Parabola | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

ParabolaParabola
4.61/5
World-Class
ParabolaParabola

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

This Russian imperial oatmeal stout is aged for a full year in a blend of bourbon barrels from Elijah Craig, Four Roses, Pappy Van Winkle, Woodford Reserve, and Buffalo Trace.

Added by largadeer on 03-26-2008

#26

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,772 |  Reviews: 1,300
4.62/5  rDev +0.2%

22oz bottle poured into my Deschutes snifter. Really looking forward to this beer!

Appearance - Pours a deep, dark black color with about a fingers worth of dark brown looking bubbles that aren't quite creamy, but that's probably the best descriptor for them. Head diminishes pretty quickly, but leaves a nice dark tan ring and a grouping of rockier bubbles in the middle.

Smell - There are some aromas of barrel aging, but they aren't overpowering and not strictly Bourbon barrel notes in the smell. There's a good deal of oak and barrel juice, but not straight bourbon barrels like some other beers (think Older Viscosity 2011). Makes sense though because they didn't just age this in Bourbon barrels, it's blended with some other stuff as well. Other notes in there are big bitter dark chocolate and burnt roast malt like a wonderful RIS should be. Behind that there's some pretty strong vanilla, hints of coffee and I feel like what I can't quite put my finger on is notes of dark fruit or slight dark cherry. Very complex and enjoyable aroma!

Taste - At first, the taste hits me with lots of dark roasted malt, smooth bittersweet chocolate, vanilla sweetness, charred oak, and some Bourbon hints. The barrel aged flavors are complex, but not strong or overpowering at all. You can tell there was some blending going on, some bourbon barrel aging, some other things as well. Next I get more of that rich dark chocolate and rich roasted malt and maybe some toffee and some of the dark fruit from the nose. Finish is some more dark chocolate and bold roasted malt of an RIS with just the slightest alcohol hint of alcohol on the way down, but still so smooth and wonderful. Overall, I think the taste of this is near fantastic. You can tell it's Bourbon barrel aged (mostly, but not all), but it's not in your face about it. The flavors meld with a complexity that I think I've yet to experience in any other beer I've had. Frankly, I think this is pretty damn deserving of 5.0 in the taste. I can only imagine how this one is going to age after a year or two.

Mouthfeel - Mouthfeel actually tends towards the lighter side for an Imperial Stout, but not light by any means. I was surprised to find myself not needing an extended amount of time between sips to get the mouth coating dryness to go away so I could take another sip. That aspect makes this one very drinkable and almost dangerous for the ABV it's at. I would describe the mouthfeel as velvety smooth, with a full, rich body (not heavy) and a moderate carbonation.

Overall - I just can't say enough about the complexity of this beer. It's like the *perfect* amount of everything mixed in. I'm not a fan of drinking a stout that tastes like someone slipped a shot of Bourbon in it. If I wanted that much Bourbon flavor, I'd just drink Bourbon. But this beer finds a wonderful middle ground between Bourbon and the other barrels used and it really just compliments what I can imagine the base beer being. Absolutely wonderful beer and I can't wait for the other half I have warming up from fridge temp!

4.43/5  rDev -3.9%

A- None more black...Great, bold, and bight black. no haze at all

S- Chocolate, coffee, decent amount of roasted malts. Everything is balanced pretty damn well.

T- Oh wow. Great coffee, chocolate flavors blend excellently with some slight roast at the backend. Finishes perfectly....

M- This is what really stood out to me on this beer is the mouth feel. Just like a big thick cask condition Imperial Stout. Supper creamy and gentle on the palate, like a glass of milk. Truly awesome.

O- Amazing beer, gets better ever ytime i have it, which says a lot. Wish i could drink this on the reg, but what would i dream about?

4.67/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a bomber into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours dark as night, with a thick creamy 1 finger brown head. Fades to a thin head, leaving spotty lacing.

S - The smells are so wonderfully combined, of coffee, dark chocolates, burnt toasty oak, and ever a little bit of black licorice.

T - Dark chocolates hit the tongue right away. The middle gives way to vanilla, and a chared woodsey flavor. Very warming as it goes down. The taste is just as complex as the smell is.

M - Nice and thick, full-heavy mouthfeel. Perfect amount of carbonation for an imperial stout.

O - This is a very well crafted imperial stout. It's everything a stout should be, thick, complex, robust. It's all here. I can't wait to see what some aging will do to this...

