§ucaba | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

§ucaba§ucaba

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: English Barleywine

2011 Reserve Series Bottle Notes:
O.G. 27 Plato
F.G. 4.7 Plato
I.B.U. 42 units
Yeast: British Ale (House)
Cases: 1500 produced
Color: 36SRM (Dark Ruby)

2014 Bottle Notes
O.G. 27 Plato
F.G. 4.7 Plato
I.B.U. 42 units
Yeast: British Ale (House)
Cases: 3500 produced
Color: 36SRM (Dark Ruby)

Matured for 1 year in a blend of Heaven Hill, 4 Roses, and Old Fitzgerald barrels.

Added by SacoDeToro on 02-21-2008

Reviews: 861 | Ratings: 4,866
4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

A - About 1-2 fingers of nice off white head. Color, about 36 srm's.

S - Some bourbon, toffee, bit of vanilla.

T - Initially the bourbon dominates, then I get toffee, vanilla, caramel, bready, slight burnt toast. There is a lot going on. I get something different with each sip. Fairly smooth.

M - Medium bodied, sightly too much carbonation for my tastes.

O - Great beer, this and Bourbon Angels Share are neck and neck for me.

4.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Darkness snifter. Sharred with a fellow BA.

A- One finger off white/tan head dissipates to nice bubbly ring around the glass, dark brown with red tints, splotchy lacing.
S- The aroma is not what I expected, really sweet, strong caramel, sweet molasses, vanilla, alcohol is present, slight bourbon and oak aromas coming out as well.
T- Wow the taste is phenomenal, toffee, caramel, sweet brown sugar, slight dark fruit presence (raisins, plums) really warm as it goes down, alcohol is definitely present but not overpowering, really balanced overall, nice bourbon flavor and vanilla notes, amazing beer.
M- Big mouth feel, clean finish, every sip seems pretty thick and syrupy but does not detract from the beer.
O- I am really impressed with this brew, all the good reviews I’ve heard have been true, well balanced, big complex flavors, every sip is a delicious and different, I cannot wait to age this bad boy and see the difference down the road.

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a growler purchased at Superstar Beverage in North Babylon into an awesome tripel Karmeliet goblet.

Appears a pretty dark burgundy brown with a thin foamy rim.

Smells of burnt caramel with a bit of a red wine boozey background. A bit of bourbon in there with roasted fig.

Tastes like butterscotch and bourbon.

Mouthfeel is really pleasing. It goes down slowwww. It's a sipper you betcha! :) the bourbon flavors lays on the tongue really nicely.

Overall a really nice experience. I can only imagine the way I'll feel at the end of this goblet!

A: "Dirt brown", maybe a half finger head which quickly dissipates. Not much activity. I guess I didn't expect much anyway.

S: Bourbon, anise, cherry, tobacco. The alcohol is there but well integrated.

T: Vanilla bean ice cream, bourbon, drizzled with chocolate. Sweet as hell, but cloying? Is an ice cream sundae "cloying"? No, its just awesome. No medicinal qualities, even in the impressions of cherry as the glass warms. Nice woody undertones, and a FAINT hop bitterness compliment. Not over hopped, thankfully. Alcohol presence is complimenting, not really "boozy".

M: Enough carbonation to support and enhance drinkability. Body is velvety and smooth. Drinkability is right on, this is going down too fast @ 13%.

O: Overall, this is what a Barley Wine should taste like in my opinion. World Class!

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

A - Pours brown with a slight metallic shine. Very thin foam head, and slight lacing. Poured into a snifter.

S - Scents of carmelized sugar and dried fruit. Has a bit of chocolate scent as well. The lingering smells of bourbon is evident as it settles.

T - Wow. There is a taste of cherry and vanilla initially. Almost like tasting the syrup of a sundae. It then gives to a strong malty chocolate flavor that ends up with the boozy burn of bourbon. Just well blended and incredibly tasty.

M - Heavy, and a bit moreso because of the complexity. It is a true sipper, and after this you really won't enjoy fine flavors of other beers. End your drinking with this.

O - I actually am not a big barleywine fan but have tried to appreciate the quality types (like Old Ruffian). This is about the best I've had. I am finding FW to be a personal favorite brewery.

