Double Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Double JackDouble Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by ThreeWiseMen on 06-25-2009

Reviews: 1,385 | Ratings: 7,510
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

- Pours a crystal clear light shiny penny copper color.. minimal off-white finger of head quickly down to a bubbly ring and some scattered islands of thin foam.

- Big citrus and fruit salad-like scent... caramel and grainy malt... some bitterness, earthy and grassy notes.

- Rather big sweet caramel citrus double IPA. Sweet caramel grains, citrus hops, earthy and nutty.. slightly buttery.. overall not too bad, but not quite what I was hoping it to be. Little too sweet and grainy for me.. not enough of that biscuity bready west-coast like IPA'ness..

- Medium bodied, bubbly, bit sticky and thin.. chewy, slightly drying..

- Overall it is drinkable, but a bit too sweet for my taste in double IPA's. To be quite honest.. it is much like the Pyramid Outburst I just had before it.. and that was under $7 a 6-pack. Price doesn't affect my beer judging.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Crystal clear, carbonated, white 1/2 finger to nothing head. Laces nicely coating edges of the glass well. Orange to gold color.

S: Big notes of pine and grapefruit. Slight citrus, caramel sweetness and alcohol fuesely.

T: Pine, caramel, sugar, sweetness, hop bitterness, lingering citrus, lime and pine flavors. Hangs on the tongue long.

M: Thin and sweet. Alcohol is slightly warming.

O: This is pretty good but not my favorite double ipa at the moment. It need more assertive hopping for my palette.

3.62/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a 650mL bottle into a BrewDog cervoise glass. Bottled 12 May 2011. From notes. Reviewed 8 July 2011.

A: Very nice, tight, light head. Light yellow-orange; clear. Good lacing.

S: Huge and great hops. A bit vegetal. Ruby grapefruit. This is what an IPA should smell like.

T: Disappointing. Light, vegetal hos, a bit malty-strong as well. The aftertaste is hoppy-dry. Humph. Better DIPAs are out there.

M: Nothing to complain about here. Malty-robust. A bit dry. Good.

O: Good beer. I'd recommend it, if not have again. As I said, if you want a Double IPA, seek elsewhere.

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Consumed 06/26/09 at Blue Palms, Hollywood.

Clear, deep amber pour into a snifter. Very small off-white head which dissipated fairly rapidly. Not much carbonation evident in the glass.

Smells like oily, resiny pine sap.

Flavor is not quite all the way to huge, but close enough for this BA. Better balanced and lighter than expected - lacks the syrupy/hop burn character of some other DIPAs.

Hops seem to make up about 80% of the flavor; a caramel malt profile is largely eclipsed. There are several well-blended hop flavors in there; I struggled to pick them all up. Pine sap, grapefruit, and a bitterness with the half-life of uranium 238 were the ones I could put my finger on.

Mouthfeel is good but unremarkable for the style.

I have to say I didn't find this beer particularly drinkable; the one snifter I had was more than I could handle. Mitigating circumstances: I had already had 40 ounces of strong beer and a spicy BBQ sandwich, so maybe I was already used up when this came around.

I recommend having this one first or early in your session.

3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Served in fluted goblet. Poured a medium golden amber color with about a half-inch of white head that had OK retention and good lacing.

The aroma was mostly piney hops with some grainy malt laying underneath. The pine notes were all over the front of the tongue, with some citrus in middle and a nice malt base.

The body wasn't as full as I'd hoped but still fuller than a lot of the style. Drinkability was pretty good for a brew this strong and hoppy. Overall, a very good example of the style, worth trying when you see it.

3.64/5  rDev -15%

Color: yellow, with a drop of orange
Smell: very strong, citrusy aroma filled with grapefruit and a hint of apricot
Taste: Very piny and sour, though not very hoppy for a DIPA
Mouthfeel: Went from a soft to hard feeling, yet very smooth and light on the carbonation
Overall: Double Jack was good, and was certainly with the try, yet it is by no means my DIPA of choice. Would I repeat? Certainly. Would I go out of my way to repeat? No.