Firestone comes through once again.
Blacker than the inside of a dead mans coffin on a moonless night.
Scent of chocolate, bourbon and coffee.
Great, complex flavor, a little boozie but that dessipates and comes back oakie and charred.
I think I'll ration out the case over a year and see how it evolves.

4.75/5  rDev +3%

Was fortunate to have this on tap at the Taproom in Buellton. 2011 poured in a snifter.

A: Pours thick and black. The head is about a finger of a nice brown color.

S: Chocolate, vanilla, & bourbon

T: Complex layering of consisting of chocolate (so good!), vanilla, oak, toffee, bourbon but not overpowering, and some coffee/espresso.

M: Perfectly thick & rich with mild carbonation.

O: Outstanding big beer. FW continues to impress with their Parabola. This beer is very complex and hides the alcohol nicely! Just the right amount of bourbon comes through. Don't pass up the opportunity to try some if you have the chance!

4.11/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured into a tulip, black as night, with a 2 finger brown head. Wow. This is one good looking beer. Good luck trying to see through this one. Leaves a bit of lacing as well. I primarily smell booze and some vanilla, with a little bit of dark chocolate, and a slight hint of cherries. The smell is pretty good and clearly has a lot of dimensions to it..however, I feel like the booze is a little too prominent in the smell. Taste is bourbon, dark fruits, vanilla, dark chocolate. For such high IBUs, I really do not get much bitterness at all..the end is mostly bourbon rather than hops. I could really use more chocolate and less booze in the taste. I think I would love this beer if that were the case.

I am going back and forth on this beer. Just for the record - I am not a big fan of bourbon barrel aged stouts. I generally find them too bourbon forward and not balanced enough. This is by far the most balanced bourbon barrel aged stout I've had. However, overall, this is still not a beer I would seek out or trade my first born for. It's a very good beer...and I'm curious to see how it will drink with a year on it. It is still too hot to me right now. It leaves a slightly unpleasant boozy aftertaste that I'm not fond of. Luckily, I have another one, so I think I will sit on that for a while. When it comes to imperial stouts, the Abyss has my heart, and so far nothing has come very close. This is no exception.

4.58/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz bottle, batch 002 poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 5/27/11

A: Pours black with fluffy brown head. Decent retention that leaves some lacing around glass. Some dark reddish brown hues around the edges when held to the light.

S: Roasted malts, oak, chocolate, vanilla and some alcohol. Alcohol becomes much more pronounced and begins to overpower the other aromas as it warms up from cellar temperature.

T: Layers of extremely rich and delicious bittersweet chocolate, oak, roasted malts, vanilla with some bourbon notes and a touch of alcohol. Fantastic.

M: Silky smooth full body with moderate carbonation, a bit more carbonation than I like in an imperial stout. Very little heat for a fresh 13% ABV barrel aged stout.

O: One of my favorite imperial stouts. You can really taste the additional complexities from the bourbon barrel aging without having the bourbon overpower everything else thats going on. Another world class beer from Firestone Walker.

4.38/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 001.

A - Dark brown, near pitch black. Half a finger of brown head.
Ruby edges.

S - Alcohol, molasses, dark fig. some chocolate.

T - Chocolate, a bit of alcohol. Some figginess. Finish is a chocolate extravaganza. Some whiskey flavors as it warms.

M - Full bodied, creamy. A touch of alcohol burn. I love the creaminess. Overall a brilliant feel. Ever so slightly cloying.

O - This is phenomenal. Could drink this any day. Deserves to be one of the best. The finish is hard to match.

4.67/5  rDev +1.3%

2011 version, acquired from the Firestone Walker brewery in Paso Robles. Massive props to my mom for picking this one up for me on her way to SF! The bottles states 12.5% abv.

A: Dark motor oil with minimal dark chocolate head. No light penetrates the glass ... beautiful.

S: Intensely complex. Oak, vanilla, roasted caramel, bourbon and subtle hops.

T: Very palatable for such a high alcohol beer. The bourbon character from barrel aging is well-balance. Layers of complexity one would expect from a world class barrel-aged imperial stout. Impossible to describe but it is massive and dangerously drinkable. I imagine the flavors will meld and the hops will mellow in time ... will probably be a 5 with a year of cellaring.

M: Surprisingly light ... I don't get any of the syrupy/oily aftertaste one might expect, which is a good thing.

O: This is one well worth seeking out, although I suspect many will be disappointed with its availability, especially us in CA. I didn't give it a 5 because this will only get better with age. However, it is outstanding right now.