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Dark brown root beer-like color and consistency. Not much head at all, but tan lacing throughout

S: Smells like bourbon. Get a bit of a sweetness in there as well. Tons of alcohol, and a bit of dark fruit as well. Almost smells like a quadrupel

T: Godly. Very unexpected. Doesn't taste like most barleywines, much sweeter, less hoppy, and full of bourbon, vanilla, and almost a hint of sort of a cabernet sauvignon. The alcohol hits a little bit at the end and you are left with a sort of vanilla-fig flavor

M: The perfect carbonation to compliment the flavor of it. Really thick also, kind of syrupy

Overall, I love this and it's the best barleywine I've ever had. If it was easier to find I would buy it by the case even at $15 a bottle. Can't wait to see what a bit of age does to this

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

My offering for our Lollapalooza weekend throwdown on August 7th, 2011. Bomber into wine glass.

First of all, I'm saddened that FW is forced to find a new title to bestow on this brew just because of a bitchy Cali wine company. Abacus is a great name and I'll spend the next week crying over its unfortunate demise. Anyway... "Barleywine" pours a dark mahogany with very little head (despite my aggressive tip). Very good lacing with tons of legs. Alcohol feet cling to the sides throughout the 45 minutes I spent with this brew.

The nose is, well, bourbon. And extremely smooth bourbon at that. Vanilla comes second. A heap of other undertones come third, including figs, caramel, cinnamon, slight alcohol, and oak barrel. Somehow it all feels less than what I expected.

Ahh, the taste is more what I was anticipating. Virtually identical characters as in the nose but more pronounced while maintaining excellent blending. It's all about togetherness with these barrels. In addition to bourbon, oak , and vanilla there is a little dark chocolate and bready notes. Alcohol kicks in at the backend with a fair amount warming. Slightly tannic finish. Bourbon aftertaste coats my tongue and lingers for quite a while.

Appropriate feel. Heavy body, good carbonation. Again, extremely smooth throughout. Not quite as smooth as your ideal woman's legs, but not everything about this beer can be perfect.

I'm thinking my second bottle will need about a year on it before I consider a revisit. It is very well blended but I'd like to see mellowing out of the alcohol particularly on the finish. Great stuff, so far it's my #1 in this style.

4.42/5  rDev -0.9%

Growler, poured into a tulip.

Appearance is a dark copper color with an off-white head, not very tall. Taking in the nose of this barleywine is something else, there is quite a bit going on, all of it quite pleasant. I noticed coconut, cherry, vanilla, bourbon and caramel. Taking a sip and I taste brown sugar, caramel, more vanilla, brandy and well toasted marshmallow. MF is fairly creamy with an aftertaste of alcohol, ie some brandy and bourbon. If you come across this in bottle or on-tap, this is a fantastic barleywine.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a dark hazy amber, pretty much light brown (which is dark for the style) with a small half inch eggshell cap that dissipates rather quickly leaving nice lacing. Already I can tell this is a big boy...

Aromas throw me off initially. The first thing I get is a distinct dark fruitiness (plums, figs, red grapes). As I dive back in I get nice barrel accents highlighted by vanilla and light toffee. As it warms the butterscotch smell becomes very apparent and almost dominant, with a hint of baker's cocoa in the background. Really really nice and inviting.

The tastes follow the nose and are equally intense. Sweeter malty notes show in flavor first with butterscotch and maple syrup being the most forward. Lesser notes of toffee and cocoa once again. Soon the Bourbon barrel ushers in powerful flavors of vanilla, light oak and light bourbon. Late flavors of alcohol and the dark fruits of plum and fig (that were present in the nose) appear once again, but they are not as strong here. Complex to say the least.

The mouthfeel is quite chewy with low carbonation, bordering syrupy but not quite there luckily, which is impressive because this is a 13% monster. This is about as low of a carbonation level as I can tolerate (I hate flat/still beers) but it works here.

Overall, this was an experience to say the least. Crazy complex Barley Wine that I can't compare to anything I have ever had because it was so unique. Definitely delicious and well recommended if you like barley wines and/or bourbon. Bourbon barrel definitely plays a significant role but it is so well integrated that boozy is not a fair term. This is meant to be sipped and savored (and more appropriately shared, even though for my first time around here I did not).

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

2011 bottle poured into a snifter...

A - Pours a pretty dark, cola-like color with some ruby highlights when held to the right light. A small, .5 finger tan head forms and recedes pretty quickly to a collar of the same color. Lacing is unremarkable. **EDIT: Just had this again and feel my previous score here was slightly low.

S - Really strong bourbon and vanilla mixed with caramel, butterscotch, and dark fruits (figs, dates, some cherry). Wood notes make an appearance from time to time. Some chocolate in there as well? Very nice complex nose.

