Firestone 12 - Anniversary Ale | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Firestone 12 - Anniversary AleFirestone 12 - Anniversary Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by barleywinefiend on 11-09-2008

Reviews: 186 | Ratings: 300

Thanks to a few BAs for this.

A. Poured in to my Portsmouth snifter. Poured like cola, minimal head, no lacing.

S. Heaven!! Toffey, vanilla, oak.

T. Oh yeah! Tobacco, bourbon, oak, caramel, vanilla, coffee.

M. Thick mouth coating, sticky sweet, warming alochol.

D. This is a wonderful beer, worth all the hype. I could drink this all the time.

A: Great brown/black with a thin brown head, amazing deep earthy color.

S: Fantastic complex rich earthy chocolately malty smell. Just an amazing delicious smell.

T: rich, bold, complex, coffee, leather and malty. Fantastically delicious and very very well integrated, less boozy than the FW13 is right now and far more complex. More pronounced flavors than the 11 is right now.

M: smooth and rich, viscous and perfectly carbonated.

D: very easy to drink. the perfect blend of flavors.

Absolutely delicious, great complex flavors while not being overwhelming, perfectly balanced, drinking perfectly right now.

My first perfect score. This may be the best beer I've ever had.

Pours near-black into a snifter. Tight, tan one-finger head fades fast, leaving a thin collar behind. Spotty lacing. Incredible nose, hints of caramel, toffee, butter, cream, oak, bourbon, cocoa, vanilla, and coffee intermingle, none dominating any other. If this were the last thing I ever smelled, I'd die happy. Cocoa, caramel, vanilla, coffee and oak are the main flavors on the palate. As it warms, more flavors come through; maple, cinnamon, coffee, and bourbon. The depth and complexity are astounding, yet everything is balanced very well. Medium-full body, with a soft, creamy mouthfeel. Barely any hint of alcohol. It's a sipper, but I could sip this all night.

This is a beer that deserves your full attention to really appreciate the subtleties and complexity. If my supply disappeared, I would sell my soul for more. I suggest you do the same.

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

On tap at Toronado last night in a firkin, along with Firestone 10. As expected, this was great. Darker than the 10, perhaps black. The base beer is Firestone's Parabola stout. Though it's blended with Saucerful of Secrets, Opal, and Rufus, according to the sheet handed out by a Firestone rep at the event. Taste is oak, coffee, vanilla, and a little more hoppiness than the Ten. abraser and I agreed that this tasted "younger," in that it seems built to improve significantly with additional age. Almost like a young wine, a little rough around the edges yet. Thankfully, I picked up a couple bottles to go, so look forward to trying this again down the road.

Update: Had this a few months later and it's mellowed out perfectly. Very prominent coffee and chocolate flavors. Delicious.

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours deep deep brown to nearly black with a light amount of tannish head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma of sweet bourbon and caramel arrive first, with earthen tobacco, oak and dark fruit in the background. A slight tartness on the nose reminiscent of blackerries and sherbert. Subtle alcohol warmth on the nose. Vanilla, cherry, toffee.

The exceptionally creamy mouthfeel nearly distracts from the wave of flavors starting with berries and fruit which give way to toffee and chocolate, some vanilla, creamy, dreamy, wonderful. Finishes warm and oaky.

Warms to a more distinct bourbon and vanilla climax but never loses it's smooth nature, despite the stength of the beer.

Really fantastic, shows an increased depth in the componant parts from last years offering. Deserved of being shared with all comers. A great beer, maybe the greatest.

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

O.K. here goes. Review #500... Big thanks to Abecall98 for providing this gem in a recent trade. He's a great trader!!!

Pours with a head that comes up from within the beer. About a finger thick and a light tan color. It does fade, rather quickly. The beer itself is darker then I expected. Dark brown almost black... When tilted to the light you can clearly see the brown tones.

Aroma is .... Perfect. Seriously. My God. Vanilla, earthy tones, like a nice bourbon.

I can totally see why this beer is suggested to be served between 50-55 degrees. This allows the depth of the flavors to come through. Wow, I can instantly see why this is a top rated beer. And this is not hype. Initial vanilla/oak... Then some mocha... not really coffee or chocolate but mocha. A touch of alcohol in the back just to warm your heart. Deep layers of malt wash over your tongue and mix perfectly with the barrel/wood tones. This is where the vanilla shines through.

The mouth feel is just wonderful. Full bodied. Smooth as a baby's bottom. The perfect warming effect without being too hot. At one point in the middle of a sip you think about chewing....

Drinkable? Are you kidding? Where do I get a case of this stuff?

