Double Double Barrel Ale | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double Double Barrel AleDouble Double Barrel Ale
4.29/5
Outstanding
Double Double Barrel AleDouble Double Barrel Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: English Barleywine

Added by HopHead84 on 06-16-2009

#593

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,977 |  Reviews: 339

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

Served from a 650ml bottle into a Smutty Big beer tulip. 2012 vintage. Cellar temp.

Appearance- Clearer amber with quick bubbly off-white head that left no lacing. Looks to be well carbonated.

Smell- Rich caramel, stone fruits, mild booze, oaky vanilla and tobacco. Fairly typical barrel aged barleywine aromas.

Taste- Much of the nose, but oak is quite prevalent by now. Big caramel and cherry and plums, vanilla, tobacco. No booze taste.

Mouthfeel- Highly carbonated which perturbs me slightly. Other than that, Medium-full body, medium heat at the back of the throat, but over all pretty easy to drink. I would like less carbonation.

Overall- A nice BBA Barleywine. Too carbonated but overall, nicely balanced.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2012 bomber into a snifter. Served at fridge temp, allowed to warm ~30 mins.

Appearance: Unexpectedly light; I guess I was expecting something more like §ucaba, but this looks more like unfiltered apple cider. Cloudy reddish brown. Basically nonexistent head.

Smell: Now the smell is a lot more like §ucaba—caramel, vanilla, barrel, whipped cream. Maybe it's just because I've got apple cider in my brain now, but I also pick up a lot of bright apple notes. Smells really delicious.

Taste: Follows the nose. Toffee, some coconut, vanilla. I also get the sweet, slightly tart or bitter apple that I picked up in the aroma. A little alcohol burn, but really in the background compared to fresh barrel-aged offerings.

Feel: Fairly syrupy, but brightly carbonated at the same time. I would actually prefer a little lower carb, thought I guess it fits the slightly brighter, apple-y flavor pretty well.

Overall: Mighty fine brew. Haven't had this fresh, but I'm guessing the age did it well in mellowing out the alcohol presence and letting some of the other flavors come to the fore. Not sure where I'd rank this against FW's other widely-available Proprietor's Vintage beers, but not sure I'd care—it's delicious!

4.42/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Double Double Barrel Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.29 out of 5 with 1,977 ratings