DBA (Double Barrel Ale) | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

DBA (Double Barrel Ale)DBA (Double Barrel Ale)
3.67/5
Good
DBA (Double Barrel Ale)DBA (Double Barrel Ale)

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerManDan on 08-24-2002

Ratings: 2,782 |  Reviews: 786
2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured a light brown with an almost offwhite head which subsided quickly leaving a little lace. The aroma was malty with a a healthy dose of fruity esters and reminded me of aromatic malt or some other mildly roasted malt. The initial taste was sweet with the hops playing a minor role in the flavor and bitterness. The majority of the flavor was of a clean blend of dry, roasted malts and sweeter pale malts with a touch of a citrussy and flowery hop flavor at the end. I think this is a little too close to the pale ale style for me while the brewery calls it an amber ale i like a little more malt complexity in my ambers than this one can provide. An average pale ale this brew makes a mediocre amber ale and the folks at Firestone should work on the recipe a little more.

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

I did not like this beer at all. From first sip to last gulp, all I tasted was a bitter no flavor beer. The bitterness was over powering to me. I'm not a big pale ale fan, but this brew really turn me off.

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This review may not be relevant as I had this 6 months past the bottled on date. I really did not like this at all. It had very little flavor and the flavor it had was not good in my opinion. I hope to try a more recent bottle because the reviews I'm seeing are going right against what I tried.

2.71/5  rDev -26.2%

Tasted from a 12oz bottle.

Appearance - Pours a super light and clear amber color with a thin but long lasting off-white head.

Aroma - The primary aromas are of malts. Brown sugar and cereal also come through. As the beer warms, a slight peach smell starts to come through.

Taste - The taste is a little fruitier with the peach coming through. It is a little malty, but overall underwhelming. Not much complexity but a nice bitter finish.

Palate - Very clean and bright. The carbonation average, just as I would expect.

Overall - This is a solid session beer, but not much beyond that. It does not have any of the complexity that I look for in a truly special beer.

2.72/5  rDev -25.9%

This one poured an amber hue with a good sized head and tons of bubbles racing up from the depths of the glass.

Bright aroma, mostly made up of lemon zest, grass, a tinny twang and alcohol. Not as robust or balanced as I would have wished.

The taste has better flavor qualities than the nose, which was welcomed. Juicy orange, and a toasty backbone was really about it though. None too heavyweight.

The body is a a bit lacking. The feel was watery and there's wasn't much else in the feel to distract from that. Carbonation is low, and only a slight dryness keeps me wanting more.

2.74/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, purchased on the East Coast. (Unfortunately I have no idea how long this bottle sat on the shelf, or how long it took to get to Maryland before that.) Consumed from a Sam Adams beer glass.

Pours a medium copper color, brilliant clarity. Thin bright head that dissipates quickly, leaving a minimum amount of lacing.

Some caramel notes on the nose, also some stale wet-paper oxidized aromas. Zero hop aroma. I'm not put off by this, especially knowing that this might be an old bottle, but at the same time there is little here to entice me to drink. If I knew for certain that this was relatively fresh I would be disappointed.

Nice malty flavor, some toffee and biscuit as well. Not caramelly enough for the style, could use more crystal malt. Gentle hop bitterness, not enough for an American Amber style but not completely lacking, either. Enough to keep this from being a malty beer, but that's about it. I was expecting a bigger hop presence.

Medium mouthfeel, carbonation is nice and adds a bit of zing to make up for the missing hop bite.

A very drinkable beer, but a bit disappointing compared to what I've heard. I hope to find a known-fresh sample at some point to compare to this one.

2.74/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

A - Vigorous pour makes half a finger of bubbly off-white head over slightly hazy pale amber body. Not a lot of retention and no lacing.

S - Malts, apricot and caramel and biscuit.

T - Slightly bitter and fruity upfront. Somewhat astringent. Malts are earthy and subdued.

M - Medium/light body with moderate/high carbonation. Body is somewhat thin and watery. Mixed with large bubbly carbonation makes for a slightly soda-like mouthfeel.

O - Not bad and not great. The mouthfeel really doesn't work for me. It's too thin and too bubbly. This could possibly be a good session beer. Flavors are ok, but fairly one note. I'd have no problem drinking it if offered one, but I don't plan to pick this up again.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

When you read something along the lines of Double Barrel anything you really are expecting some level complexity and I found this to be a bit watery and didn't do it for me.

Aroma: dry hops, bit malty, sour
Taste: malty, but generally hoppy and a bit thin

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

DBA (Double Barrel Ale) from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.67 out of 5 with 2,782 ratings