Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Firestone 14 - Anniversary Ale | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Firestone 14 - Anniversary AleFirestone 14 - Anniversary Ale

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Strong Ale

The blend consists of: 31% Double Double Barrel Ale, 29% Sticky Monkey, 27% Parabola, 7% Velvet Merkin, 3% Good Foot, 3% Black Xantus

Added by ZX6Chris on 11-02-2010

Reviews: 299 | Ratings: 708
Reviews by Overlord:
3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

I'm just not sure what to make of these anniversary blends. 10 was fantastic. 11, fresh, was as good if not better. 12 after a few months was also superb. Not the hugest fan of 13, and now ... well, this was fairly meh.

Pours a dark brown with ruby/ruddy highlights. Almost no head or bubbling, just some crust around the edges of the glass.

Smells boozy with bourbon, brandy, and just straight alcohol. Wow. Lot of heat here. Tons of vanilla, oak, and ... chocolate and dark fruits in the aroma.

Taste is surprisingly fruit forward, considering it wasn't really in the nose all that much. Kind of a raisin puree base, with chocolate, more oak, tons of alcohol (bourbon and that kind of weird port alcohol flavor), more alcohol, yet more alcohol, and an interesting aged fruit liqueur flavor mixed in. It's just too. damned. hot, and the base, while flavorful, isn't strong enough to balance it out.

Mouthfeel was nice and slushy, but it was a chore to finish the entire 22 oz., and I love me some booze.

**I pulled the ingredient list out of the trash and was very surprised to see a bunch of barleywines and a double (???) pale ale featured predominantly. Okay... that's interesting ... but I'd say having three or four "lighter" barrel aged beers in the mix is probably the reason for the alcohol heat without the accompanying stronger flavoring.

I don't know ... considering the price tag, I'm tempted to be pretty harsh with this review, but I guess I'll leave the cost out of it. I'm glad I didn't buy more than the three bottles I did.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

3.76/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to mar for sharing this bottle. I have been looking forward to this one.

The beer pours a dark brown coilor with a white head. The aroma is a disappointment. It it not bad, but it is not what I was expecting. I get a lot of soy and toffee, as well as some leather. I also get something that resembles trash. Hopefully the flavor will be better.

For the flavor, I get a lot of roasted malt and chocolate, which is coupled with a lot of barrel-aging characteristics. I get a nice amount of oak and maple, as well as quite a bit of vanilla. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Luckily, the flavor was much better than the aroma, which salvaged this beer. Glad I got to try this one.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz bomber poured into a wine glass.

Pours a very dark black color with hints of ruby and a small ring of dark brown head. Nose is a bit sweet, but very oaky and mellow with very little booze.

Taste is amazing, super complex with raisins, dark fruit, sweet malt and sharp flavors. Very drinkable given the abv. very tasty beer.

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2010)

Thanks for the gift, NoSignsOfPain!

(Aged 1 year)

Very dark brown in color with ruby red highlights near the edges. There is very little visible carbonation and no head to speak of whatsoever.

Divine aroma of toasted coconut macaroon cookies, bittersweet chocolate, mild roast, and plenty of earthy and vanilla bourbon notes. Complete. Mild hint of alcohol until it warms fully to room temperature, then more booze certainly becomes present.

Coconut, bourbon, roast, mild chocolate, and a bit of alcohol heat make for a lovely combination.

Medium mouthfeel with very low carbonation.

A wonderful blend, though I wish it would have been just a tad more carbonated (and thicker).

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Black. Expected lighter given the other beers in the blend that aren't stouts. Bourbon dominated nose.

Easy drinking for the abv. Muddles all the beers blended, I can't taste Parabola or Velvit Merlin, etc. . . but it is interesting. Bourbon is heavy, but not as much as its aroma was. A little bit of everything else, chocolate, oak, vanilla, rummy sweetness, brandy, some other kind of wood heavier than oak, chicory? Not too thick, actually on the thinner side of most beers in this abv range. Maybe a kick of dark sugar.

While this was great fresh on tap, I think it definitely has the build to age miraculously. Of my bottles, I'm going to hang on to all of them for at least one year I think. This really seems ageable.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer pours a very dark brown color that when held up to the light just barely shows a slight dark mohogany color. It boasts a thin light brown head that fades fast, leaving no lace.

There is a lot going on in the nose on this one. I detect dark fruits up front. Figs and raisins. I get some smooth vanilla. Bourbon is present, but not overpowering. Some bitter cocoa. Sweet toffee and caramel mix in as well. You can detect the 12.5% ABV in this aroma.

This beer has as complef a flavor as it does aroma. Vanilla first, with some fig/raisin flavors. Bourbon is present, more dominate in the flavor than the aroma. It has a very sweet caramel flavor. It is damn sweet.

This beer is very full bodies. It warms the mouth, throat, and stomach on the way down. This beer is low in carbonation, fitting the style.

This beer is definately a sipper. The very aggressive flavor and the high alcohol content make this one hard to put down by myself, but I think I will manage.

Overall: I felt that the 4th of July would be as good a day to crack open the $22.95 bottle. I have been sitting on it for a while. I am glad that I opened it. It is great. Firestone Walker is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries. This beer is great and will last all night long.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Firestone 14 - Anniversary Ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.