Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Velvet Merlin Oatmeal StoutVelvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Availability: Fall

A decadent oatmeal stout. Velvet Merlin offers robust cocoa and espresso aromas with subtle American hop nuances. Rich dark chocolate and roasted coffee flavor with a creamy mouth feel and wonderfully dry finish create the perfect balance in this full-bodied stout. Ideal for sipping in the winter months or at the end of a meal.

Original name was "Velvet Merkin", but name was changed when it began to be bottled in 2010.

Added by largadeer on 11-13-2008

Ratings: 3,080 |  Reviews: 696
3.81/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev -2%

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.99/5  rDev +0.3%

4.83/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite "oatmeals"!

4.76/5  rDev +19.6%

3.61/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.24/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was poured into a pint glass. The appearance was a nice dark brown close to black color with a thin semi-annual head that dissipated within about a good thirty seconds. Light lacing traced around the glass. The smell had a dark chocolate overcoating a deep dark grain (oatmeal I’m suspecting). The taste was mainly roasty sweet chocolate with a delicate yet sharp bitter coffee to balance. Light chocolate aftertaste amplifies a dry silky finish. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with a decent sessionability about it. The carbonation seemed to be appropriate for the style and it was good to me. Overall, this was a wonderful oatmeal stout by Firestone Walker.

3.47/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

4.31/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.99/5  rDev +0.3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.93/5  rDev +23.9%

Let me tell you a tale. Yes a tale of the Velvet Merlin. Four years ago when I was a wee lad (yes slightly underage). I stumbled across a frightened and alone sixer in our village Albertsons of Irvine. I kindfully took this young sixer under my wing and soon after my elder acquaintances bartered with the cashier. Once full ownership was established we scurried back to the nest and po'd up into ice cold frozen pints. Popping the top was like removing the sword from the stone and everything that followed was nothing but royalty.

The medium pour left me with a perfectly decapitated tan head of roughly an inch.

Ahhhh the aromatherapy of chocolate, coffee, and overall crispness really woke the senses.

And the taste! Yes the taste! It was like our home became a tent next to the fire and my balls finally dropped.

But the feel! Yes the feel was smooth yet exquisitely balanced with carbonation!

But alas, the young sixer was no more after withstanding a whole day. And the local Albertsons had no more to replenish my newfound obsession.
Four winters past and I have told the tale of the legendary sixer a thousand some odd times, but never remembered the true name nor brewery. The beer was nothing but a myth.

UNTIL! I stumbled into a Bevmo half dead and ready to give up the grueling internal battle of even believing such a beer ever existed... I had found her.

Once again a lone, frightened little sixer just as I remembered. As soon as I purchased her, the tag was removed from the fridge and no more remained in its place. I had a frozen glass ready for me at home and I indulged. I was scared I would be dissatisfied and disappointed... but It was everything I ever thought it was. The perfect beer. And so I made this account and wrote this here tale. The tale of the Velvet Merlin.

In all seriousness this is a great beer. Buy it if you see it. But if I see you buying it, I will challenge you to a duel for it.

8 out 5 overall

4.1/5  rDev +3%

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Super dark brown. Thin, creamy head.
Very little aroma, but hints of malt, char, and metal.
Tastes dark, roasty, and a little charred. Some bitterness at the end. A little woody. Not super robust or complex, but still quite good.
The smoothness is the star. Great level of smoothness from the oats. Not too heavy.

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.82/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.