Wookey Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Wookey JackWookey Jack
Liked This Beer
4.25 w/ 4,615 ratings
Wookey JackWookey Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

4.25/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,615 |  Reviews: 702

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Pretty much pitch black in the glass. Poured a huge, sticky, creamy 2 finger head. Awesome lacing.
S- Big tropical fruit and floral up front. Orange, pineapple, grapefruit, pine, dank, caramel, and slight roast when you dig in.
T- Sweet citrus and tropical fruit over caramel, bread, and roasted malts. Finish is huge roasted malt, char, and light bitter chocolate that is almost instantly assaulted by a massive pine bitterness. Char and bitterness is overpowering. Aftertaste adds a slightly metallic spice from the rye and a touch of grapefruit.
M- Medium body. Oily and resinous. Intensely drying with big lingering bitterness.
O- This was one of those I know is a well crafted beer, but I just can't dig it. The aromas were heavenly, but the taste ended far too burned and bitter for my palate. I don't think I can recall a beer's taste deviating so drastically from its smell, which is really an accomplishment, I suppose. Huge flavors, nice complexity, just not my style.

3.89/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into New Belgium globe glass.

A: Very dark brown with a tan colored head.

N: A mix of pine scented hops, spicy rye, and some dark roasted malt with a note of milk chocolate and cookie dough.

T: Confirms nose with a full-bodied mouthfeel and displays good balance for the style. Long lingering finish with all flavors integrated well.

O: Black IPAs are not a popular choice for me, but I certainly have tried a fair amount of them. This one stands out for its balance and integration of flavors. When you have dark malt, big hoppy aromas and bitterness, as well as some dry, spicy rye it can be difficult to keep everything in check. You can see how this could become a "tug o' war" event on your palate with each flavor fighting to overpower the others. However, this beer was not the case. Everyone played well in the sandbox.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

2.75/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I have to say that after the rating of 95 by BA and 100 rating by RB, I was expecting something great. Well, let's just say that I was underwhelmed. It's an IPA that dark, so there's some bitterness to it, but not too much. Similar to to great divides IPA. The Tate's is good, but greatly dissapointing for me since I'm a Stout lover. Mouthfeel is bubbly and warm notes of hops, some dark chocolates and fruits.

Overall, it's okay. Nothing great. In the same vein, I'd choose something like great divide Titan IPA instead.

That being said, I recommend stouts. Dogfish Head World wide stout is awesome.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

Wookey Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 94.2% out of 100 with 4,615 ratings