This is an example of a beer that shows that the value of excellent beer vs. wine. This tastes and drinks like a $50-$75 bottle of cabernet. For $23 this it a total bargain....

BTW, this reminds me of another beer I love and I just can't think of it. Backwoods Bastard? (this is better) Damn, I am mad at myself.

Not sure I could have picked a better beer for # 500... See you at #1,000!!!

Where to start?

How about this is the best beer I've had this year.

Ruddy, dark drown with minimal head despite a very aggressive pour. Highlights of amber when held to the light.

Smells of torrified malt: caramel, toffee; candied pecans, bourbon, a slight Indonesian coffee component, touch of high quality Tahitian vanilla.

Notes of grade A Vermont maple syrup; bourbon oak; high quality milk chocolate truffle, sultana raisins, refined alcohol, Muscovado sugar, all interwoven perfectly. A beautifully complex beer that showcases the best of barrel aging and blending.

Smooth and slightly viscous in the mouth; luxuriant.

I could drink this as a nightcap without fail. I disagree with some of the other reviews- this is stellar right now! No need to age further.

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

Chocolate-covered fig brown with rust orange and cherry red accents at the bottom of the glass. The outstanding looking crown is a thick slice of golden brown sugar colored cream that doesn't look like it will fade in this lifetime. That's a remarkable achievement considering the double-digit ABV. Gossamer-like sheets of currently unbroken lace are now decorating the glass as well.

The nose is akin to an especially black licorice-like Belgian stout. It's incredibly powerful and speaks of good (make that great) things to come on the palate. No alcohol is noted, which is yet another impressive feat. Warming opens things up even more, which didn't seem possible on first sniff.

Historically, the Firestone Walker Anniversary brews have been blends of four different ales. XII is no exception. Its components include Parabola (Russian Imperial stout), Opal (wheatwine), Bravo (Imperial brown ale), and Saucerful O' Secrets (Belgian quadrupel). Let's see what this potentially devastatingly delicious exilir has to say for itself.

Wow! This 2008 offering may the best in the series to date, and that's saying something. First of all, any concerns about aging and whether this was the right time to crack the crown should be laid to rest. This beer is drinking beautifully right now and should last for many more years to come. Yeah, it's still *very slightly* warm, but show me a 12.0% ale that isn't.

It's impossible to pick out the contributions from the component beers, so I won't try. In any case, the end result in an incredibly well-integrated concoction that delivers the best attributes of several different styles. This beer's depth is unfathomable and its complexity is mind-boggling.

Flavors include dark chocolate-dipped figs, dates and raisins soaked in Sambuca, coffee, bourbon whiskey and brandy. There are caramelized sugar, vanilla bean and toasted oak notes galore, which adds immeasurely to an already jaw droppingly delectable brew. Let's not forget the dark berry vinousness of a large shot of tawny port. My oh my... oh my!

The mouthfeel, once I wrest my attention away from the taste bud extravaganza, is out of this world. It's big beer thick and chewy and heavy creamy smooth and silky. We might have to invent new adjectives to describe what goes on in the mouth with each upending of the glass.

Both Firestone X and Firestone XI were great beers. Firestone XII is transcendent beer that makes me glad to be alive with functioning taste buds. This is easily numero uno for 2010... and I seriously doubt if it will be challenged for that spot over the next several months.

4.94/5  rDev +12.5%

Dark woody brown with a silky tan head. Some thin lace as well.

Nose has big bready malts, ripe pitted fruits, oak, brandy, bourbon, vanilla, caramel, subtle hops, toffee and caramel. Quite impressive.

Flavor is just as complex. Aged cognac and whiskey presence over fruity malts, quiet hops, carmelized candies, oak and vanilla.

Big, creamy body with delicate carbonation. Nice lasting finish. Great stuff, top knotch. Will develop well over the next few years. Probably should have aged it a bit longer, but then again, I could say that about most beer I drink.

4.9/5  rDev +11.6%

Split a bottle with abfraser and waltonc last night.

A vigorous pour leaves a quarter inch head which quickly dissipates to just the edges and lasts throughout the tasting. It has the same color and viscosity as root beer.

The smell is unbelievable - toffee, caramel, slight chocolate undertones with a rich vanilla-bourbon alcohol finish. Reminds me a little of the Abacus but only in initial whiff - definitely has the distinctive FW barrel aging character.

Initially the taste follows the smell closely but after a few sips the Parabola base becomes much more discernable. This is a perfectly mix of imperial stout and alcohol - silky smooth and delicious mouth feel. Great carbonation as well.

