Wookey Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Wookey JackWookey Jack
4.25/5
Outstanding
Wookey JackWookey Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by barleywinefiend on 03-11-2012

#768

View: Beers
Ratings: 4,623 |  Reviews: 702

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

Picked up a bomber of Wookey Jack from the local Central Market on the advice of a friend, and was not disappointed.

Poured into a snifter, the Wookey Jack is a nice dark brown color, with a faint mahogany hue at the edges when held up to the light. Light brown head with decent lace. The nose jumps right out at you from the get-go. Big and hoppy with lots of pine and some fruity notes. Faint vanilla and fig. Really nice. The taste is bold as well - sweet up front with lots of smooth hops and a dense smokiness in the finish that I wasn't expecting. Dark fruit with some pepper too. Mouthfeel is firm and crisp.

This is a solid beer. A bit mysterious, even. I feel there are several layers of this beer that I haven't yet tapped into, but will reveal themselves to me as I make my way through the bottle. This is a great beer for a cool fall evening on its own, but would also make a great partner for a nice blue cheese or beef stew. Might go great with fried chicken as well. Good stuff.

2.75/5  rDev -35.3%

4.64/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this one probably at least eight times. Reviewed from notes at The Dive Bar. Also had a recent batch at The Foundry in Northampton that was super fresh and had the brightest citrus hops I have experienced in a Black IPA.

A- Black bodied ale served in a tulip glass. Thick and very creamy light tan head. Huge lace at the top and pillows of lace continue down the glass. Head retention was pretty good.

S- Big blast of citrus, tropical, zesty and general West Coast IPA hops up front. Toasted oatmeal, roasted cracked grains and general roast in the background but not overshadowed, supports hops well.

T- Roasted grains come to mind more here but the hops still lead the way. Fresh citrus, orange peel, pine, floral and fruity hops are blended superbly with the deep roast malts. Caramel, oatmeal, spice, burnt grain and some sweetness.

MF- Silky moderately thick body with a nice high level of carbonation supporting the hops and accentuating their flavor to be honest. Some alcohol dryness and warmth with a medium bitter finish.

The best combo of roast and hoppy I have had to this day. Something about it is just so fresh and smooth, the flavors contrast but blend so well here at the same time. Bonus points for this general stylistic dominance.

4.07/5  rDev -4.2%

Firestone Walker's Wookey Jack pours nearly opaque with minimal head. I think my beer was mixed up and replaced with Coca-Cola in the bottling process.

It smells entirely unlike Coca-Cola though. Hops are strong on the nose with dark malts on the end. Strangely, I am reminded of lemon zest and I inhale the fumes deeply into my nostrils.

Well balanced taste. I generally dislike beers that are maltier than they are hoppy. I generally like hoppy beers with a hint of malt. This beer may change my mind.

Overall I think that this beer represents what I really like to see in an IPA, balance.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: 1/2" mocha head over black liquid.

S: Citrus, limes, apricots and mandarin oranges.

T: Black malt, rye, chocolate, limes, mandarin oranges and apricot.

M: Quite dry with medium to thick viscosity and carbonation.

O: A beautiful beer in a style I don't normally like.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Wookey Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.25 out of 5 with 4,623 ratings