Wookey Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Wookey JackWookey Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by barleywinefiend on 03-11-2012

Ratings: 4,615 |  Reviews: 702

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer is delicious, and rich and amazing!

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

(Written July 23rd, 2015) My first Review!

22OZ bomber. When I bought this it was sitting in a refrigerated cooler at a grocery store, and the date on it was 12/19/14 (at over 7 months old); my guess is, being chilled, it retained most if not all of it’s hopped flavor. It was a very good beer, with lots of hop flavor, and a very heavy mouth-feel. It poured very dark, with a nice, light, caramel-colored head. It is one of the better (if not one of the best) IPA type beers I have had.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. "Wookey Jack"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED ON: 01/05/16" so a year and 5 months old
$3.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness; A friend of mine introduced me to Wookey Jack about a year ago. He had a 6-pack at one of his parties and I ended up drinking almost the whole thing. It immediately became one of my favorite beers. I love that it's hoppy, but not so much so that the malt can't compete, and that the rye shows clearly; and looking at what I've got in front of me, given that it's well over a year old, it's surprisingly hoppy - I could smell the hops when I opened the bottle. Anyway, I'm not sure when this was discontinued but I haven't been able to find it - I'm sure there are fresher bottles around, in fact this one from Total Wine & More was probably bottled before the ones that I got from my friend! I bought it anyway, despite the price, because I like it that much; and to be honest, upon tasting it now the malt has held up extremely nicely as well. There's a touch of oxidation there, sure, but it's not bad, I'm still enjoying it. All of the dark chocolate is there, the softer fudge-like and caramel notes, the roastiness, the spice from the rye, and the pine and citrus from the hops - and if there's one thing that's missing it's that the citrus seems to have waned a little. Oh man, I'm going to miss this one. Hopefully I'll come across some that's been discounted and I can buy up the lot. I said before that if the new Leo v. Ursus beers were all as good as the Forte it would be worth it to discontinue some others, but sitting here with one in my hand I doubt that. This is the best black rye IPA that I've ever tasted, and probably one of my top 10 favorites - or at least one of my top 10 favorite dark beers, that's definite. A moment of silence. ... ... ... Wookey Jack, you will be missed.

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

The appearance has a black body with a three finger off-white foamy head, leaves some clingy slightly foamy lacing in rings. The smell has some slightly roasted coffee. There is some rye, slight citrus/pine coming through in a spicy sort of way. The taste is mainly bitter, some slight coffee - but mainly subdued, hopped - yes, but balanced and extremely flavorful. There is a dry yet bittersweet aftertaste and finish. On the palate, its about a medium, comes across fairly sessionable - maybe perhaps, and the ABV slightly felt. Overall, I’d say this is very good for a Black Ale and I would come back to this.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a standard 12oz into a short stem tulip glass. 8.2% ABV.

Look: Awesome jet black color, almost no head of foam, trace amounts of lacing.
Smell: Roasted malts, sweet chocolate, hints of coffee. Very subtle pine as it warms.
Taste: Much more hop forward. Bitter, piney, much more coffee. Even malt character that gives it a necessary balance. Really nice profile.
Feel: Low but sharp levels of carbonation, smooth but sticky. Pretty light body.

Great beer overall. Incredible aromas balanced by a hop forward , malt balanced Rhye IPA. Exactly what you'd want and expect from the style.

3.54/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.66/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.64/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I don't feel like writing a review, but this deserves it's high ratings. I don't see many black IPAs but the ones I;ve tried don't compare.

Smells like chocolatey alcohol, creamy malts, clean water, bitterness if you look for it.

Taste blends hop bitterness with the roasted creaminess of the rye.

4.78/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I REALLY like this one. Never had this style of beer before and I was incredibly surprised with how great it was. Citrus and bitter hops along with chocolate (similar to orange laced dark chocolate). I can't wait to try more of these styles of beers.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%

4.02/5  rDev -5%

Wookey Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.