§ucaba | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

§ucaba§ucaba

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: English Barleywine

Also known as Abacus

2011 Reserve Series Bottle Notes:
O.G. 27 Plato
F.G. 4.7 Plato
I.B.U. 42 units
Yeast: British Ale (House)
Cases: 1500 produced
Color: 36SRM (Dark Ruby)

2014 Bottle Notes
O.G. 27 Plato
F.G. 4.7 Plato
I.B.U. 42 units
Yeast: British Ale (House)
Cases: 3500 produced
Color: 36SRM (Dark Ruby)

Matured for 1 year in a blend of Heaven Hill, 4 Roses, and Old Fitzgerald barrels.

Added by SacoDeToro on 02-21-2008

Ratings: 5,028 |  Reviews: 884

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

4.73/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark ruby/rust red in appearance with a soft and plump two-finger head.

Aromas of raisins, plums, roasted malts, and bourbon are most prevalent, a little sharp in the nose for my taste.

Dark fruits, slight vanilla, mainly sweet malt, finished with a splash of bourbon.

Mouthfeel is the only score here that did worse off, though a delicious beer, the mouthfeel of this is too grainy (IMO).

Overall this is another delicious example of Firestone doing everything right.

4.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.31/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Very dark ruby red. Head was a a little soapy and coarse-grained for my liking.

S - Predominantly sweet and fruity. Fruitiness is of raisins and sherry. Sweetness is of maple and caramel. My favourite part of this beer.

T - I'm picking up the sherry-fruitiness from the nose, although not any one fruit in particular. Not as sweet as I would have expected and not particularly sweet overall. I was hoping for a little more vanilla, a little more coconut and a little more spice. Where this beer is not found wanting is in tobacco flavours. This beer had me racking my brain to see if I had a cigar stashed somewhere in the house. It's sort of dirty and a tad leathery but I like it. A little bitter malt and bitter bourbon on the finish as well.

M - Thick enough, but like the rest of the beer it's just not quite there.

O - At first I was quite disappointed, however this beer definitely benefits from time spent in the glass. The most relatable beer I've had to Sucaba lately was Fremont's Bourbon Abominable, which for me, was clearly the superior beer. This was malty, sweet and sherry-like with nice tobacco notes, but I wanted more bourbon, coconut, vanilla, oak and spice. Sadly it did not live up to expectation.

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

§ucaba from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.