Double Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack
4.33/5
Outstanding
Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009

View: Beers
Ratings: 7,582 |  Reviews: 1,403

4.33/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Bomber bottled 6/24, reviewed 7/29. Poured into a Bell's tulip.

Clear golden-amber, nice head and lacing.

Smell is a lot of nice tropical hops, backed by a substantial sweetness. Alcohol becomes a bit noticeable as it warms.

Taste is rather sweet and reasonably balanced. A clean mix of tropical, citrus and pine hops that meshes with a smooth malt backbone. Some alcohol definitely noticeable on the tail end. Not bitter. This beer is sweet, but not overbearingly so. Definitely more of an East Coast style IPA than a West Coast one, but it's really a good DIPA. Balanced, clean and showcases all of its flavors well.

Medium and sweet on the mouth, without excess carbonation.

I'm really impressed by how smooth and clean this beer is. It's not necessarily the way I like my DIPAs, but this is about as good and drinkable as I could expect a sweeter DIPA to be.

3.82/5  rDev -11.8%

2nd period of the Bruins-Habs game is over...Explain to me why I picked the Briuins to represent the Eastern Conference in the Cup?

The basics: $6.49/bomber (ouch!) and a healthy 9.5% ABV (nice)...

Still fighting off the lingering effects of this weird illness I had...the past few days have been a study in thorat soreness...Please go away mr. infectious disease...much appreciated...

This is an almost surreally clear beer. It seems almost like a solid piece of amber jewelry as opposed to a liquid. Carbonation is on the low side of middling, and the bubbles are slow rising. A relatively average pour saw little head rise, but what there is clings to the glass like glue. I like this, but I'm confused as to why...Maybe it's a Jedi Mind Trick?

Aroma is incredible and infectious...You can smell it across the room and it smells like hop flowers. Not just "hops", but the whole flowers. It's remarkably "fresh" smelling. Instead of graepfruit, I'm actually getting a huge orange peel component, and I like it. This beer is winning me over slowly but surely...I keep not wanting to give in, but I know it will compel me to love it...

Whoa, yum...This is a crazy good beer. It's a hop bomb for sure. It's more like a hop Eruption, and not a volcanic one, but an Eddie Van Halen "Am I really hearing what I think I'm, hearing" Eruption, but with flavor. Initial blast of flavor is overwhelming. Tons of orange peel and grapefruit juice concentrate hit your tongue...This mellows (but only slightly) into a floral middle (still crammed with hops, though), where I get some lavendar and pine nut notes...Finish is super long and very hoppy, in keeping with the Hop atom bomb approach to this beer...Not sure where I sit on this beer - I really want to love it, and I know I'll end up giving in, but right now there are too many question marks...

What I like most: The strangely compelling, yet overwhelming, flavor profile.

What I like least: The price and massive hop profile.

Verdict: You should try it just to experience it...Not like you're committed to buying it again, right?

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A:pours a sharp orange, with a sticky, creamy albeit minimal head, an opaque but not muddy citrus orange color fills the glass
S:pure malt, some subtle notes of citrus and hop bitterness but not a lot
T:rich, malty and sweet but also decently bitter, some citrus like in the nose but not much maybe a hint of tangerine, a touch of honey most of it that is perceptible blends in with the malt
M:a tad syrupy, I don't mean this as a bad thing only to say that it is not overwhelmingly syrupy, kind of filling
O: a solid DIPA, I don't make a habit of buying DIPAs unless I know they are great or have heard something so I don't have a lot of average DIPAs to compare it with. That being said, it is very good, but doesn't do anything new and so with that being said is not particularly memorable, it is very good, but I would not seek it out or go to any great lengths to get it, comparing this to hopslam or snake handler is like comparing different store brand sodas, you may have your preference but you must concede that all in all they are not that significantly different. they may do certain things a tad better than the others but none are so adventurous as to be noticeably different with out a side by side comparison, not bad tho, not bad at all

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.33 out of 5 with 7,582 ratings