Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Velvet Merlin Oatmeal StoutVelvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Availability: Fall

A decadent oatmeal stout. Velvet Merlin offers robust cocoa and espresso aromas with subtle American hop nuances. Rich dark chocolate and roasted coffee flavor with a creamy mouth feel and wonderfully dry finish create the perfect balance in this full-bodied stout. Ideal for sipping in the winter months or at the end of a meal.

Original name was "Velvet Merkin", but name was changed when it began to be bottled in 2010.

Added by largadeer on 11-13-2008

Ratings: 3,070 |  Reviews: 694
4.31/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.99/5  rDev +0.3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.93/5  rDev +23.9%

Let me tell you a tale. Yes a tale of the Velvet Merlin. Four years ago when I was a wee lad (yes slightly underage). I stumbled across a frightened and alone sixer in our village Albertsons of Irvine. I kindfully took this young sixer under my wing and soon after my elder acquaintances bartered with the cashier. Once full ownership was established we scurried back to the nest and po'd up into ice cold frozen pints. Popping the top was like removing the sword from the stone and everything that followed was nothing but royalty.

The medium pour left me with a perfectly decapitated tan head of roughly an inch.

Ahhhh the aromatherapy of chocolate, coffee, and overall crispness really woke the senses.

And the taste! Yes the taste! It was like our home became a tent next to the fire and my balls finally dropped.

But the feel! Yes the feel was smooth yet exquisitely balanced with carbonation!

But alas, the young sixer was no more after withstanding a whole day. And the local Albertsons had no more to replenish my newfound obsession.
Four winters past and I have told the tale of the legendary sixer a thousand some odd times, but never remembered the true name nor brewery. The beer was nothing but a myth.

UNTIL! I stumbled into a Bevmo half dead and ready to give up the grueling internal battle of even believing such a beer ever existed... I had found her.

Once again a lone, frightened little sixer just as I remembered. As soon as I purchased her, the tag was removed from the fridge and no more remained in its place. I had a frozen glass ready for me at home and I indulged. I was scared I would be dissatisfied and disappointed... but It was everything I ever thought it was. The perfect beer. And so I made this account and wrote this here tale. The tale of the Velvet Merlin.

In all seriousness this is a great beer. Buy it if you see it. But if I see you buying it, I will challenge you to a duel for it.

8 out 5 overall

4.1/5  rDev +3%

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Super dark brown. Thin, creamy head.
Very little aroma, but hints of malt, char, and metal.
Tastes dark, roasty, and a little charred. Some bitterness at the end. A little woody. Not super robust or complex, but still quite good.
The smoothness is the star. Great level of smoothness from the oats. Not too heavy.

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.82/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev -1%

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Another bottle bites the dust in today's attempt to eradicate single-O Porters, Stouts & Old Ales from the insidious Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody.

I find revisionist history to be laughable & here is a stark example: "Original name was 'Velvet Merkin', but name was changed when it began to be bottled in 2010." Ha ha, horses**t! They thought that they were being clever/funny until the ATF did their homework & realized that it referred to a (ahem!) carpet used by (ahem, again!) prostitutes during the Middle Ages. You may have heard the sobriquet "Beaver" applied to Venus' Triangle? Some high-end merkins were fashioned from beaver pelts. Why was this important? We, as humans, had no understanding of vermin vs. vectors during the Plague Era, but a connection was made between fur & body hair (sort of correctly, think crabs) & so clean-shaven was the order of the day. For the hirsute-aficionados, the merkin was created to satiate their desires. Once the ATF realized what they had approved, they spanked Firestone Walker's collective pee-pee & made them make an amendment.

Onwards! I Pop!ped the cap to great applause, forcing me to stop & take a bow before continuing. How bow dah? Cash me owside. It was a nice, fresh bottle, so there was nothing standing between me an a heavy-handed pour except fear itself. I decided to shoot the works & go for the gusto, pouring nearly the entire contents into my glass before a pseudo-cascade took ahold & I had to back off lest I clean up a mess later. It settled into two-pus fingers of dense, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with great retention. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with garnet highlights & NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of milk chocolate and a fresh-baked breadiness. Mouthfeel was full, smooth & creamy, almost like an N2 pour. The taste was like a combination of milk chocolate, coffee and light cream. Man, this was a smoooooth, easy-drinking stout! So much so that I drained off half of it without even an afterthought. Finish was semi-sweet, bordering on semi-dry, but the chocolaty presence held things in check. It was a very pleasant addition to the day.

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

L: Pitch black, with a foamy beige head. Retention is minimal. A thin ring remains that leaves some spotty lacing.

S: Grainy, musty oats; milk chocolate candy, burnt toast, cocoa powder, milk, hints of cherries, earth.

F: Cherry and raisins right up front, which quickly glides into milk chocolate, cocoa powder, and almond milk. Then you get dry, musty grains; burnt toast, and metallic earthiness. Finishes lightly dry with lingering essences of chocolate, cherries, and grainy oats.

F: Medium-bodied. Smooth and well-rounded, with medium carbonation.

O: An extremely flavorful stout for under 6%. An excellent display of oats, roasted notes, and fruity esters. A great beer.

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Our first beer on our trip to California! This is a nice overall oatmeal stout. Nothing complex, just nice and drinkable. Enjoyed at the source... Firestone walker Brewery, Paso Robles, CA.

3.77/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.