The only fault that I can find in this is the high abv - not that I mind it but it definitely limits the number of glasses you can put back before passing out. Also the price definitely makes this a special occasion beer.

Overall one of the best beers that I can say I've had the chance to drink and am glad to have reserves in the cellar for future tastings. Only time will tell but I think that this will age better than the FW 11 and is on par with the 10 for quality if not better. A superb effort by Firestone.

4.87/5  rDev +10.9%

This beer pours an inky black color, with a tan head that faded slowly, leaving a good lacing.

This beer has a strong vanilla aroma. I can detect some hints of oak. A nice mild bourbon aroma is present as well. Sweet caramel and toffee mix in. There is a plethora of aromas in this beer.

This beer tastes like it smells. Vanilla, oak, bourbon, caramel, toffee, figs. The beer has a lot of different flavors, but they go well toghether.

This beer is incredably well balanced. It is full bodied, with low carbonation, suiting the style. The alcohol is well hidden in very aspect of this drinking experience.

This beer is very smooth, making it somewhat easy todrink. It alcohol content is pretty high though.

Overall: This was a great beer. I have one more, and I will probaby age it for a few years. I wish I had more.

4.87/5  rDev +10.9%

[This was my first review. It ended up listed as a more recent review after I accidentally selected 're-reviewing' rather than 'editing' when I edited it recently.]

I've put this off for years, quietly excusing myself while I developed my palate to the point where my taste buds might provide input worth considering. What better way to start than with a bottle of Firestone Walker Twelve.

The bottle comes from a case I purchased at the brewery at the release party. I'm using my faithful Stone IRS goblet, and have poured it at about 55°F.

Held up to the light, the Twelve presents as nearly opaque, but certain angles reveal that it's actually a very dark garnet, which I notice the stem reflecting onto the table below it.

Pours a 1cm head that dissipates after a few minutes, leaving a distinct foam halo around the edge that stays for the whole ride. There's a striking contrast between the relatively light tan head and the black hole below it.

My nose is filled with bourbon, oak, vanilla, and dried fruits. Can one smell smooth?

The first sip confirms that it is indeed incredibly smooth and thick, followed by a relatively high carbonation bite, and finally a mild alcohol burn going down. Sitting on my tongue the bourbon again takes the lead, followed by the vanilla and toffee/caramel. As it warms to room temperature I get dark chocolate notes and find a definite scent of leather. Those sweet dried fruits also begin to find their place amongst all of this.

It's definitely a sipper, but one with such complexity and depth that you find the breaks between sips becoming increasingly shorter. This beer begs to be contemplated, even if you're not the type to contemplate such things.

One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.87/5  rDev +10.9%

Wow! This is an amazing beer! It pours a dark mahogany brown with some ruby highlights. A somewhat thinner than expected tan head with minimal lacing and somewhat poor retention. Thats about all I have to say negative about this beer. The smell is great. It has a caramel/vanilla/sweet chocolate/brandy-ness to it. A tad bit of alcohol as well. As far as taste goes, this is easily one of the best beers I have every had the pleasure of tasting. Full of complex dark flavors such as vanilla (the dominant flavor for me), sweet chocolate, brandy, some oak, a bit of coffee, some caramel, and the very warming alcohol as it goes down. I have a feeling there are about 13 more tastes in there that my buds just cant pick up. Mouthfeel is thick and full, I wouldnt say its heavy but very close. A slightly lower score on the drinkability just because this is a very, very slow sipper and that ABV will sneak up on you. One of the best beers I've had and well worth every penny.

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%

Thank you to FW crew for making this available at Celebrator

A - Poured a deep, dark brown with one finger of chocolate head and dissipated fast.

S/T - Anise, coffee, bourbon, light vanilla and chocolate.

M - Very well balanced with a light note of alcohol. Very rich and complex.

D - I wish I would have stayed and had several samples!

4.83/5  rDev +10%

A. Poured in to a goblet. Poured like the midnight sky with a slight brown hue, minimal head, small amount of lacing.

S. Strong roasted malts, alcohol oak coffee.

T. This is complex. Tobacco, bourbon, oak, caramel, vanilla, coffee.

M. The first impression is a warmer from the alcohol. fills the pallet with a deep vanilla oak and molasses notes. Amazing

O. This is an amazing beer, I wish I had gotten 2 so I could hang on to another till the next one comes out.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

This is a fantastic beer! How do you blend and get these type of results?
Just in the aroma there is so much going on...vanilla, caramel, coffee, chocolate ,oak, fruit and bourbon....maybe even a tad of pepper. Deeply complex nose and taste. The change in aroma and taste just going from cellar temp to room temp is amazing. There is a little bit of a booze bite. I expect that will smooth out in time. Mouthfeel is creamy. This easy drinking sipper is one to share.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Served at 50 degrees into a snifter.

