Parabola | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

ParabolaParabola

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

This Russian imperial oatmeal stout is aged for a full year in a blend of bourbon barrels from Elijah Craig, Four Roses, Pappy Van Winkle, Woodford Reserve, and Buļ¬€alo Trace.

Added by largadeer on 03-26-2008

Ratings: 6,459 |  Reviews: 1,235

4.3/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured a black body with small tan head and a lace ring that never left the glass. I pick up not only booze in the aroma but dark fruits like raisins, figs, plum(?), some bourbon and wood as well as a little sweetness. A very heavy, boozy beer that is great but definitely made sure I could only have one. Thick, not sticky but this is going to leave some beer remnants on your tongue, a little heat on the finish and this beer actually benefits from a woodiness to keep it flowing smooth. As for tastes I pick up the dark fruits which is still mostly figs and raisins and again I swear a hint of plum, possible black cherry, all combining with a vanilla-like bourbon sweetness that is wonderfully balanced.

4.55/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2014 bomber poured a brownish black into a snifter with a finger of dark tan head. Smell is sweet with raisins, plums and some molasses on the nose. Taste is similarly sweet with some fruit- raisins and cherries- up front, and some milk chocolate that follows, with a touch of bitter chocolate at the end. Everything gets more intense as it warms. Carries the 14 % ABC very well. Mouthfeel is light but oily, leaves it's mark, but with a nice carbonation. Very similar to BCBS coffee in taste. Expensive, but you see where your money went.

4.85/5  rDev +6.8%

2014 Vintage

Very expensive brew. $17+tax a bomber. Limit one per person at Spec's. Im sure this brew is worth a full review. Considering how many Barrel Stouts I've had, I'll probably be going over the same tastes as all Barrel Stouts. Not saying I won't enjoy it but saying $17 a bottle? Oh well. I digress...

Pours black as ever. No krausen (so to speak). Aromas of vanilla, bourbon, leather, molasses, chocolate. The taste is big. I wanna take it to the dance and bang it behind the building. So dangerous. Thick bodied but with curves in all the right places. Sticky vanilla and bourbon and coffee and just a hint of heat peeking out the side of the tiniest lace. This beauty will sneak up on you and make you forget your inhibitions. Forgive me father for I have sinned. This will be my last confession because I am changing my religion to worshipping this she-devil. No offense father.

I Understand why they charge so much. Well whatever they charge, the distributor upcharges, and the store upcharges. Its a great brew. Hands down. Oh and I forgot to mention, nice kiss of bitterness in the finish and and nice mellow carbo...

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.