T - Bourbon, vanilla and creamy butterscotch all the way here. Caramel and wood flavors come out as well. Some nice dark fruit and chocolate flavors add nicely to the profile along with a nice honey undertone. Alcohol definitely comes through on this one; pretty hot.

M - Butter-like smoothness (think butterscotch), syrupy, and some serious alcohol heat. Slight burn because of it. Medium-heavy bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - Really enjoyed this one for the first time. Would love to see what a couple of years does to this one. Lower alcohol burn would definitely give this one higher marks in my opinion.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Dark. Almost black, with deep ruby red coming through on the edges when held to light. Hardly any head, what little there is, is a slightly off white color. Good lacing.

S: BIG bourbon. BIG butterscotch. Dark fruit, raisins, figs. Vanilla. Very light roasted coffee. Super complex. I'm sure I'm missing a lot.

T: Again huge bourbon qualities. Butterscotch from front to back and all the way through the finish. Raisins, figs. Kind of hot. Way to complex for my palette. Can't wait for a year or two on this one. Mellow out the alcohol and it's a 5.

M: Full Bodied. Very thick. Super creamy. Taste lingers for ever.

O: What can I say? Firestone's Reserve Series should be crowned! Get this beer!!! I'm out!

4.79/5  rDev +7.4%

22oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours a very very dark mahogany red with a finger of dark tan head that quickly faded into a thick collar that left a few streaks of lacing down the glass.
S: I knew this was going to be a good beer before I even opened (I know, biased much?), but this smells deeper and more complex than I could have imagined. I get notes of caramel, raisins, vanilla, mint, herbal hops, pepper, pine resin, bourbon, honey, coco nibs and even a splash of coffee. I mean this beer has everything, and I haven’t even taken my first sip.
T: Again, very rich and complex flavors. There is an amazing balance between sweet, spicy, and alcohol. I get dominant notes of spicy bourbon and woody cask flavors along with vanilla and a honey-like sweetness, but there are more subtle flavors of molasses, raisin and red grapes, caramel, and both herbal and pine hops. The vanilla in the finish reminds me of marshmallows, and that splash of coffee and chocolate I smelled is present in the aftertaste. I get a note or two of leather and tobacco in the aftertaste as well, and those flavors along with some warm bourbon linger long after I swallow.
M: Low, even carbonation over a thick body and slick, sticky mouthfeel. The bourbon and alcohol are warm but comfortable and work well with the boldness of the flavor.
O: Just an amazingly rich and bold beer with complex and well integrated flavors. I enjoyed this whole bottle over the course of a couple hours and savored every sip!

4.57/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Poured a deep brownish color with a small white head(so to speak)

S: Nose was like WHAM! bourbon, vanilla, wood, chocolate hints of cocoa and espresso

T: Complex..vanilla, bourbon, oak, oats, caramel, toffee, cocoa, roasted malt and a mass amount of sugar not to mention well hopped.

M: Nice, sweet big body beer for sure but I like a bit of chewiness in my bwines. This was good but opposite almost to easy to drink for a bwine, like buttery smooth

O: Amazingly good!

4.39/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bomber into a pint glass. Been lookin forward to this one. Let's see what it has to offer.

A- Pours a pretty cola, maroon color. Brown and red tangle for dominance. The head is tan in color, billowing at first but dissipates down pretty quick to a thin ring. No noticeable lace.

S- Wow, what a nose! Strong bourbon and vanilla aroma warms the nostrils at first. There is a very strong caramel base, along with toffee and dark fruits. Fig and dates mostly. But the bourbon upfront is awesome.

T- The bourbon flavor dominates in flavor as it does in the aroma. The vanilla follows suit but is not as strong. There's a sweetness of hard candy in this beer but not cloying. I probably could've held on to this a little longer as the booze is still fairly warm. The dark fruit flavor is in the background of the brew, and some malt for good measure.

M- The mouthfeel is very syrupy and smooth. Thick, and full bodied. Carbonation was evident from head but feels low in the mouth. There's deffinitely heat in the mouth and throat from the booze.

O- This is like drinking a lower abv Gentlemans Jack Daniels. There's still enough elements to to remind you that this is beer. I let this sit for three months and couldn't wait. I say if you love bourbon, drink right away. If you want that flavor to mellow and tasteore like a beer, let it sit for at least six months. Still, this is an excellent barleywine.

4.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage, 22 oz. bomber, poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Beautiful deep mahagony brownish colored, clear, with a small, thin, lingering foam ring. Little lacing.

S - Caramel, toffee, sweet bready malts. Little bit of dark fruits, figs and plums. Subtle vanilla and oaky aromas are blended quite nicely. Light earthy hops.