Relatively black in color with some hints of dark brown licorice coloring and some very dark purple ruby highlights. Head is pretty thin after a quick pour, got maybe 1 finger width out of it. Relatively off-white with some mild shades of tan. Small traces of lacing stick around.

The aroma just wafts out of the bottle after you open it. Vanilla and bourbon are most dominant, but there's some cherry underneath along with some alcoholic spice and even some leather and licorice.

The first thing I detect on my tongue has got to be the vanilla, followed by caramel covered cherries and dark molasses. Bourbon comes shortly after the sweetness, creating a nice counter balance before it gets too out of hand. There's more depth in this bourbon flavor than something like Bourbon County Stout. I detect smoke, leather, licorice, and more vanilla. Even some chocolate way underneath and a bit of figs in the back end of things. Tobacco leaves and some mild breadiness wrap things up into a tasty alcoholic finish.

Really nicely done mouthfeel as well, it's smooth and velvety but has some bulkyness to it that is awesome to chew.

It doesn't hide the alcohol that much but that's not a bad thing. The finish is boozy, but also tasty and doesn't detract if you're sipping. Very enjoyable, never gets cloying, easy to pick out new flavors as it warms. A real champ of a blend and one of the best beers I've ever had. Can't wait for Thirteen!

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

01/17/09- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle in a commemorative box with a piece of paper describing the beer and what went into the making of the beer. Later 2008 release poured into a wine style glass.

Appearance- Copper-caramel colored pour. Slight 1/4 inch head upon pour, quickly dissipates. Lacing is spotty and rather sparse, but wasn't expecting much anyway. Pretty much the norm. Not much to fault.

Smell- Rich nose of lots of stuff. Vanilla, butterscotch (in a good way), brandy, bourbon, oak barrels, wine-like aromas, dirt, caramel...you name it, it's in there. I would call this a dead on highly aromatic English Barleywine if you had asked me.

Taste- Again, lots of flavor melded together. Alcohol is noted, but not as much as one would think. Feels and tastes like a 16-20% abv beer, but is actually only a 12%. Thick and viscous. Caramely and sugary. Brandied dark fruits and some rich milk chocolate. Vanilla intertwinded throughout. Mild hoppy burn during consumption.

Mouthfeel- More carbonation than I was expecting. Thick and chewy, fairly smooth though. Hoppy lasting aftertaste as well as a caramel tongue coating.

Drinkability- Had to keep reminding myself this was NOT an English Barleywine and was a Strong Ale. Therefore, it's about the most perfect tasting Strong Ale I have had. I think it's going to improve also when the hops burn off a bit and the carbonation lessens. This is the first beer I have had that costs $20 and was worth every penny.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to bring & his casual "Hey, found an extra bottle of Firestone XII, want me to throw that in the box too?" this fall. Ummm, well, yeah, I guess that would be OK. This can't possibly live up to the hype.

Pours very dark with only the faintest amber tinge in the bottom of the glass; little head even with a hard pour. Smell is the first hint of what's too come: divine. Smells like an RIS. Rich, chocolatey, barrel. Now I'm getting tingly in anticipation.

Ungh. Wow. I retract the hype comment. Firestone XII is first & foremost about the barrel, but the barrel isn't the only trick pony in the center ring. Bourbon is there up front, but it's tempered by the wood & challenged to a duel by the intense dark malts. They bring with them a plate of mild chocolate (Kisses!), slices of bloody dark fruit, soaked in a base of alcohol-cum-vanilla. The blending of the tastes is absolutely masterful. Everything plays off of everything else & makes all its co-ingredients taste better than they do by themselves.

This brew is creamy, full, rich beyond belief in the mouth, & has been aged to the point (about a year?) where the alcohol, which I've read can be distracting, is definitely a key grip & not in the spotlight. A sipper, sure. But I'd love to do three ounce tasters of this all night.

Freaking fantastic beer. Not only unique, but a tribute to what a brewer can do with barrels that doesn't involve overpowering the base beer - which in this case would have been a shame.

Magnificent.

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

The head nearly flows over the top of the glass and stands at a full two inches. A toasty, bready light brown toned head recedes slowly leaving scattered lace. Body is a jet black stout like darkness. Nose has attractive up front bourbon and zesty, spunky malt character along with spicy alcohol notes. Enters the mouth just stunning, with smooth mellow bourbon and malt filling richness. Big sweet bready malts run with vanilla, carmel and chocolate. 12% alcohol is very well balanced by the brew. There is a slight background hop character that keeps this beer from being to sweet. Amazing complexity. Mouthfeel is sweet, rich and slightly thick. Lovely drinkability as an all night sipper. I wish I had a cellar full of these.