3.64/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. Tight white head with low carbonation. The body is a pale/golden color and thin for a Dbl IPA. The aroma is of piney hops. The bottle was more than 5 months old so that could have led to the hops presence being a little underwhelming. But the thin body was not expected.

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Received in a trade with Destral, thanks again! Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my trusty "Crab House" pint glass.

A- Looks good! Straw colored, slight head and lacing on the glass.

S- Very nice! Not sure what to expect tastewise with this smell, Hop blast or something similar? DIPA's scare me, kinda like porters, never know what you're going to get hit with on them.

T- This one loses a bit for me. Fairly hot in my opinion. Just spicey, or zesty or some other descriptive that I can't ascertain at this point.

M- Very nice. No problem with this aspect.

D- I really appreciate the chance to try this great brew, but I prefer a Pliny (yeah, go figure) fresh Hopslam, Sculpin or Nugget Nectar to this zesty taste. I guess DIPA's are too much for me at this point in time although I'm sure with a great DIPA like this it will garner a lot of fans.

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Draft service into a half-pint goblet at Whole Foods in Tustin.

A: Very hazy, dark golden color with one finger of persistent off-white foam head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass.

S: All hops and fruity sweetness, with an intense blend of citrus fruit (displaying a bright grapefruit side as well as darker citrus). Tropical fruit is also present in the smell, but less aggressive, and pine foliage is detected strongly at first but diminishes toward the end of the glass. No alcohol smell is detected.

T: Citrusy hop aromatics are abundant up front as this beer starts sweet and stays that way throughout. Hop aromatics soon become more varied, with some pine as well as floral notes that were not present (or perhaps just buried) in the smell. In the middle some faintly toasty graininess appears, but flavors remain hop-forward. Bitterness is moderate in the finish, remaining nicely accented with grapefruit peel, but not lingering long on the palate. No flavor of alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, very syrupy and heavy on the palate to the point of being unappealing, with very little carbonation.

D: While not a home run, this beer does have a special talent and that talent is projecting its West-coast hops profile in high fidelity. Drinkers looking for multi-layered complexity in their DIPAs should search elsewhere; all that Double Jack has to offer is one pure, resonant note. The texture of this beer is its greatest failing, not so much sticking to the palate as blanketing and suffocating it. Despite moderate bitterness and a fairly short finish, it leaves the palate wrecked and in need of re-calibration.

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

I've passed up on this a few times, saw pretty fresh bombers today (dated 4/20) and decided to get one.

Color is translucent glowing orange/amber, white head settles to a cap and thick ring leaving some lacing.

Nose is very earthy with grapefruit, lemon and floral-ness, perfumey almost. Decent strength.

Ultra herbal, piny, grapefruit hops and sweet toffee candy malts in the taste. Some citrus coming out later on. Still a bit perfumey.

Pretty bitter but in my opinion the malts are too sweet and huge. Carbonation on the high side, abv well hidden.

Good, but this disappointed me. I enjoyed it more once it warmed but not my favorite hop flavors, and too sweet for my tastes.

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours orangey gold with a nice frothy tan head. Malty aroma with a variety of spices and herbal hops. Sweet malt flavor with sugary bread that washes into a big herbal hop blast. Nice fruitiness but the bitterness is too modest for me. Slightly astringent, full bodied, a tad boozy.

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

22oz bottled March 15, 2012. Served at around 40-45F.

Pours clear amber with a three finger off-white head that leaves some nice rings and webs of sticky lacing and holds a real nice cap.

Aroma is grapefruit, orange/tangerine, floral hops, some pineapple, apricot, decent bit of caramel malt, some alcohol. Very good strength.

