Velvet Merkin | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Velvet MerkinVelvet Merkin

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Our decadent Oatmeal Stout lovingly aged in Bourbon barrels. Beautiful chocolate, espresso and vanilla-bourbon aromas hold your nose hostage. Rich dark chocolate truffle, bourbon and espresso create a dangerously smooth and incredibly drinkable barrel aged Oatmeal Stout. Hoarding tendencies may occur.

Added by t0rin0 on 11-20-2008

Reviews: 351 | Ratings: 2,356
3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into tulip glass. Black with dark head which dissipates quickly. Smell is of Vanilla, Carmel, coffee and bourbon.Taste is smooth almost too smooth, I'm looking for some finish to it, but it's not there, it kind of dies in my mouth. Lite carbonation and mouth feel is Lite for an Oatmeal stout. Taste is mild, Bourbon is there but the Bourbon aging seems to have eclipsed the other flavors.Over all I think I like the Velvet Merlin better.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

LOOK: 2015 vintage, poured slightly below room temp (where I usually like my darker beers) into a squat tulip glass. Foams very nicely without threatening to get out of control but building pleasantly with its dark cinnamon color and deep brown liquid. The burnt khaki froth recedes and ultimately disappears completely within a couple of minutes, which is a little disappointing.

AROMA: The last beer I had before this I finally realized I wasn't a bourbon barrel beer fan, so I was moderately skeptical about this, but I had a similar experience to others in that the barrel presence is mild at best. Unlike most other drinkers who found that a let down, it made the beer more enjoyable for me, letting more of that malty, bready smell come through and make it far more balanced for the style. It's a bit lighter on the coffee than I expected or like, and almost no cacao.

FEEL: It's more watery than I expected and than I think it should be. Not so much as to be off-putting, but enough to make it seem like a weakness for a BA oatmeal stout.

TASTE: The taste doesn't depart much from the nose -- very light on the bourbon (which, again, I like), but also generally light on the other flavors. It's definitely nicely balanced, and although the flavors are I think too low key, the balance makes it quite remarkable and impressive, just not as astonishing as, say, a Breakfast Stout kind of animal.

*** 2nd POUR***
Finishing off the bottle the day after. The pour was about the same but the head, even though it died to a thin layer, stuck around permanently resulting in some really nice, copious lacing, making the drink a bit creamier. The net result isn't much, but it's certainly tastier this way. Not sure why there's such a difference in the head/lacing retention between the first & second pour, but I definitely prefer the 2nd.

3.76/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the Old Toad in Rochester, NY. 8 oz pour. After drinking this, this will be a hard review.

Pours a very dark black, opaque, with a tiny head, and no lacing.

Smells like cookie dough, toasted oats, chocolate, and the slightest hint of bourbon.

Interesting tastes here, both negative and positive. All of the tastes I'm getting are good. This is one of the most cookie dough forward beers I've ever had, just tons of that flavor. I get cookie dough flavors out of a lot (mostly barrel-aged) stouts, but this one takes the cake/cookie. There's a good amount of toasted oats as well, a tiny bit of bourbon, some oak, and some chocolate. The problem is, however, other than the cookie dough, the flavors are kind of muted. For some styles, laid back flavors are a plus- but this is a barrel-aged stout. I expect a bit more here. Just a little bit too watery, unfortunately.

This is light to medium bodied, honestly too thin for the style. I don't need it to be motor oil, but I need it to be substantial enough. Low carbonation, very drinkable.

A beer with a lot of highs and lows. Overall good, but not something I'm going to hardcore crave again.

3.76/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Letdown, my children. Letdown like when they gave the MVP to Braun although he was clearly juicing.

It's aite like my baby mama in her Sunday goodies, but it lacks in taste and mouthfeel. A bit (and Raul means A BIT) sour, and too thin. Not Raul "thin" (it's genetics, my children) but thin enough that Raul ain't feelin' it like Yasiel Puig home run trotting a triple.

Feelin' it, but not feeelin' it.