F/M - Rich malty goodness up front. Loads of dark fruits and caramel, bready malts, and a late piney/earthy hop flavor leads to a moderate bitterness which helps to keep this malt bomb from being too sweet. Vanilla and a light tannic oakiness appear as the beer reaches room temperature. A touch of alcoholic warmth in the belly, not in the throat. Medium full bodied with moderate carbonation. A little thick and oily on the palate. Lingering bready caramel malts long after the finish.

O - What a great beer. Delicious, rich, and bold, another top-notch beer from Firestone Walker.

4.84/5  rDev +8.5%

My 100th Review!!! Thanks to all that voted for this via my post!!!

A- Pours a deep dark ruddy, muddy Red/Mahogany stained brown. A pillow of tan lace floats a top this beautiful brew before quickly dissapating. Little hints of lacing left behind, but it's more oily than I would have thought. Decent carbonation pops and bubbles from my DFH Signature glass.

S- Vanilla, charred oak, dried plums, figs, dried cherries, alcohol, roasted pecans and macadamia nuts. I don't even wanna taste this... I just wanna bask in the awesomeness and perfection that is in the nose of this one! Absolutely... one of the top 3 or 5 brews that I've ever laid my nose on!

T- Sweet vanilla and dark dried fruit! Nice toasty oak flavor and alcohol burn. Some complain about high alcohol brews, but I love them and revell in them. If you like Bourbon, you're gonna LOVE this!!! Lovely figgy jam... sticky and sweet... roasted nuts, caramel, toffee popcorn, and love!!! Yes... I can taste the love that was put into this fantastic barleywine!

M- Semi-thick is how I would best describe this one! Really caramel coating, laced with notes of honey, figs, molasses, and brown sugar. I somehow wish it was just a touch thicker tho... I'm thinking this is WAY more English BW style than West Coast!!! I'm not picking up much more than a hint of hops. The vanilla from the oak aging is perfect and spot on! Kids... It just doesn't get any better than this!

O- This is perfect! Absolutely perfect! I can't imagine a Bourbon Barrel Barleywine topping this... but I'll be sure to try all that I can get my hands on! This is Heaven and Hell in a glass... Sin and seduction, Beauty and the Beast!!! Every taste that you smell becomes history ... and every smell that you taste becomes a memory... I will remember this forever!

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

from notes.

Pours a reddish hued brown. When out of the light it's almost black with an ivory white head that sticks around to a noticeable amount of lacing.

Smells like chocolate, vanilla, oak, bourbon and the best smell in the world. Alcohol heat is very present but I like it a lot.

Tastes are sweet caramel, booze, and a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly medium with good carbonation. I was chewing on almost every sip.

Overall is probably the best Barley Wine I've ever had. Quickly becoming my new favorite brewery.

4.35/5  rDev -2.5%

This was the first of the I had tried by this brewery so it's fairly new in Philadelphia. I didn't know much about them ahead of time so basically just bought this out of curiosity. This beer poured black with a thin white head. The aroma was very sweet with notes of vanilla, plum, and burnt sugar. The taste was a little more mellow than expected, not as cloyingly sweet as I thought it would be after smelling the beer. The mouthfeel was very creamy and woody with a nice alcohol burn on the finish. The wood masked some of the assertiveness seen in most barleywines and instead added a lot of complexity to it. I couldn't imagine drinking more than one since my palate was totally exhausted when I was done. This beer was a bit pricey, but it was worth every penny. It was definitely one of the best barleywines I've ever had and I can't wait to try more from this brewery.

2011 bottle

appearance - dark ruby color. lots of black in the ruby. nice head.

smell - brown sugar, vanilla, oak, toffee and caramel

taste - wow that vanilla is something, oak and bourbon come in, brown sugar and toffee and caramel

mouthfeel - incredibly smooth. for such a fresh barleywine its drinking so well. tasty little fellow

4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 22oz brown bomber into a clear glass snifter. 2011 vintage. Purchased at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $15.99.

A: Rusty brown burned caramel color with solid 1-finger of head that dissipates pretty quickly but leaves a few scraps of lace.

S: Sumptuous caramel-toffee aroma mixed with vanilla and coconut, chocolate, and espresso. Herbal and citrus floral hopes make an appearance along with smooth whiskey.