4.77/5  rDev +3.5%

2011 vintage On tap at the release at the brewery into a 6 ounce sniffer

Pours a deep deep dark brown, with a slight mocha colored head.

The nose is out of this world, chocolate brownie or fudge followed with carame, toffee and oak.

The taste follows the nose perfectly, chocolate and vanilla with toffee tossed in. A mild oaky bourbon flavor towards the end, the alcohol taste does not indicate 13%.

The mouth is smooth and oily. A nice thick texture.

An amazing beer that should really age well.

4.68/5  rDev +1.5%

Today was a good day!
Yesterday on the official release of this '11 Parabola, I didn't have time to stop by Firestone on my way to a wedding in San Luis Obisbo. But I'm glad because today we stopped by and took our time and was able to enjoy a meal as well as this phenomenal beer.

From the tap to a snifter tasting glass:
Poured a beautiful thick pitch black color. Nothing visible while held to light. Light frothy khaki head. Very little head retention.

Notes of deep chocolate/cacao, rich bourbon, roasted malt, leather and a little roasted nut.

Deep, dark full flavor with the Same flavor notes for the most part. Nice chocolate flavor up front with sweet/dark maltiness, nice alcohol-bourbon and a little oaky.

Smooth and almost creamy mouthfeel at first to the bourbonny alcohol zip. And that nice chocolatey bourbon aftertaste. Low carbonation.

The only reason I did not give this beer a perfect score is because it will be absolutely perfect after some proper aging. All the extra levels of flavor will open up that much more to make this beer a life changer. It is crafted So Well. So Balanced. Not overwhelming in Any way. I got 2 bottles for myself and can't wait for the right time to enjoy this Perfect Imperial Stout again.

Smooth and silky with the alcoholic zip. Low carbonation.

Vintage 2010 Poured into a snifter

A: looks thick, it pours black so black maybe the blackest beer I have ever seen brown head looks so good glugging out of the bottle.

S: Rich sweetness deep caramel brandy notes bourbon notes chocolate and vanilla complex and very great smelling beer even maybe some dark cherry in there wow! no alcohol to speak of and I am drinking this thing warm almost room temp

T: Rich complex up front slight tartness on the tip of your tongue lots of bourbon and brandy character with chocolate. vanilla and cherry with roasted malts. 13% and no alcohol wow

M: super thick, one of the thickest beers I have ever had.

Overall: This is the best imperial stout I have ever had, Thanks FSW for making this crazy ass huge beer that is crazy good.

4.35/5  rDev -5.6%

22oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter. 2010 vintage, split with mjyoung.

A: Pours pitch black with a finger of dark brown head that faded into a thin collar leaving soapy spots of lacing down the glass.
S: Super dark and rich notes of black licorice, spicy bourbon, caramel, and dark roasted malts.
T: Follows the nose with big notes of licorice, bourbon, roasted malts and maybe a hint of chocolate and coffee. The finish is full of vanilla, marshmallow and latte foam. The aftertaste is extremely roasted, smoky and lasts forever.
M: Full bodied, thick mouthfeel with soft carbonation. Super rich and creamy feeling. For 13% the alcohol is barely noticeable.
O: An amazing amazing brew. I liked this with a year on it better than I did fresh on tap.

4.62/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 Batch 2 Bottling.

Pour: Jet black with a one fingered dark tan (espresso) head that lingers for a few minutes then turning into a small bubbled edge clinging head.

Nose: Fudge brownies, vanilla, charred oak, toffee, caramel, slight hops, espresso, slight alcohol and marshmallow. The bourbon character seems very smooth and well integrated into the beer. Very complex.

Taste: Fudge brownie, vanilla, charred oak, thick molasses, slight alcohol, bourbon (toasted coconut, charred oak, toffee and caramel), marshmallow and espresso. Also, a nice hop profile comes into play at the end of all the massive chocolate and bourbon notes.

Mouthfeel: Thick and oily, tongue coating (hell, mouth coating). This is a beer to bs respected.

Overall: I absolutely think FW has it going on here. An incredibly crafted stout that is underrated as far as I'm concerned. It's better (IMO) than The Abyss, Dark Lord, Speedway, MZ, etc. Absolutely amazing.

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

This is my second review. Met David Walker as he handed me a snifter of Parabola and 12th Anniversary each during Seattle Beer Week. Chocolate, oak, vanilla, coffee, toffee, and bourbon flavors. This is the second year bottling. Exceptional RIS. My favorite.

4.67/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance. Pours a deep, deep brown, close to black. Looks thick and viscous with no head and just a trace of carbonation.