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got on trade! 22oz bomber served at cellar temperature in a challis

A- Opens well and pours a light, airy head that films out within 2mins. Very dark brown colour

S- Not a lot here. Not even bourbon. More heat than anything else

T- Nice bourbon but subdued. Not very stout like. Weak body and depth. Kind of disappointing. Missing a lot to be good.

M- Dry and watery. Not good for a stout of this league

O- Not so good. Will not buy ever. Will only order if it's best on the menu so imagine I will not be having this one again. Some may like it though as it is mild and watery

Food Pairing

This ok brew went well with........ Roast beef. The roast beef will be the star of the show though!

Enjoy

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First bottling. Poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Little over two fingers of a tan, tight bubbled head. Black with a hint of dark red at the bottom of the glass. Sticky alcohol legs.

Smell: Coffee, roasted notes, oak, faint alcohol, vague dark fruit, bakers chocolate, bourbon is subtle.

Taste: Milk chocolate, vanilla bean, oak, smoke, char, bourbon.

Mouthfeel: On the full side of medium. Super fine carbonation feels like nitro.

Overall: On the one hand I appreciate that Firestone is offering us a barrel aged beer at a relatively low ABV. Instead of drinking a beer exploding with flavor enhanced by the barrel, Velvet Merkin puts the barrel center stage. It's like licking the inside of a bourbon barrel, which is awesome. On the other hand the lower ABV results in a mouthfeel that leaves something to be desired and a lack of robust stout character, which is smothered by the barrel.

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2015 Vintage
Pours a dark mahogany color with a tan head smells of vanilla and coffee with roasted malts and bourbon , taste follows the nose vanilla and espresso bean with sweet chocolate malts followed with a small amount of bourbon, mouthfeel is smooth and silky with medium carbonation, VM is my least favorite of the Proprietors series the BA is really thin on this, vanilla and espresso stand out and the barrel is in the background .

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottle of Batch 001, thanks to Shaun for bringing this bottle over. And thanks to Dustin who hooked him up. Poured into a Three Floyds' teku glass today, 10/15/2013.

Review #241.

Pours a pitch black body, with a bubbly and not particularly thick or foamy off-white head that dissipates quickly. Looks like a stout to me. Nothing weird abut it.

Smells interesting, just hints of sweet bourbon and coconut, a bit of the underlying chocolate and toffee but not a whole lot else. No vanilla. But it reminds me quite a bit of Parabola but everything is muted.

We drank this as the first stout of the night so I think my palate is judging this beer fairly. It's mostly hints of sweet bourbon and coconut. I really don't get a whole lot of the typical oatmeal stout flavour profiles- no chocolate, vanilla, coffee, umami. In the end this beer feels like its meant to deliver a muted, watered down bourbon barrel experience.

Creamy, rich, full-bodied stout. Good carbonation. Dangerously drinkable and smooth.

Either my bourbon barrel stout palate is ruined after drinking CW Black Gold and Sixteen last Saturday, or this beer is just missing a lot of things. It's got a much better mouthfeel than Parabola does, but its lacking any kind of intensity. In the end I felt it is a drinkable, smooth oatmeal stout that lost a lot of whatever the base beer had to offer after spending time in barrels.

3.81/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

April 4, 2016

22 oz. bomber, snifter

A – Very deep brown, nearing light black, with high clarity. A huge light tan foam stand erupts, about two inches high, and takes a while to settle, leaving a thin creamy layer atop the beer. The pour is not heavy, though not light; just normal for an oatmeal stout.

S – Low chocolate, bread crust, a touch of sweet vanilla. Some slightly herbal and fruity notes, presumably from the hops and maybe a bit of barrel character. Overall, very light for a barrel aged stout of any variety.

T – Milky, but not sweet, chocolate, with a bit of toffee in the background. Some low herbal notes and a touch of fruit like a raisin or a cherry pit, barely noticeable. Minor vanilla notes, the only hint that this was barrel aged. A hint of bitterness on the back end. Very balanced profile, but not particularly strong in any area.

