Wookey Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Wookey JackWookey Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by barleywinefiend on 03-11-2012

Ratings: 4,615 |  Reviews: 702

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours jet black with a light tan head maybe 1 finger and dissipates quickly decent lacing.

Tons of roasted coffee carmel and toffee in the nose mixed with juicy citrus and some slight piney notes. The nose isn't as powerful as I thought it might be.

Tastes great lots of dark roasty chocolate malts and huge hop flavor lots of great resin and pine with hints of floral and citrus throughout. Love the balance in this beer 80 IBU's in this monster but the malt easily goes toe to toe with the hops and the 8% alcohol content is hardly noticeable. Its says there is rye in it I don't detect the flavor but there is a certain spiciness which could also be the hops that add to that.

Love this beer great sipper and warmer. I could definitely pick up a few more bombers of this without a doubt. Firestone Walker is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries! Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- jet black. With a light tan white head, doesn't last too long

S- I'm surprised by the amount of tropical fruits I'm getting, nice west coast IPA with a kick, great earthy notes and roasted malts, also spiciness from the rye.

T- wow this is great, I'm getting everything that I got in the nose, big tropical hops up front hit the palate first followed by a little roasted malt and spicy rye in the finish but then leaves a bitter hop aftertaste.

M- dry, medium body, smooth and easy to drink, nice amount of carbonation

O- overall I didn't know what to expect from this, I didn't look up any reviews before I cracked it open and it blow me away, great black IPA, very complex brew and I love what they did with the rye also, I'm picking up different flavors every sip, overall they nailed it.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a pint glass

A: Nice black pour, good amount of head that stays around and leave nice lacing

S: Good hops nose, plenty of nice aromas of earthiness

T: Man this is good, nice balance of hops and malt, good rye flavor coming through with a little spice.

M: Nice thickness and carbonation fit it well.

O: This is a great beer, would drink again but won't be in my weekly rotation

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Wookey Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.