Flavor is juicy orange, tangerine, grapefruit, apricot, resinous hops, some pine, caramel malt in the middle with a bit of sweetness, finishes with good bitterness and a noticeable alcohol burn. As I get further into the bottle: apricot, caramel, alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, oily, sticky, good carbonation.

A big ’ol Double IPA, that’s for sure. Pretty good stuff, albeit with 4 months on it. Could imagine how good this would be if super fresh. Other than the age, the only real knock is the booze...this one is fairly hot for the style.

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 8/15/13. Bought & Drank on 10/11/13.

Pours a light amber color. Wonderful floral & grapefruit smell.

Initial taste is heavy on the malt, finishes hoppy & bitter, but is still smooth from the maltiness. The higher alcohol content becomes more prominent as you consume.

Not an outstanding DIPA, but still good. Worth a taste, especially if you like malt-centric DIPA/IPAs and/or higher alcohol content.

3.67/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured into a standard pint, this is a pale golden beer with a small head. The nose is... extremely citrusy... bordering on "new extra-lemony lemon fresh pinesol". It treads the border with "too much" but doesn't quite go over. The flavor is very sweet, balanced by very high bitterness, and a vast quantity of citrus hops. It just doesn't blend together very well, and does not make a particularly good beer.

3.67/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber with a bottling date of 6/24/11. The initial pour resulted in a one finger head, that faded quickly with some mild lacing. The beer is a light orange color and bit cloudy. The smell is citrus and piney. Not an overly powerful aroma, but very pleasant. The taste follows the smell. Lots of bitter citrus flavors. I was hopping for a little bit more of a hop punch, but the bottle is almost 7 months old. It is still good, but I can't help but think that I am not tasting what the brewer intended. The mouthfeel is almost oily with a fair amount of carbonation.

This was a very nice beer, but I wish I could have found the bottling date in the store. It was black ink stamped on the neck of the brown bottle. Either way, I would like to try this before some of the hops

3.68/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Crystal clear apricot colored with an orangey beige firm head that lingers long. Aroma of honey, light brown sugar, and tangerine. Flavors of tangerine, orange rind pith, red grapefruit and pine. Some malt balance, but there is firm bitterness and big hop flavors. Full mouthfeel, bitterness and ABV warm and roughen up the palette, but the beer remains fairly drinkable. Good beer overall.

On Tap @ Sidecar Bar & Grille

Look: Deep copper, clear, medium head with decent retention and good lacing.

Smell: Citrus, malt, caramel

Taste: Up Front: Pine & grapefruit from the hops. Finish: sweet malt

Mouthfeel: Medium body with light carbonation

Drinkability: You could easily throw a few of these back!

Overall Impression: The problem with this review is: I tried this beer after Pliny the Elder. Yes, I cleansed my palate and waited a few minutes, but you cannot follow that act!!! I'm sure if I had this first, I would have good things to say about it, but at the time, my taste buds were simply underwhelmed. If I see it again, I will definitely try it again.

3.68/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottled on 10/23/14. About a week over 2 months old.

Appearance- Clear golden, orange, amber color. About one inch of head produced.

Aroma- Muted aroma, but from what I can tell there is a grapefruit/citrus/pine combo along with some malty sweetness.

Taste- Hit of bitterness upfront with grapefruit and citrus hop flavors being the most noticeable. Caramel malts add a touch of sweetness at the beginning that help balance things out and help transition to some sweeter fruit hop flavors like pineapple and mango. Finish has a juicy citrus flavor along with a super dry malt that leaves some lingering bitterness.

Feel- Low to Medium carbonation, very dry and bitter, and medium-full bodied.

