DBA (Double Barrel Ale) | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

DBA (Double Barrel Ale)DBA (Double Barrel Ale)
3.67/5
DBA (Double Barrel Ale)DBA (Double Barrel Ale)

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, bottled on 1/28/13. I'm hoping it's not too old.

A: Pours a deep orange, crystal clear, with 1.5 fingers of off-white (orangeish) head from a vigorous pour. Head quickly dissipates do a thin, bubbly layer with just a little lacing left on the glass, but plenty of stickiness on the side leaving lacing as I drink.

S: I would never guess this an English Pale Ale, but the malts do have that aroma to them now that I look for it. The nose is dominated by sweet, sticky malt character... very little hopping. Definitely fruity. Malt leading into alcohol, and something else clean that I cannot recognize, perhaps from the yeast.

T: The taste follows the nose, hitting strong with lots of malty sweetness. Finish is nice and smooth with bitterness lingering after the sip has finished, but not too evident in the character of the beer. Pretty nice. A little much alcohol shows up for a 5abv beer, but this taste is malt-dominated. Not quite as hoppy as I'd like (not just as a hop-head, but for the style), but otherwise very nice.

M: Interesting, because this beer is very carbonated (maybe a little too much), but still coats the mouth and lingers with its stickiness (again, maybe a little too much). That said, the mouthfeel isn't bad, and the beer drinks quite well. In fact, I find the lingering stickiness making me want another sip pretty much immediately, so I'm probably going to put this pint away fast enough that I'll be opening another brew shortly.

O: A good beer. Not a great beer, but I'm definitely not sad I'm drinking this. While I don't tend to like many English Pale Ales (based on a small sample space), I'm finding this interpretation of the style to be enjoyable. Maybe a little on the sweet side for its own good, and the hop bitterness is left wanting for its style. Perhaps this is just a consequence of the 4-month-old bottle... I may have to revisit this fresher.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

DBA (Double Barrel Ale) from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.67 out of 5 with 2,775 ratings