T: A stellar barleywine to be sure. Layered caramel and toffee flavors with a lot of sweetness but plenty of slightly burnt toast dominate, and the vanilla, whiskey, and coconut really accent the huge maltiness and maintain this from becoming cloying. The alcohol is powerful, but it does not detract in the least - it stays pretty neutral and mostly provides warming. The barrel-aged notes add spice and bourbon notes with the coconut. The citrus hops bitterness with mango and pineapple coupled with the amazingly medium-dry finish are instrumental to this beer treading the fine line of over-sweet syrupy and greatness, finally landing on greatness. I had 2011 Parabola last week and really enjoyed it, but Abacus really outshines it with its complexity and roundness.

M: Smooth and silky with low carbonation and a giant body behind the 13% ABV.

O: One of the best two or three beers I have tried this year. It is different than FW Anniversary 14 but just as enjoyable. I don't tell myself to go out and buy too many $15.99 bombers, but this is one I am going to try to find a couple more of to lay down for 4-5 years. A superb barrel-aged beer. Nice job FW. Highly recommended.

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

Had on tap at Hollinghead's and Beachwood BBQ. Also have had one bottle of 2011 edition.

A - Very dark red color -- almost chestnut. Very little head quickly dissipates as soon as that alcohol starts to breath.

S - Vanilla, figs, dates, bourbon, and wood. I love the smell of this beer.

T - Sweet, caramel tasting malt on the front with hints of vanilla, dried fruits (dates, figs), a slight hint of tobacco, and of course bourbon. Finishes nice and dry without any heat from the alcohol content.

M - Light/Medium body with mild carbonation. For a beer with this much alcohol, I think its incredibly balanced.
Reviewed on: 07-17-2011 19:45:40

Note: I love this beer, but I prefer it on tap vs bottle. I think it should also be served around 40-45 degrees and slowly sipped as it warms up. The spectrum of flavor is amazing !

4.78/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Decent pourability foams very fast with loose bubbles... Mildly disappointing head. Lots of great roasted coffee-caramel color.

S - Very tobacco! Great raisin scent too. Vanilla is strong too. Very little heat coming through.

T - Great oak! Big brew with awesome flavor. Coconut, red grapes, roasty, vanilla, Definitely the best b-wine out there. Quite sweet from all of the oak.

M - Great carbonation! Mild heat, no bitterness, and wonderful sweetness. .

O - An amazing brew. Hand down one of my all time favorites. If anyone wants some, let me know. I believe everyone should try Sucaba at some point in their life. Beyond recommended.

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip.

Caramel brown color. Two finger beige head. Good lacing and retention. Looks great.

Smells of caramel, toffee, vanilla, hints of oak, and a touch of bourbon. A solid dose of booziness too, but not off putting.

Taste follows smell, only more intense. Also, a really nice dose of bitter and earthy hops balance out the sweet flavors. Some coffee and black licorice flavor in addition to what was in the nose. Finish is tobacco, leather, caramel, and vanilla fudge. Awesome. Solid smack of booze as well.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, but light on it's feet. Carbonation isn't high, but kinda high for a barrel aged beer, and it breaks up the stickiness and heaviness of the body. Perhaps could have been a little less carbonated and more viscous. Acidity could be a little more restrained as well, but it sort of adds a sharpness and brightness to the beer that is kinda nice. Alcohol is there, and makes itself known, and kinda helps balance the sweet flavors.

One of the best barrel aged barleywines I have ever tried. Top 5 for sure. Just a great beer.

4.57/5  rDev +2.5%

22 oz bottle, 13% abv. 2011 edition. Darker chestnut color. Off white head falls to a thin ring immediately.

Big notes of bourbon, vanilla, dark ripe fruit, caramel, fig, and wood. All melds together perfectly.

Lots of malt up front. Caramel and fig flavors. Great bourbon barrel feel. Underlying vanilla and oak. Some ripe fruit, soaked in booze. Drying as it finishes.

Medium body, lighter carbonation. Some warmth, but not overly hot. Great range of flavors here. What a fantastic beer.

4.42/5  rDev -0.9%

drank last night with friends; reviewed from notes.

poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: Amber bodied beer that is slightly cloudy yet brilliant at the same time. Very small cap of whitish head that dissaptes to no head at all after pouring.

Smell: This beer is really sweet smelling. Bourbon and vanilla are huge; caramel malt and oak.

Taste: Bourbon and Oak. Vanilla, caramel, brown sugar, rasins, and figs. This beer is pretty hot and boozy.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and sticky. Full bodied beer has low carbonation.

Overall: One of the best barleywines that i have had! Firestone Walker does an impressive job with barrell aged beers!

§ucaba from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.