Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Double Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack
4.33/5
Outstanding
Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009

firstprev| 7526-7550 | 7551-7575 | 7576-7600  | next → last
Ratings: 7,577 |  Reviews: 1,403
4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

I had this on tap at the brewery the first day it came out. It was served in a 10 oz snifter. They used over 4 pounds of hops per barrel and it came out to 100 IBU's!
A: The color was a pale golden amber. It had great clarity and was poured with a thin white head.
S: Lot's of hops in the nose: grapefruit and other citrus, flowers and slightly piny. Very similar to Union Jack
T: It has a very light caramel light body followed by a huge hop explosion as expected. Good balance but on the hoppy side. Very similar to the nose but I could tell there were a lot more cascades than Union Jack. It left a resinous hop coating on my tongue for a long aftertaste.
M: Heavy alcohol feel and very resinous. Medium body and soft carbonation. Aggressive on the alcohol and on the hops.
D: Easy to drink at first but as it warmed up it becomes heavier and more resinous, especially by my third one.
Overall an excellent beer. A little high in alcohol and hops for most people but any hop lover will love it. They are only sending this out in 5.2 gallon kegs so get your hands on it while you can. I have been waiting on this for a while and it lived up to my expectations.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

Am I really the first to review? Here goes. From a fresh Growler 6/26/09, delivered by my wonderful girl.

A: Pours golden amber, great clarity. Two finger white head dissipates quickly, but not too fast. Extensive lacing graces the sides of the glass.

S: Hops. Like a bag of Cascades. Piney with some distinct citrus. I just don't smell any malt over the hops. Not a bad thing, though.

T: Initial impression is just wow... citrus hops all the way down. The pine flavor comes through, as well as some bitterness, but you can just taste the dry hopping. Some sweet malt in the aftertaste; it actually comes to dominate after the citrus dies down. Doesn't seem as bitter as Union Jack, but it's still there to some degree.

M: Excellent, just light enough but with enough malt to give it some backbone. I can feel this beer, but it doesn't overwhelm at all.

D: Dangerous stuff, here. I could drink this for days. Goes down so easy. Not too much of anything.

Overall, the dry hopping dominates, and I wish I could do so well with my homebrew. The drinkability is almost scary. An exceptional brew and one that I hope they do again, as the tasting room staff say they will.

firstprev| 7526-7550 | 7551-7575 | 7576-7600  | next → last
Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.33 out of 5 with 7,577 ratings