Double Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack
4.33/5
Outstanding
Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009

View: Beers
Ratings: 7,582 |  Reviews: 1,403

4.84/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've had Heady Topper. I like this better. This beer is more balanced than HT. Until you feel it, you have no idea this beer is so strong. The tremendous hop aroma (grapefruit and pine dominate) is balanced perfectly with the light malty foundation and the strong alcohol. This beer leaves you wanting another and another...until you realize just how strong it is. Best beer I've ever had.

4.07/5  rDev -6%

12oz bottle into a snifter.

Pours a slightly hazy deep gold with a very thin white head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring around the top of the beer. Just a few random spots of lacing.

The aroma is probably the best thing about this beer. Very piny and resiny with a bit of dank thrown in. Some orange notes in the form of overripe fruit.

The orange is more prominent in the taste with quite a bit of dankness and pine resin. A touch on the sweet side but bitterness is very high to help balance that out. There is a slight woody note that becomes more prominent as the beer warms and is quite nice.

Overall, a really good IIPA but I would stop short of saying it is amazing. My bottle is over three months old so I really would like to try this fresh. The hops have lost some of their luster.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottled on 08/08/2014 Poured into a tulip glass form a 22oz. bomber.

A- Nice deep golden/light copper color, with two fingers of white head that slowly dissipated, high degree of clarity.

S- Dank pine, tangerine, lime, pineapple, any detectable alcohol is hidden really well by the massive hops.

T- Big pine note first off, then the citrus and pineapple hits, finishing with a not too dry pine note.

M- Heavier side of medium but very drinkable for the ABV.

O- A fantastic DIPA that I can't believe is available year round. Sure we have our share of things in the MidWest, but not a year round DIPA like this. The only year round DIPA offering like this one we get is Hop Stoopid which funny enough reminds me of this one in flavor. I guess if I could criticize this one I'd have to say that it's a bit too bitter for what I desire in a DIPA but I know this is a West Coast beer so I expect it.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- a clear lighter amber with a big creamy white head. Head has great retention and leaves nice lacing.

S-aroma is light pine and floral hops with some subtle caramel notes

T- the taste mirrors the aroma. It is a great blend of the pine hops and light bread and caramel notes from the malt. It's not a big hop bomb, but it has considerable depth.

M- has a great full fulling on the palate but not so heavy. Nice clean finish

O- a great, well-crafted DIPA.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.33 out of 5 with 7,582 ratings