Parabola | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

ParabolaParabola

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

This Russian imperial oatmeal stout is aged for a full year in a blend of bourbon barrels from Elijah Craig, Four Roses, Pappy Van Winkle, Woodford Reserve, and Buļ¬€alo Trace.

Added by largadeer on 03-26-2008

Ratings: 6,487 |  Reviews: 1,240

4.54/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

What a lucky score I got at Craft beer outlet. A parabola #004.
I poured this into my firestone tulip after letting this brew warm up a bit.
The color is deepest brown with very sutle hints of ruby. The head was deepest mocha and lingered long after the pour as a thick foamy ring. Spotty lacing was left on the glass.
The aroma has a depth but is dominated by a huge alcohol presence. It seems to take over the smell. That aside one can smell dark fruits, coffee or espresso, vinilla roasted malts and bourbon barrels.
Drinks thick and velvetty on the palate but with touchs of tannins that make it semi dry.
A bold roasted malt flavor greets you first perhaps with even some char and burnt malts.
Considerable alcohol notes intermingle and weave through the flavor. The alcohol presence is really too much for me, it's very dominate in the taste like in the nose.
Like the nose the flavor depth is quite deep I can taste coffee, vinilla, licorise, fruits, char and oak to name a few.
A wonderfull beer very complex and flavorfull. The alcohol and bourbon were through the roof for me. I cut the rest of the bottle with some DBA. The mix made an excellent bourbon barrel black IPA.

Amazingly balanced hefty stout, at a great price.

The first time I had this one, 2011, I walked into a BevMo to buy two beers for myself to drink during a house party...and got 2 bottles of this, thinking "meh, cheap burly Stout, that'll do great for the night" not knowing at all what I had.

Half way through the night, I'm completely trashed off both bottles wondering what this was and why it tasted so amazing, and when did Firestone get so good when I only remember the DBA being boring before!? This really turned me onto them, and I keep an eye out for any in the Reserve Series (Abacus/Sucaba is great, too).

Anyway. Now I always buy the max, and I have at least 2-3 of each vintage since then in my cellar.

Dark, rich, not much carbonation, chocolate and bourbon notes, lots of roasted malts...just about everything I want in a stout.

Can't wait for the 2014 release, so I can keep the cycle going.

4.76/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2012 bottle into snifter.

A - Black as night with a small bubbly tan head.

S - Burnt toffee, oak, vanilla, roasted malt. Slight hint of alcohol fumes.

T - Delicious blend of vanilla cream, dark chocolate, and bourbon. Woodsy and sweet. Dark fruit and espresso really start to come through as the beer warms. The flavors are very well balanced.

M - Extra creamy, smooth as silk. Full body, low carbonation. Warming alcohol.

O - This is an incredible stout. Lots of complexity. Extremely enjoyable and surprisingly easy to drink - the alcohol is masked well, but this is one to sip and savour. A perfect barrel aged stout.

4.91/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

some of the highly rated beers have been a disappointment, this however is not one of them. As far as taste goes, this is most likely the best tasting beer I have ever had, with the possible exception of central waters 15. I wish I could get my hands on a case every year, a guy can dream right?

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.