Smell. Heavy chocolate and booze. Maybe a little oak and vanilla.

Taste. Chocolate. Lots of chocolate. A little oak. Some vanilla and brown sugar. Less booze than expected from the smell, but still present.

Mouthfeel. Full body. A little sticky. Ultra smooth, light carbonation.

Overall. Awesome stuff. The only complaint would be a little heat, but a few years should help that.

4.3/5  rDev -6.7%

We had a beertasting at Beerpirates place on sunday the 15th of may 2011. Jeffo, Claark13, Bierschenker, beerpirates and i drank a whole bunch of beers. Thanks for your hospitality Wim!

Poured in my Westvleteren tasting glass this beer looked very nice, the oily lacing sticks to the glass. Head is low. Far away in the taste you can get some hops. Vanilla is also to find in this chocolat dark beer.

4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

2010 Bottle:
Darkest shade of brown possible just before black. Big creamy espresso brown cap. Sticky organic film of lace coats the interior of the glass.

Sweet rich caramel and molasses. Roasty dark chocolate and coffee. Oak and vanilla, charred wood, earthy tobacco, and Bourbon. A touch of dark fruit.

Roasty coffee and dark chocolate. Molasses and clove spiced bread. Charred smokey earth and wood. Vanilla and caramel Oak. Boozey bourbon kick with a big bitterness.

Chewy thick syrupy full body. Smooth, creamy, and velvety. Low carbonation enhances the creaminess.

Drinks big and bold. Complex and tasty as fuck. While booze is apparent, maybe doesnt feel quite like 13%. One of the best barrel aged stouts I've ever tried.

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Bottle, 2010 vintage, split amongst "the crew".

A - Pours black, light tan-colored head, nice thick collar, bubbles around the sides of the glass, no lacing or retention.

S - Dark fruity sweetness, chocolate, oak, honey, with a nice smooth boozy alcohol heat. Very sweet, but the alcohol helps maintain some level of balance without being too hot.

T - Smooth boozy chocolate, dark fruits, honey, oak, some vanilla. Nice level of sweetness and booze. Very rich and dessert-like. A nice dose of booze, but there's no way I would be able to guess it's 13%.

M - Full, rich and smooth, nice light carbonation, creamy finish.

O - An excellent BA stout. It's truthfully hard to find something wrong with this beer, besides the looks. Some of those who had this fresh said it's really settled down over the year (or so) it's been aging. Recommend, the 2010 vintage is drinking wonderfully now.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Batch #1. This one's about a year old.

A-Gorgeous jet black with 1/4 inch of chocolate milk colored head.

S-Bourbon oak, vanilla, caramel. A little boozy, but nothing significant.

T/M-The first thing that strikes me about Parabola is the wonderful silky mouthfeel. It coats the palate, allowing the full range of flavors to creep in slowly. Lots of bourbon oak, obviously. The requisite caramel/vanilla flavors are well integrated. This is a really great BA stout. The finish is warming and boozy. Never gets too sweet, which can be a problem with other beers in this style. The finish reveals a light roasted coffee bean flavor that I didn't catch right away. Full bodied with low carbonation.

O-Great stuff.

4.55/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Chico1985 busting out another big gun! Thanks as always, reviewed from notes last night. Bottle dated 05/05/10 (05+05=10).... reviewed on 05/06/11 (05+06=11), weird number patterns, maybe were in for a treat!

A- Pitch black oil comes out of the bottle and a dark mocha colored head forms on top of it. A nice size and good retention. Frothy cloud and ring leave a nice coat of thick lace.

S- Bourbon and very rich chocolate. Pretty much no alcohol. Good oak notes. Smells like a very decadent chocolate cake dessert, yummy.

T- Roasted malt and rich chocolate followed very nicely by whiskey, toasted oak and vanilla. Cherry, raisins and dark fruit add a good dimension once it starts to warm up a lot. A tiny hint of earthy hops as well.

MF- Thick and almost chewy feel with a very silky smooth level of carbonation. Just a bit of warmth from alcohol.

Amazingly hidden ABV and a very rich flavor make this one drink dangerously. A really nice blend of flavors come in this bottle, anyone who likes big stouts needs to try this.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Bomber shared with cbutova. nerd sent me this as an extra in a trade, much thanks! This was exactly 1 year, 1 day old and I didn't even know it until I had already opened it, awesome.

Pours black as black. Small brown head turns to ring eventually leaving some lacing.

Smell is rich chocolate cake and roasted malt, not much bourbon barrel. Simple but great scent, gains strength with warmth.

