Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Velvet Merkin | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Velvet MerkinVelvet Merkin
4.29/5
Outstanding
Velvet MerkinVelvet Merkin

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Our decadent Oatmeal Stout lovingly aged in Bourbon barrels. Beautiful chocolate, espresso and vanilla-bourbon aromas hold your nose hostage. Rich dark chocolate truffle, bourbon and espresso create a dangerously smooth and incredibly drinkable barrel aged Oatmeal Stout. Hoarding tendencies may occur.

Added by t0rin0 on 11-20-2008

#580

Ratings: 2,481 |  Reviews: 381

4.52/5  rDev +5.4%

4.41/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

11/14/17 From bottle. First chilled blush is an almost black licorice flavor. Let's see how it warms.

Warm, the bittersweet...that's BITTERsweet takes over & the licorice is way in the back. This results in a very complex & memorable taste. If you see it, partake. You'll be glad you did.

01/22/14 From bottle. Silky smoothness and a fine bittersweet chocolate are the first impressions. Enjoyment from first sip to last. It did change character slightly as it warmed from cellar temp to ambient.

The rarity is a distraction. Not your everyday quaff by any means, but knowing it can be found for that certain occasion would enhance the whole idea of knowing it's 'out there'.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

I took my 73 year old uncle Eddy to a doctors appointment in providence RI. It was a routine check up that told us everything was fine. SWEET. After learning this I axed him if he would enjoy a pint with me. His response was "hell yah". Since I was in Providence I took him to Julian's. A place that is known for it's draft selection. When I sat at the bar I noticed A Firestone Walker tap I hadn't seen before. I ordered one because that brewery has not let me down before. The Velvet Merkin was placed in front of me. Its blackness alone was intoxicating. The head was a thick brownish tan that stayed until the end. All I could smell was whiskey. This beer was everything I could hope for in a bourbon barrel stout. The vanilla was just right so it actually tasted like beer. the finish was to good to be true. I could have drank 10 of them but I had to drive my uncle home. Needless to say I enjoyed this fine brew to the fullest.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

Velvet Merkin from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.29 out of 5 with 2,481 ratings