Wookey Jack | Firestone Walker Brewing Co.

Wookey JackWookey Jack
4.25/5
Wookey JackWookey Jack

Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
firestonewalker.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by barleywinefiend on 03-11-2012

#752

Ratings: 4,616 |  Reviews: 702

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber poured into pint glass.

A - Black with a hint of ruby around the edges. 2 fingers of khaki head that lingers for a while.

S - Huge aroma of grapefuit and piney hops. A mild sweetness follows, a sort of roasted caramel.

T - Really great complexity in this. Grapefruit, piney resiny hops, roasted caramel malt, big bitterness, maybe a hint of pineapple. However, it is all perfectly balanced and the sweetness really balances the bitterness and hides the alcohol well.

M - Moderate body with moderate carbonation. It's creamy yet the carbonation pops enough to make the flavors stand out.

O - A really fantastic beer from FW. Huge complexity of aroma and flavor, nothing overpowering.

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle a dark brown color with two fingers of thick off-white head. Good amount of lacing left behind.

Aroma of grapefruit and pine hops along with dark caramel malts and toffee.

A well-balanced beer with citrus and pine hops together with dark caramel malts and rye bread. Finished clean.

Medium bodied and a bit sticky with a moderate carbonation.

This is a complex and very tasty beer from Firestone Walker. All Black IPAs should be this good.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

This was on-tap so perhaps that skewed it so highly, but after a few sips this was one of my favorite beers I've had (I've rated three other beers with a 5).

Appearance: Dark with nice foam at the top, but not too much.

Smell: Huge nose on this one. I could smell it when it was being poured.

Taste: Love how it's not too overbearing. The alcohol isn't obvious and it's just a good clean drink. Of course I savored this one, but it was so smooth you could chug this (.. don't).

Mouthfeel: I'm not a great judge of mouthfeel, but no points deducted here.

Overall: I very seldom write full reviews, unless the beer has never been rated here, but I thought this deserved a write up and a straight 5/5. I don't get this enthusiastic about a beer often. Stouts are usually my thing and their heaviness often helps with the sophistication, but this IPA is complex enough in flavor without making any mistakes. It's something I'd reach for before my favorite Rogue beers, and while Lagunitas, Samuel Smith, and Speakeasy very seldom disappoint, I'm excited to try more from Firestone. This is a new favorite.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

OK Wookey Jack: "Black Rye IPA." This has the potential to be one of my favorite beers... Why? I have had other selections from the Firestone Walker Reserve series, and they were stellar, and well, I happen to really love good Rye beers, IPAs, and I am addicted to roasted malt.

And if looks can kill, I would be dead, because this beauty has everything: A pitch black midnight color, with tiny white bubbles rapidly rising to the surface like shooting stars if you look hard enough, and a thick frothy head that would be suitable for a milkshake!

The aroma smells delicious, imparting a melange of grapefruit-like hops, grainy, bready rye, molasses, and a touch of vanilla. Everything seems to be in perfect harmony. I only wish the scent was a bit stronger.

Wow, this taste came at me in waves, giving me chills throughout the process! Initially, the flavor has a similar effect as the aroma - it seems complex yet tightly rolled up and smooth. Delicate. Softly coating the mouth. Just moments after it started going down, an earthy rye taste crept in, and shortly afterward...WHAM, a pleasantly pungent, huge resinous hop bitterness came over my tastebuds! A touch of dark chocolate is noticeable too. The finish was very, very dry as well.

This brew seems lighter than an 8+ percent, but it does in fact warm the drinker a bit moments after a few good sips. Overall, my expectations were fulfilled - this beer did satisfy me on multiple levels. I love big, complex beers and I like the delay effect the taste had on me. To get a perfect score I would probably have liked the roast turned up a hair. I would strongly recommend this to anyone who appreciates extremely hoppy beer with a twist.

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottled 3/15/13, so almost six months old when consumed. Age probably muted the hops somewhat on this example.

Poured from the 22 oz. bottle into an Innis & Gunn flute.

a: Very dark clear almost black ruby red with a huge tan head which took its time receding to thin surface foam and extensive lacing.

s: Moderate pine with citrus notes.

t: Hops up front over a dark malty base. High ABV hardly evident.

m: Medium and slick. Very pleasant.

o: A very good black IPA with high drinkability. Not as distinctive as I had hoped given the name and brewer, but a good solid brew. A fresher bottle should have even more evident hop presence.

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bottled poured into an IPA glass. Bottled 5/28. Drank 9/8.

A - Brown, approaching black. 1 finger head. Fades quickly. Billowy foam.

S - Molasses, coconut, and applewood bacon... is that even possible?

T - Hints of mango, bitter espresso, anise, and pineapple. Bitter espresso/grapefruit rind finish.

M - Full bodied with low carbonation. Better cold, because as it warmed, it took on more of a syrupy complexion.

O - Although not generally a fan of this style of beer, I can appreciate the tastes and complexities of this beer. Recommend you try...

Wookey Jack from Firestone Walker Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.25 out of 5 with 4,616 ratings