DBA (Double Barrel Ale) | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

good
good
Read the review
DBA (Double Barrel Ale)DBA (Double Barrel Ale)

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerManDan on 08-24-2002

Ratings: 2,761 |  Reviews: 782

1.68/5  rDev -54.3%

1.68/5  rDev -54.3%

Looks great, a nice dark amber. Very inviting, but its a trap.
This one smells like vomit.
Pinching my nose, it tastes mostly like sweet malts - caramel, etc., not too interesting. Add the vomit smell, it sucks.

Probably a bad batch, bottled 11/10/14, about 10 weeks ago.
Just reading others ratings and I find that I'm not alone. Maybe many bad batches but more likely just a crappy beer. Avoid.

1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

1.83/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

07/16/16
bottle to tulip glass (dated 3/2/16)

LOOK: amber color, medium white head.
AROMA: skunk
TASTE: Mostly Malty. Something Funky. not good. Maybe this is just a bad bottle, but this not enjoyable and not what I would expect from Firestone Walker.
FEEL: Medium body. Below average carbonation.

Yuck.

1.93/5  rDev -47.6%

Poured into a pounder it formed a mediocre head that was eggshell white and left traces of lace. Brown body with medium to light carbonation.

A really odd tasting beer. I'm a category geek sometimes and I have no idea where this would fit in. It's kind of its own style so to speak. Has an odd woody backer that effects every pull. Roasted malts are somewhere between charred and roasted, creating a slightly bitter malt bill that is like drinking freshly cut dried kendling. Hops are a bit zippy although they have a tendancy to take a backseat with everything else going on. There is a sort of candied presence as well towards the beginning and lasts just for a brief second.

Notes: I really couldn't figure this one out. Not to say that complex and confusing can't be good, because it most definately can. This is just to much all over the map and the profiles are rather odd and don't blend well....Not for me.

Decent flavor not a bad beer a little hops and Carmel

2.04/5  rDev -44.6%

2.11/5  rDev -42.7%

Wow. What a disappointment. I hear great things about the near mythical Firestone 10 (one of the White Whales here at Beeradvocate.com), and was eager to try this. I actually gave it a whirl in San Luis Obispo, and yipes.

Not much carbonation, perhaps a one inch head. Taste was ... strange. I almost want to say it tasted as though it was flavored with wood chips. Some caramel/malt overtones, but nothing really to balance it out or add complexity. I see that many reviewers note some faint hops ... I detected none. A thin, strange tasting beer that wasn't my cup of tea.

It looked pretty with a nice amber color, though.

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

2.26/5  rDev -38.6%

Jan 8, 2010
12 oz bottle, no freshness date.
Clear deep amber, thin half inch head that evaporates quickly. Zero retention and no lace.
Aroma is light and one dimensional. Even after heavy agitation the only aromas detected are caramel and bready malts.
Flavor is more complex, but not by much. Caramel sweetness with a clean hop finish.
Thin, watery and boring. While it is not on my buy again list, I wouldn't refuse one if given one

2.26/5  rDev -38.6%

When I arrived in San Diego, I saw Firestone everywhere, and assumed it was a company designed to push out as much beer as possible to as many venues as possible in a kind of cruel power and territory grab. How wrong I was. Firestone is a California establishment, but this beer was the nadir of my experience with them. The aroma brings apple and cinnamons to the nose, a little sweet and spice. But the flavor is a flop. Maybe I picked a bad batch, but this is an insipid brew. The carbonation is light, which does little to nothing to cover up a bland flavor, giving off a light touch of apple skins, and little else. Disappointing, but I know, with historical precision and all the benefits of hindsight, that this brew is a shocking exception in Firestone's line up.

2.28/5  rDev -38%
look: 5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Smooth. Lacking a little flavor. Heavy bold ale missing hops. 88/100

2.35/5  rDev -36.1%

I think this beer is way overrated. I have had a few red ales but this one doesnt make my list. I think they took the beer too far on this one. The taste is almost puckering. The taste leaves a very heavy unpleasent feel. At first it starts smooth but as the taste evolves it becomes less enjoyable. An ok appearance. I would term it as harsh.

2.36/5  rDev -35.9%

2.43/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Received in a trade. Zero head. Smells nonexistent. Color is good. Tastes metallic with a slight oak notes. Mouthful is lacking. I must have gotten a bad/old bottle.

2.43/5  rDev -34%

Donated by my most excellent compadre John after a beer tasting that I was out of town for.

Pours ambers with little head & some serious running carbonation. Smells is almost invisible to the nose; the barest hint of wood & malt.

Taste is kind of funky. I get the malty amberishness, just a bit of sawdusty wood, lots of watery thinness.

Mouthfeel is thin. Drinkability? Not after this one. I may finish, I may shift to something more appealing.

2.46/5  rDev -33.2%

Pours a dark coppery brown color into my nonic with an off-white head that froths up to a proper size then dies slowly, over many sips, to a thin ring, leaving behind no lacing.

Smells are quick and extremely hard to define - there's just a little malty honey, but there are some seriously metallic scents that I just can't quite figure out. I think they must come from the hops, or the oak barrels, or something related thereto. Maybe a bit grassy - yep, smells like a hay bale or my uncle's barn.

The taste is equally hard to define, but its' very thin, and what's available to taste is somewhat unpleasant. A kind of metallic, brash flavor, almost like asparagus or raw vegetables - very coppery and one-sided. Not very balanced at all.

Mouthfeel has a reasonable amount of carbonation at first, which quickly dissappears and becomes very watery. Very thin for an ale.

This is drinkable in mad gulps, but it's just not living up to my standards. I really wouldn't even want to drink this with a meal. I had it at a friend's recommendation but wouldn't recommend it to another friend.

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

DBA (Double Barrel Ale) from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.