Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Solace | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

SolaceSolace
3.65/5
Good
SolaceSolace

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Added by ThreeWiseMen on 04-01-2010

3.09/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a mug. Produces a very thin head which dissipates quickly. Golden with a hint of orange hue. For an unfiltered beer, there is curiously no hint of sediment. Medium to high amount of bubbly carbonation seen around the edges and in towards the middle. Smell is of wheat malts, astringent. taste is of wheat, orange, honey. Feels heavier than expected not he palette and salty. Overall a decent but forgettable brew.

2.01/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

I'm trying not to be too harsh, but I really could not drink this beer. It poured well, had a nice hazy unfiltered look with a descent head (what you should expect from an unfiltered wheat beer), but immediately I could tell that I wasn't going to like it. The aroma was overwhelmingly of banana esters and sweet off 'bubble-gum' like flavors. I took a sip and it was just more of the same. After two sips I decided that I couldn't drink it. It's probably just my personal preference, since I HATE bananas. If it was a flavor that I enjoyed this probably could have been a good beer. Odd that it has such a distinct and odd flavor profile. Oh well....

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.11/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served from the bottle into a tulip glass....

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a half a finger head that dissipated quickly to very little lacing around the glass. A little on the fizzy side.

On the nose, not too much going on.... wet grains, wheat, maybe grass and a yeasty note. After swirling, a little more yeast, banana esters and bubblegum comes through.

Tastes of bread, wheat, a slight sour/tartness and maybe a little funk or off-taste (can't decide). A citrus note here along with just a hint of spice.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, not too dry with a bitter yeasty aftertaste, medium carbonation.

Decent wheat beer and certainly not something anyone should run from or flatly refuse if offered. Sessionable and a good summer beer wherever you are. For me, this one is in the middle of the pack compared to other wheat beers I've tried.

Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.99/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

An excellent unfiltered heff. Very smooth, but has a tangy zest to it. No much wheat or chew, but an excellent overall heff. Thing of Blue Moon but more character and flavor. Mouthfeel was ok, I found myself trying to get rid of some of the bubbles, bit I can deal deal with that. Overal I thought it was outstanding and would buy this over blue moon or pyramid.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Solace from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.