M – Very smooth, a bit creamy, just a touch of a warm note from the alcohol / barrel-aging. Feels a bit thicker than it actually is, likely from the use of the oats. Not particularly viscous or heavy though. Light bitterness on the back end. Very balanced. It actually lacks some of the smooth silky feel in the regular version (Velvet Merlin).

O – For the price point involved and the work of putting a beer in a barrel to age it, this seems a bit reserved. I think the oatmeal stout is better pre-barrel, a la Velvet Merlin, and there’s not a lot of barrel character that I’m picking up here, other than the light vanilla. I would drink it again, because it’s a good beer, but I wouldn’t pay as much as I did for another bottle. Rarely does price point come into play on my evaluations, but at some point there’s definitely a higher expectation because of it.

3.82/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a dark chocolate brown color, near black. The beer has a short tan head that settles into a light ring.

The aroma is sweet from the bourbon. Smooth oatmeal stout notes. Nice under current of caramel and vanilla. The aroma is not super strong but it is also not overpoweringly boozy.

The taste is of a smooth oatmeal stout with some milk chocolate notes and a smidge of roasted bitterness. The bourbon is light and bring caramel and vanilla to the table. Some wood notes in the end.

The feel is light with fizzy carbonation. Sweet on the palate overall but finishes quite dry. Slightly sticky in the finish.

Some nice flavors but the stout seems to fall a little short. It is too dry for my liking and could use a touch more bourbon.

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

L- black. Not much head or lacing.

S- not a lot of aroma. A little bourbon heat.

T- smooth with some roasted malt and bourbon. Pleasant, but not that interesting.

F- disappointing. Thin, not nearly as rich as the better ones I've had. Dry.

O- not awful, but uninspiring. I'd buy it if it sat on shelves, but it's not worth a chase.

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2014 Vintage

Appearance: A massive mocha head forms on top of the dark chocolate colored liquid; nice retention and an interesting pattern of lace

Smell: Brown bread, chocolate and caramel, with hints of coconut, vanilla, oak and Bourbon

Taste: Chocolate and brown bread, up front, with the caramel, vanilla and coconut tones developing somewhat; the Bourbon appears in the finish, almost as an afterthought

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; lacks the creamy mouthfeel I would expect from the oatmeal

Overall: I knew with an 8.5% ABV that this wasn't going to be a big stout but I was surprised at it, nevertheless; it's a decent beer but it lacked the depth of flavor and the mouthfeel I would expect from a beer so highly rated, let alone from a brewery that has always impressed me greatly

Thanks, fthegiants, for the opportunity

On tap at Far Bar in Little Tokyo - snifter

A: Really lovely jet black color, fine hints of caramel brown in the light. Big thick coffee colored head, at least 2 fingers, really sexy looking stout.

S: Bourbon jumps out, but is a little weaker than I expected. Lots of oats and toasty grains, chocolate and mild vanilla with a faint bit of wood. It's not as clean and balanced as I thought, but it's still a pleasant aroma.

T: The oats and the bourbon weren't really doing it for me. Merlin is pretty heavy on the oats and toasty grains and the bourbon just kinda sat there and didn't compliment it at all. It was a bit disjointed, lots of bitter coffee and chocolates in the stout with a melange of oak, vanilla and bourbon kind of scattered around.

M: Nice and full bodied, not to thick and chewy and not too easy either. Great to sip or get a nice big gulp.

O: This was a bit disjointed for me, lots of strong elements and flavors, just not really working in harmony, maybe it needed more age, maybe it had too much age. Maybe the bourbon and oats just didn't mesh.

3.84/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A - Black like night, with a head that dissapates quickly. It pours beautifly.

S- smells of oak and bourbon and roasted malt. Super aromatic

T- I was underwhelmed. For an oatmeal stout, it wasn't as creamy as I had hoped, and it was a little too astringent. Maybe a little over carbed or too much hop? Either way, I didn't feel the body held up very well. Had a "cola" flavor that I couldn't shake. The oak and bourbon came through nicely.

M - See Above. I thought it was a little too thin. Its only 8.5%, but I expected a little more body and creaminess from an oatmeal stout.