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

a: DARK, opaque. There is a little foam.

s: Beautiful nose. It smells sweet and rich with hints of coffee, caramel. Can also smell the floral scent of hops. Alcohol comes up slightly.

t: Delicious. Malt and caramel up front, smooth and mild taste of espresso, hoppy and coffee like bitterness to counter the sweetness. Alcohol also helps with the balance. At 12 percent, I would expect it to have a stronger presence, but it isn't over bearing. I am in the early stages of developing my palate. I just have to make it clear that this stuff is delicious.

m: like the viscosity, a little syrupy, leaving a stickiness on the class and my lips. I feel the warming effect of the alcohol on my tongue. So much going on! My tongue is being stimulated by the sweetness, the bitterness, the alcohol, the full bodied coating of my entire tongue and mouth . . . wows. WOWS.

d: sharing a 22 oz bottle with my girlfriend. I could have handled it by myself. At that point, I don't think I would need anymore because of the abv.

4.79/5  rDev +9.1%

Dirty dusty opaque brown with minute head really just a small topper.

Amazing nose, sweet toast vanilla, charred oak, chocolate, black mission fig, burnt caramel, roasted marshmallow.sweet toffee, raisin and prune. Very very wonderful.

Christ the flavor follows the smell to a tea. Amazingly complex but light and delicate enough to sip on all night. Very elegant, a bit of esidual sugar on the finish, toast vanilla riddled with toffee, and dates, with charred oak and milk chocolate. Prune and rasins. Creamy, but not overly thick with perfect carbonation. Fabulous!

4.79/5  rDev +9.1%

Review #500! Poured into a brandy snifter. Out of the bottle it's a maple syrup color but in the glass it sits a complete opaque black. An ecru head tries to form through the dense liquid but manages only about a half finger of height.

Aroma features all the great qualities of a fine bourbon but with none of the alcohol sharpness. Chocolate drizzled on oak and peat, with sumptuous vanilla and a raisiny fruitiness, even hazelnuts.

Flavor seems to morph with each sip. First I got a really portlike Utopias character, then I got a nice roastiness, and now it seems to be sweet bourbon and wood. Similar notes as the aroma, and I'm also getting a slight candied citrus note, which may be the only trace of hoppiness here. Brown sugar, smoke, molasses. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is a touch under thick, which lends a nice drinkability. Carbonation is lowish but there's nothing wrong with that, considering this beer is almost closer to bourbon than beer anyway. Finish is surprisingly clean. Wonderful warming sensation from the high but well-hidden alcohol makes this just perfect for cold weather and winter in general. Top notch beer.

4.79/5  rDev +9.1%

Cracked this as my New years 2009 beer.

Appearance: Black, not much head, super thick motor oil. Very inviting. Thin brown grid of lacing as the the glass slowly empties.

Smell: amazing bright chocolate, coffee, tobacco, bourbon sweet scent.

Taste: I had the Eleven and Twelve two nights before with BrewbakerE side by side. IMO the Twelve is a better beer. Taste is amazing balance of the chocolate, coffee and bourbon flavors is top notch. The 12% is there but almost invisible to me, reminds me of BCS.

Mouthfeel: I split a bottle with some stranger Brian from Oregon that was into beer at this party I went to. No one else was into it so half of a 22oz was PURE HEAVEN. Let it warm up to room temp and it was awesome. Coats the palate and complex flavors linger for a long time. Would be great with a nice cigar or some chocolate bourbon balls that a co-worker of mine makes.

Drinkability: I liked this one very much and could drink a bottle once a week. It will stay in my top ten greatest beers for a long time! Thanks Matt for making such great beer!

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I tasted this as part of a flight at an epic bottle share. The review is from my notes, based on at least 1 ounce and at most 2 ounce pours. In most instances this would be an insignificant sample size but considering the fact that I could quite possibly never even see this beer again, well, I couldn’t pass it up. [This is my standard intro to my tasting notes from the series.]

This pours a stout-black with some foam. For the age it appears to have not suffered in the least. I found a great aroma on it with some coffee roast and dark chocolates, with a touch of vanilla buried underneath. Great flavor, with a dark chocolate and some coffee balanced by a hint of white oak, tobacco leaf and vanilla. A pinch of boozy heat reminds you of its strength. Tasty and no I’m not going to even try to rank them.

Firestone 12 - Anniversary Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.