Tastes like fudge brownies, vanilla, oak and bourbon are on the light side but balanced excellently. Big on roasted malts, smoky almost. Has the feel of a very traditional imperial stout with a good, not overpowering bourbon taste which is awesome.

13%, wha wha? Insanely hidden, goes down so easy. Lowish carbonation, thick mouthfeel, great balance. 13% here is a magic trick.

Comparing it to other bourbon stouts, it doesn't have the complexity of The Abyss, but this is WAY less harsh and more balanced than 1-year old Bourbon County Stout. Great beer, hope to get another bomber.

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Big thanks to Beerzebub for getting me this one, some time ago.

A - It pours a deep brown-black, and is capped with a tight tan head. It looks quite a bit like a FES; more so than RIS. Nice, regardless. Not so much lace, (or retention) but the brew shows legs to atone.

S - The nose is intially very basic heavily roasted stout character, with small hints of sweetish wood impartation. As it opens up I get wildly ranging notes including soy sauce, charcoal, cocoa, vanilla, caramel-toffee, and pipe tobacco.

T - The flavor is quite deep, favoring heavily roasted barley, coffee and chicory, and dry-drying oak notes (in contrast to the woody sweetness offered in the nose.) As it airs out, notes of vanilla, burnt sugar, dried medium- and stone- fruit, and booze are increasingly evident. I am left with the impression that this is intended to be a rather traditionalist take on the style (a la Stone IRS), as opposed to brews like BT, DL, Hunahpu, BCBS, et al. which eschew preconceived notions. As such, it is a resounding success.

M - The feel is kind of like a FES; it is somewhat too easy-drinking for the style?!

O - This is a rock-solid brew. Firestone Walker has impressed me with their steadfast grip on the fundamentals.

4.38/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into a Southern Tier tulip. Bottle courtesy of thedindaniel, thanks Daniel!

A - Pours a midnight black, there's no way to garner anything through this opaque deluge of liquid. It actually has a good amount of chocolate highlights, dancing around the edges and offering the any visibility in this beer. There's a nice 2-fingered, dark mocha head, quite dark and thick and composed of tightly bunched bubbles. It has some of the most sporadic lacing I've seen, spattering haphazardly around the glass. Decent alcohol legs as well.

S - The nose is very robust and complex, bringing rich aromas of chocolate, anise, slight dark fruits, and alcohol. The malts play a huge part in this beer, bringing a bit of roast, a thick fudge-like chocolate characteristic, and the licorice is quite strong. There's a little alcohol astringency in the back-end.

T - The first taste brings a huge rush of flavor that it's hard to categorize everything. At first there's huge chocolate and fudge notes, mixed with bourbon and vanilla. The bourbon is a complement to the flavors here rather than driving it, which is how I prefer my bourbon-aged beers to be. The roast is here as well, but doesn't give off much coffee notes, just some bitterness and a feeling similar to tobacco. The licorice is here is well, but more subdued and melds well with some of the other dark fruit here. The alcohol astringency is back here, but serves more as a reminder that this beer is 13% rather than something that makes this unenjoyable, as that is certainly not the case.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with pretty low carbonation. Acceptable carbonation for the style and it feels a bit syrupy in the mouth. Leaves a heavy coating on the palate and keeps injecting flavors in the aftertaste well after I put the glass down.

D - Drinkability is high. This is an excellent barrel-aged beer and certainly a great introduction to Firestone Walker. I'm a sucker for the chocolate fudge taste and smooth bourbon in stouts so this is definitely a favorite for me. I will definitely be seeking out further releases and try to cellar some!

3.35/5  rDev -27.3%

Acquired from beerbeerbeerbeer so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!

Consumed 4/19
Poured in to my Portsmouth snifter

A: This beer pours an opaque deep brown with a one finger brown head. Head recedes quickly leaving small spots of lacing.

S: Nose is sweet, toffee, molasses, brown sugar and a bit of roast.

T: Taste starts with a sweet vanilla and toffee flavoring. Middle has a roastiness where a hefty dose of alcohol flavoring takes over. Helloooo bourbon! More oaked vanilla notes and bitter bakers chocolate are present in the background.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, a bit thin and slightly prickly.

O: Goes down alright, somewhat tasty, somewhat filling, decent kick, ok representation of style. I was really looking forward to this beer, and although it's not undrinkable, I would opt for others of the style. Perhaps aging a bit would enhance this beer.

Parabola from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.61 out of 5 with 6,772 ratings