O - I enjoyed it. I wouldn't buy it again though. FW does some great stuff, but this wasn't a must have for me. Still, it's better than so many things out there.

3.84/5  rDev -9.4%

Was excited to pick one of these up.

Appearance: Pours a thin-ish bodied dark brown color with about 1" of khaki colored head. Retention is good, and lacing is nice as well. Pretty nice looking beer, just a bit thin for the style.

Smell: Dusty cocoa and bitter dark chocolate scents come to mind immediately. Underneath that, a bit of barrel shows as well. A bit of woodiness, a bit of vanilla, and even less of a hint of bourbon. Nothing too crazy or overbearing, just very nice balance.

Taste: Tastes akin to a brownie in many ways. Cocoa and milk chocolate sweetness, with dark chocolate and perhaps a bit of coffee bitterness. Also, something that I did not catch on the nose in a hint of dark fruits. Again, the barrel is understated, with hints of barrel, vanilla and bourbon.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Mouthfeel is really my only gripe. Can't really describe it any other way than thin, with pretty high carbonation. I think this beer gets exponentially better with a bigger body. Overall, a really enjoyable beer that does not drink near its 8.5% ABV. Nice balanced flavors, with an appropriate amount of barrel that complements the beer nicely. Again, a heavier body would really bump my review score on this, but as is, a pretty nice beer that is certainly worth a try.

3.86/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Poured into a snifter to reveal a blackened color with cola brown edging when held to light. The head is light tan and peaks at about a half a finger in width, then quickly dies down to form a webbing of surface suds and a thin ring around the edge. Lacing is small and spotty with decent stick.

Smell - At first crack I get hints of Black roast, chocolate and notes of deep, rich caramel. I could live off that caramel. As the brew warms hints of vanilla and bourbon sweetness begin to peek through, then strengthen. Strong toffee notes once the beer is fairly warmed.

Taste - Lighter in flavor than what the nose leads on. Touches on toffee, chocolate, bourbon and vanilla. Sweet with hints of heat. Light roastiness. Flavor nearly falls off the map in the finish, but leaves ghostly traces of chocolate and bourbon in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Eh. Pretty thin, even for a barrel-aged brew. Low carbonation. A bit watery in the finish. Easily the weakest aspect of the brew.

Overall - Had this on tap last year and thought it was fairly disappointing. I'm not sure if this batch is any better or it's that my expectations aren't as high, but I'm not quite as down on it this time around, though that doesn't mean I'm still not underwhelmed. The aroma is amazing, but unfortunately the flavor and body don't live up to expectations. At $15 per bottle, this is one Firestone BA brew that I won't be buying a 2nd bottle of which to age. In fact I'm not even sure what aging could possibly do for this beer. There simply isn't enough here.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle courtesy of BeerHatesRob pours a rich black color with a frothy tan head. Nice lacing and decent retention.

Nose is half chocolate milkshake and half roasty stout. Very nice.

Taste shows some bold barrel character to go along with a lactose-y sweet milk stout. Its smooth and creamy but I could actually use a little more chocolate and malt depth. Its not quite as good as I was hoping, the barrel seems to overpower the malt character of the beer.

3.86/5  rDev -9%

Super excited to try this! Thanks to Coirm for the bottle.

Appearance is pretty much black. A moderately thick coffee-colored head kicks up on the pour, but fades to a film and a frothy ring around the glass almost immediately.

Aroma is coffee, chocolate syrup, with just the faintest hint of vanilla. Bourbon and oaky notes aren't present at first, but begin to show up as the beer warms, along with just a touch of alcohol heat in there. It's actually kind of surprising that they got any alcohol heat to show up, considering the relatively low ABV, but I'm happy they figured out a way! All the flavors are working together really nicely, and it smells like it'll be right up my alley!

Taste is much the same, incorporating chocolate, coffee, oak, and bourbon notes all into one delicious whole. Nice bit of lactic tartness as well. As with the nose, there's a nice feeling of alcohol warmth at its relatively modest 8.5% ABV.

