Double Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009

Ratings: 7,575 |  Reviews: 1,403

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured to a pint glass

A - Awesome head. Reduced to just covering the ale but beautiful legs on the glass. Great coloring and crystal clear

S- Hits all the right notes. Hop, pine, a hint of citrus. Not in-your-face nose. Soft

T - Freakin solid. Its a little maltier than some other DIPAs I've had. Which is actually a nice departure. Balanced. If your looking for a knock your block of smack of hops, look elsewhere. Would have rated a smidge higher if the ending bitterness didn't linger as long.

M - Outstanding for my tastes. Enough carbonation to tingle the tongue. Dry and not slick at all.

O - Definitely on my list of everyday drinking DIPAs.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Better than I remember. Pineapple! I hopped up version of union jack. Dry finish, pine, tropical fruit. The malt doesn't take over. It's a great balance. This is one of the best easily. I really forgot how well this was.

The taste is solid from start to finish.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Orange golden in color, my pour left no head and limited effervescence. This may be due to my first attempt at using an oversized wine glass. (Pretty sure I need to buy IPA glasses)

S- While sense of smell is clearly my nemesis, I sense floral notes and high alcohol citrus.

T- This DIPA is bringing the bitterness and doesn't seem to go out of its way to cover that with any sweetness. I do sense a little honey flavor without any of the sweetness that you would expect with that. Definitely some citrus going on as well.

M- This has a clean and slightly astringent mouthfeel, not sensing any oiliness. The crispness that was lacking in my glass is present in the mouthfeel, leading me to believe that my pouring/glassware didn't do this ale any favors.

O- I have a stout in the fridge in order to break up the delicious DIPA/IPA streak that I've been on. I am enjoying this ale but it isn't standing out over the others.

Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.