Overall- A good DIPA for sure, but not as amazing as I used to think it was. Really nice array of hop flavors throughout this, but the malt can be a bit too dry in the finish at times, almost to the point of astringency. Not quite a world class beer for me, but its definitely great and well worth future purchases.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed out of the bottle. It poured exceptionally clear, especially for a double, a light butterscotch color. The nose is sweet and malty. The bitterness comes thru in the first sip, with a bit of funk. The taste was malty - sweet with some alcohol burn. Overall, there are more complex doubles out there, I'd say this is OK, but maybe not unique enough to be outstanding.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 11/1/13. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours golden with great clarity; fluffy white head that eventually fades leaving nice retention and lacing. The aromas are full of sweet sticky grapefruit. There's also a decent amount of caramel malts. Some fresh orange in the mix as well. The flavors are sticky and finish somewhat syrupy. More grapefruit. Lots of orange zest. Some pine sap. Pretty sweet flavors and it has a decent malt backbone. It's definitely not boozy at all, but there are subtle alcohol notes. Some soap as well. Tastes good, but almost becomes redundant. Mouthfeel is full-bodied; active carbonation. It's smooth and pretty easy to drink.

This was my first time having Double Jack, and I'm not going to lie, I was hoping for a little bit more. It's definitely a good DIPA, but it doesn't quite live up to the hype that I've heard and read about over the years, in my opinion. That being said, it's still good stuff.

3.69/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a glass at room temperature.
A - Pours a honey-yellow color with a two finger white head. The head quickly dissipates, leaving a small amount of lacing.
S - A smooth medium hop smell. That's it.
T - Like the smell, little of no malt, just lots of hops.
M - Light in texture with no mouth coating qualities.
O - A reasonable IPA but there are lots to be had out there. I have had several Firestone Walker ales at this point and expected it to be more balanced, like the more sought after ales in the Reserve Series.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

02/02/11 (Less than a month old when we took notes)

A: Pours a hazy glowing peach color with a lovely yet short lived light orange head. Retention? Not impressed but a healthy lacing program made up for it.

S: Had the makings of fantastic. Grapefruit, mango, pineapple, pine...but there was the intrusive aroma of raw alcohol that stripped all of the other good stuff from my nostrils.

T: See above. Starts world class and finished a notch or two under that.

M: Hot! Loads of sweet slickness that gets stripped clean by some pretty overboard alcohol.

O: Started off being quite impressed but was saddened by how raw and off-putting the alcohol was.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

A: Golden body with a nice white head that lasts decently long.

S: Citrus hops and some overripe mango. I can definitely tell this is a Firestone from the smell.

T: Much more on the malty side of the scale than the hoppy side. There's a bit of a hop snap about midway, but other than that, the malts and a bit of caramel sweetness dominate this one. Not bad, but not one of the better doubles I've had.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a straight on honey color into my Darkness snifter. A nice white head with scant lacing rests atop. Big citrus, pine and hop on the nose. This smells pretty good. Hop oil coats my tongue with my sip. I really dig on that. Taste is of citrus and hop mixed with a slight crushed aspirin character. I could do without that. The sip cuts pretty dry on the backend. This is a good beer but not overwhelming.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A:pours a sharp orange, with a sticky, creamy albeit minimal head, an opaque but not muddy citrus orange color fills the glass
S:pure malt, some subtle notes of citrus and hop bitterness but not a lot
T:rich, malty and sweet but also decently bitter, some citrus like in the nose but not much maybe a hint of tangerine, a touch of honey most of it that is perceptible blends in with the malt
M:a tad syrupy, I don't mean this as a bad thing only to say that it is not overwhelmingly syrupy, kind of filling
O: a solid DIPA, I don't make a habit of buying DIPAs unless I know they are great or have heard something so I don't have a lot of average DIPAs to compare it with. That being said, it is very good, but doesn't do anything new and so with that being said is not particularly memorable, it is very good, but I would not seek it out or go to any great lengths to get it, comparing this to hopslam or snake handler is like comparing different store brand sodas, you may have your preference but you must concede that all in all they are not that significantly different. they may do certain things a tad better than the others but none are so adventurous as to be noticeably different with out a side by side comparison, not bad tho, not bad at all

Double Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.