Mouthfeel is moderately thick, but I think could have stood to be a little thicker. Lots of carbonation. Moderately dry.

Overall, a really nice, smooth, and relatively easy-drinking beer. This is positively sessionable as far as barrel-aged beers go! Really well-done.

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%

Had this at a Firestone Walker tasting at Blind Lady over the weekend. It is not retired and there is a difference between the Merlin and the Merkin. Merlin is not barrel aged and is available in bottles. Merkin is BAed and is not available in bottle.

A - No head, dark, almost black, with amber notes.

S - cocoa, roasted malt, light wood.

T - Chocolate chip cookies, burnt coffee, bitter end.

M - Medium to heavy body, heavy bitter, slightly chaulky finish.

D - Though low ABV, flavors are huge palate killers and I would tire fast.

3.87/5  rDev -8.7%

Root beer brown, pale tan foamy head.
Mild, clean smell. Not intense or stout-y.
Sweet malty flavor, some cocoa.
Moderate mouthfeel, foamy effervescence.
Sweet licorice on the finish.
Overall: this is a weird beer. Do not buy again.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

On-tap at Acre for Faux-BAB.

Pours black with a lingering off-white head.

Aroma is some bourbon and wood notes, malty with some roastyness. The base oatmeal stout is evident, but leans toward a neutral malty smell that doesn't add much.

Upfront taste is bourbon, wood, roasted malts, a little chocolate, and a slight bitterness. Finish is more barrel-forward with bourbon, wood, and vanilla mixing with a light bitter chocolate flavor. Lingering bourbon and roasted malts.

Medium body and creamy with low to medium carbonation.

Pretty good. The base oatmeal stout still shines through the barrel aging treatment. Nice to see they didn't overpower the original beer's flavors.

5/23/2012

3.89/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 2015 vintage bottle ($18.99, I believe....) into a tulip glass:

Appearance: pours a dark brown, but not quite black color, with a moderately large mocha head. Head dissipates somewhat quickly, leaving spotty lacing. Beer isn't quite opaque, and shows surprisingly translucency when swirled.

Aroma: definitely disappointed in this regard. I was hoping for the full, potent bourbon and chocolate aromas present in Parabola, but instead got muted malt and some lactose. I didn't detect much vanilla or chocolate, perhaps a tiny bit.

Taste: again, I was hoping for a little more potency. It started with light toffee and caramel notes, then some mild bourbon on the finish. I missed the chocolate and coffee completely, and the bourbon was definitely more subdued than I'd wanted. Its "incredibly drinkable," as stated in the description, but not in a good way in my opinion.

Feel: moderately thick and creamy, but finishes relatively thin. I'd like a little more body.

Overall: it's a solid oatmeal stout, but for $20 after taxes, I'll go with something a little more potent and flavorful.

3.89/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark chocolate color with small light brown head. Aroma is chocolate, oatmeal, bourbon and a touch of vanilla. Flavor follows the nose but is pretty dry. Has bourbon on the back end. Mouthfeel is a little thin and it's just all around a dry finish. This isn't bad it just too dry for me. Nice flavors going on but not pronounced enough. Solid stuff but could be better.

3.9/5  rDev -8%

This review probably isn't going to be a fair one. I made the mistake of trying this beer AFTER trying the 17th and 18th Anniversary Ale. And I had decided after drinking the 18th Anniversary, that that was probably the best beer of the almost 550 different beers that I had tried.

3.9/5  rDev -8%

Pours a dark, copper tinted black, modest cap of brown froth, gone quickly, spotty bubbling. First whiff was solid, but not as bold as expected... light charachter from the burbon and oak blend with light roasted malt, faint creamy sweetness, minimal notes of cocoa. Taste brings a dry, oaky flavor, bourbon is present but not a star, roasty, a bit of a hop presence, light cream and sugar, minimal cocoa. Medium bodied, not full and creamy like an oatmeal stout, dry. Was anticipating this one immensely and left somewhat disapointed, expected big and bold and i got softer and milder. Still a good beer, just not great.

Velvet Merkin from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.