Wookey Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Wookey JackWookey Jack
Liked This Beer
4.25 w/ 4,615 ratings
Wookey JackWookey Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Alströms:

Ratings: 4,615 |  Reviews: 702
3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 2/2/14

Pours near black with ruby highlights. and a 2 1/2 finger tannish head. that leaves copious lacing.

Aroma of coffee and milk chocolate with dried fruit, ripe citrus and peppery rye.

Coffee more than chocolate in the taste . The roast is more apparent here as well, it's rather smokey. Sweet roast malt and tart citric hops.

Medium to medium full in body. Syrupy and moderately crisp. Slightly warming and somewhat drying.

Another excellent offering from FW. Rich and creamy. Full of flavor and aroma.

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a beautiful foamy head from a 22 oz. bomber. (Used an IPA glass) An island of foam remains as a nice lacing is left behind on the glass. A dark brownish ale which allows some light through.

S- I'm getting a nicely roasted profile of scents from this ale, my sense of smell can't isolate all of it but it's damn good.

T- This is black IPA done right, it's like taking a beautiful IPA base and melding it with the roasted flavors that can be found in a good stout.

M- Nice amount of stickiness and bitter profile going on, it makes you want to crush an 8.3 ABV ale.

O- I'm becoming a Firestone Walker fanboy, this is a high quality black IPA and it certainly makes me understand the parabola quest that everyone seems to be on. I put this at the head of my black IPA class.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.01/5  rDev -5.6%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

One day I walked into a pub, hankering for a burger, to go. The hostess took my order and told me I could have a seat at the bar while I waited, so I did. The bartender asked "What'll ya have?" and I said, I'd like a beer that's "Chewy". (I refer to my stouts, porters & other full-bodied brews as "beer that drinks like a meal"!). She said "Oh! You want the Wookey!" I said "Um....Sure!". (I didn't make the "Star Wars" connection until much later... it was pure coincidence that she perceived what I said, that way.)

She came back with a brandy snifter, filled with an opaque black liquid, topped with a thin brown head, poured off the tap, with an aroma of coffee and hops. Somehow, I knew this was going to be special.

And it was! Love at first sip! I'm no poet, but the rich flavor was it for me. By the time I got to the bottom of the glass, I knew I had been ruined for all other beers! I had a second, which gave me the perfect buzz, while I ate my burger at the bar!

Other than Heddy Topper, which I've the privelege of getting my hands on, occasionally, Wookey Jack is, to me, the best beer in the world. I'll keep searching and I've got a long journey ahead, but my Chewy beer has set the bar high, for me.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Wookey Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 94.2% out of 100 with 4,615 ratings