitely a slow sipper . I drank the bottle over 1.5 hours but the beer was never overbearing. I was savoring each sip as I went. This beer warmed up wonderfully getting more and more depth as a reached the bottom of the glass. Extremely drinkable.

I have not had a ton of Firestone Walker beers but this is a true masterpiece. Great great stuff. I did not have this beer fresh but I cannot see this beer getting any better with age. Mellow and nice right now. I am a huge fan of blended beers. It is an art form that I feel is lacking in the American craft beer scene. This a great example of a near perfect American blended beer. I am looking forward to trying the 12th and the 13th anniversary versions.

Thanks again Matt! I am glad I got an opportunity to try this rare treat. This one is worth the hype.

4.94/5  rDev +12.5%

This beer came my way via trade. I cannot remember who I got it from but thanks!... The beer was chilled and served in a wide mouthed wine goblet. My wife and I consumed the beer over the coarse of the evening. This beer is fantastic!... My ability to describe and add to the descriptions of this beer is limited.

Appearance: The beers appearance is a murky dark brown coloration. A bit of ruby opaqueness is noted. The head is a thin white coloration. Small rings of foam mark the beers passage. The beer has the kind of unlovely appearance that lets you know the beer is going to be fantastic.

Smell: The aroma of the beer is phenomenal. I am not certain of my ability to describe the beer but I am going for it. The aroma of the beer is boozey in a wonderful way. The aromas of vanilla, bourbon, tabacco, cocoa, butterscotch, apples, pears, dark fruits raisins, dates, maple syrup, brown sugar. All throughout the aroma of the beer is well layered bourbon / brandy.

Taste: World class! The beer delivers a very sweet bourbon / brandy mixture. Roasted, toasted and charred flavors help to counter balance the sweetness. In short this delivers a nuanced layered flavor. This beer taste even better than it smells. If you dont like bourbon / brandy you will not like this beer.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is full low carbonation. Very very smooth no alcohol heat noted. Its boozey but very smooth. The beer passed from my glass very rapidly. Wish I had a few more of these in my cellar. Exceptional!

4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

poured room temperature out of a 22oz bomber into a dogfish head snifter...

A: as dark as a brown can get, thick dark brown amber, a bit tawny when held to the light, a swirl leaves lace but the head isn't too dense. light lace rests in surface swirls.

S: sweet butter, toffee, dates, richness and smooth vanilla (dairy cream milk shake), pecan pie, brown butter sweet, but balanced.

T: sweet but light, like butter cream frosting, not overly sweet, butter cream frosting, rich vanilla, slight herbal tones of hops, and a low earthy woody tone whispers in swishes to match the creamy sweetness up front, low carbonation.

M: medium body in the mouth, light and soft in the mouth considering the flavor sizematics of this beer, leaves with a tiny bit of dryness which speaks to the wood, minor tinge of bitter, but overwhelmingly smooth.

D: as it ends, the bubbles fade and vanilla bourbon rides a slow gallop into the night. the wood is more apparent as the beer settles. this is going to be a beautiful one to sit on.

4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Pours a very dark amber with a modest head that quickly shifts to a ringlet; a galaxy of dots litter the sides of the chalice

Smell: Rich aromatics of caramel, dark fruit (primarily fig), tobacco, chocolate/vanilla, licorice and wood; just tons of wood, like an antique chest

Taste: From the outset, the wood sets the backbone against which the flavors will be measured; at first, it is fruity, with the hops playing against the wood but as it settles in, the bourbon elements start to take their position, with a boozy blend of vanilla, fig, tobacco, licorice and chocolate moving to the fore; after the swallow, a coconut aspect arrives to mellow out the bold pre-swallow flavors, while the wood and alcohol linger in the background to the finish; licorice is strong at the very end

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with low to moderate carbonation; very smooth

Drinkability: I was not that big a fan of the Ten, which overwhelmed my taste buds; the Eleven, however, rules the roost; just an incredible blend of flavor

Thanks, urwatuh8, for the opportunity

4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

22 oz. bottle, bought for $18.39 at the Costa Mesa BevMo in Costa Mesa, CA, on Monday, Dec. 17. Having been severely hyped up akin to a Dark Lord or a Darkness, I had high hopes for this beer, one of my most anticipated beers ever, it did not disappoint,

A: Pours a very dark brown, clearly brown though, with a small, light tan head, but they said in the complementary letter that they minimized the carbonation, so I'll give them a break. Very nice lacing on what head is there, however.

S: Not the fullest smell in the world, but it just smells so damn good, that I'm giving it a 5. It reminds me a lot of Angel's Share, in fact that's the first thing I thought when I smelled it for the first time. Nice oak, wood, bourbon scents, along with heavenly vanilla, I just can't stop smelling it.

T: Actually, the vanilla hits first then molds into the bourbon character. Slight coffee character is there as well, and as the beer is going down, there is this great dark chocolate note. Warming alcohol as well, but it is not fusely and unpleasant, it is smooth and light and melds perfectly with the beer.

M: So silky smooth, viscous, and warming, but it has a lightness about it and an ethanol quality about it that makes it insanely drinkable for 11% abv.

D: So drinkable, a delight going down, drank the first half of the bottle in about 5 minutes, it was so easy to drink, but I held up for about 30 minutes to let it warm up close to room temperature which just added to the complexity of the beer. Stellar production, definitely worth the hype, I will be eagerly and anxiously be awaiting the 12, or another bottle of the 11, if I can find it. Easily one of the top 5 beers of the year for me. Great job, Firestone, this beer is absolutely outstanding.

4.89/5  rDev +11.4%

There is a whole lot going on in this beer and all of it is exactly the kind of stuff I love.
Pours dark amber as expected with a smallish off white head that melts quickly to nothing.

Aromas are a heavenly combination of oak and bourbon. Some candied brown sugar and dark raisins. Absolutely delicious and I could inhale this brew as easily as drink it with equal satisfation.

Taste is heavy bourbon...touch of oak wood...light mixture of prunes, plums, raisins, and dark cherries, and very clean fresh vanilla. Absolutely no aftertaste to the vanilla as is normally found in both beers attempting this and bourbons. Warm alcohol after swallowing...very contenting warmth with just a memory, albiet vivid, of the oaks and bourbon used in aging this brew.

I love it
I rate it highly because it is everything I look for in a beer.
I have no idea what will happen when it ages, but I will find out. I just can't imagine more pleasure than what I am getting now.
***
Months later, now April 2008.
DAMN, this is good...no great.
Absolutely great.

Firestone 11 - Anniversary Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 93.1% out of 100 with 248 ratings